Complete memory loss- it's happened so fast

Fan3

My Dad was diagnosed with Pantriatic cancer 9 weeks ago and told it had spread to his liver. 

In the last 2 weeks he started to get confused. Over the last few days he has completely lost his memory. He doesn't recognise any one at all it's absolutely heart breaking. He is talking very little but when he does talk nothing makes sense. He's lost the ability to feed his self and is now in hospital. He's sleeping constantly. The hospital are treating him for an infection although they can't find the infection. They will do a brain scan in the next couple of days if he does not respond to the antibiotics. 

I just wanted to ask if this memory loss is common and if it sounds like the cancer could have gone to his brain? Could this be a sign that the end is close ? X

Sorry, no advice for you, I can't answer your questions.  I just wanted to give you a virtual hug.  It sounds a horrendous situation for you all.  I hope you get some answers.

Thank you for your reply, we are still no further forward with the confusion. Dad has been transfered from hospital to a palative care ward. He no longer has an infection, His blood sugar is up and down all day, it was 20 yesterday! His Brain scan came back clear. Confusion is worse than ever but his obs are always good. This is just so so cruel! X

Just to add, the reason my Dad was so so poorly was because he had DKA but thankfully that was treated with glucose and an insulin drip but the insulin made his potassium levels low so he was then on a potassium drip x