Results

whykel

Hello 

I've been waiting over 3 weeks for mrcp results. 

I'm really struggling with not knowing. 

Is anyone waiting? 

In my own experience, the longer the delay, the less likely there is to be a serious problem.  

My late wife had a CT scan in May of 2021, and the results were were relayed back to her within a week.

Sadly, in her case those results contained some very bad news.

In my own case, my positive diagnosis of prostate cancer was relayed to me within a few days of the MRI scan.

In addition, I then needed a bone scan to see if that cancer had spread into my bones.

I waited over two weeks for those results, constantly worrying, and eventually managed to telephone someone at the hospital who then - quite casually - informed me that those results were clear - nothing to worry about in that regard!

I would hazard a guess that the longer you're left waiting, the less likely the results are going to reveal something really sinister....

It may well just be they are working through a backlog.  My mum's results took more than 3 weeks and unfortunately were not good.  Hopefully you will hear soon and it will be clear.

On 6/23/2022 at 6:49 PM, rogs said:

In my own experience, the longer the delay, the less likely there is to be a serious problem.  

My late wife had a CT scan in May of 2021, and the results were were relayed back to her within a week.

Sadly, in her case those results contained some very bad news.

In my own case, my positive diagnosis of prostate cancer was relayed to me within a few days of the MRI scan.

In addition, I then needed a bone scan to see if that cancer had spread into my bones.

I waited over two weeks for those results, constantly worrying, and eventually managed to telephone someone at the hospital who then - quite casually - informed me that those results were clear - nothing to worry about in that regard!

I would hazard a guess that the longer you're left waiting, the less likely the results are going to reveal something really sinister....

Hello roas

Thankyou for your reply. 

First I'd like to give you my condolences. 

I hope your right, but I read somewhere that in medical terms no news is bad news. 

I've left 2 voicemails with the secretary and absolutely no reply. 

I'm so worried 

On 6/23/2022 at 8:39 PM, Floofmom said:

It may well just be they are working through a backlog.  My mum's results took more than 3 weeks and unfortunately were not good.  Hopefully you will hear soon and it will be clear.

Hello 

Thankyou for replying. 

I'm sorry to hear about your mum's results.. 

I'm very frightened. 

Its like you want to know but don't if that makes sense 

Yes, I think the not knowing must be agonisingly awful.  It's not nice being left in limbo.  I do hope you hear something soon because good or bad at least you can start moving on a d getting your head round things.  Thinking of you x

If I haven't heard by Monday afternoon I'll ring pals. 

My last scan in December I received the results in 2 weeks. 

This is dreadful.. I suffer from extreme health anxiety and my consultant is aware of this so I don't know what is going on but I'm getting worried. 

Thankyou for thinking of me x

So again no letter 

This will be 4 weeks on Wednesday.. 

Still no response from consultants secretary after the 2 messages I left. 

So I have just left a message with pals. 

This is awful 

This must be so tough for you. My oncologist was concerned that my anxiety about my diagnosis would turn into depression which would make me give up. He recommended that I work with his social worker. My daughter, who is a physician, recommended that I discuss with my family physician if I should go on a SSRI to “take off the edge”. My family physician concurred. I describe it as being on this medication helps me not to “walk to the ledge” as it allows me to process information without panicking. I strongly recommend anyone dealing with this diagnosis to seriously consider medication to support their mental well being. 

I hope you hear soon. 

Hello

Thankyou for your message.. 

I take medication for my extreme anxiety and am having counselling.

I rang the hospital today, I said I haven't heard about my results in 4 weeks. The lady said have you tried his secretary? I said yes twice. 

She said it's been reported on so ill get a member of the team to contact you. 

What does that mean?? 

Frightened doesn't cover it 

This must be so difficult for you. Can your family physician or counsellor give you more support?

Is there any way that you can keep on phoning until someone returns your call?

I’m fortunate as where I live in Canada, all of our test results are posted on a secure government website so I can read the same report that my doctor is seeing. As I’m stable with CT scans every four months, the results of my CT scan is on the website the same day. Even though I feel well, it takes some courage to read the report.

Reading the results of my CT scan allows me to process the information so I can ask my medical oncologist questions when we have our appointment. 

Best wishes. 

Good afternoon to you.

Canada how lovely. My son went there with the military and said it was great. 

Our health service here is in a mess ie a complete Muppet boris johnson is useless. 

Anyway when pals (hospital team who deal with different issues) said ill get a team member to contact you, well this was over 24 hours ago. I'm frightened. 

What if something bad is there with me? 

The results are usually 1-2 weeks. 

This is horrendous. 

I'm in limbo 

My consultant knows I have extreme health anxiety so what's going on. 

I'm sorry I should have asked after you. Instead of wittering on about me. 

Have you had pc? Don't answer if that's to nosy of me. 

If your system is a mess that may explain what is happening to you receiving your results. We have a National Health System as well and there is no doubt there are issues especially after the burden of the pandemic. That being said, self advocacy is very important so you don’t slip between the cracks. 

Yes. I have pancreatic cancer. I have accepted that it won’t be cured but has to be managed. I fortunately have an excellent manager, my medical oncologist. 

Yes your right.. I won't leave it. 

I can't wait anymore days.. This is enough. If its been reported on why don't I know this. 

I'm sorry to hear about your cancer, but it's good(not the right word) it can be managed with an excellent oncologist. 

Have you had an op? 

Hello whykel.  I hope your were able to get your results at last and they were good. Take care of yourself.xx

Hello broiu

Still no results.. Going into week 5.

Getting worried. 

But pals told me it has been reported on (whatever that means) 

Thankyou for thinking of me x

Hello whykel.  You must be more assertive in your requests. Be a nuisance TODAY.  Phone everyone you can.  Even your GP. If their IT systems are linked he/she may well be able to see the results. Do explain how stressful the wait is and surely he/she can call the Hospital on your behalf.xx  

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.. I will ring again tomorrow if nothing comes in the post. 

I was told last wed that the Dr will write to me with the results. How long does it take?!?! Xx

If it’s bad news the hospital is very unlikely to write to you. They would phone you to get you into the system quicker - they still have treatment targets to meet.  If it was your GP who requested the test they would contact the GP who would contact you straight away. 

My husband had scan on a Monday, which was actually the day before a bank holiday. His GP rang him 3 days later with the news there was a mass on his pancreas. 

When I was referred for a hysteroscopy during covid the consultant rang me a week later to say it had to be repeated. 

Writing out to people is generally for those whose results are routine. 

Hello borobi 

Thankyou so much for your message... 

It was my consultant who ordered the mrcp as I'm being monitored for pancreatic cysts. Apparently they are in the uncinate region, I don't know how many or what they are exactly. 

My last mrcp was in December and I got the results in 2 weeks. This is 5 weeks today. I can't help but worry. I left 2 voicemails with his secretary over 2 weeks ago and no response. 

PALS told me it's been reported on 2 weeks ago so why haven't I got it. Does reported on mean they've all looked at it ie the MDT. 

I emailed them yesterday oh we'll message the gastro team on your behalf. 

The thing is my consultant knows how bad my health anxiety is (I have counselling and medication for this) as last time he actually rang me. 

I just don't understand why this is happening. 

I'm sorry to hear about your husband, I hope he's ok and I send best wishes to him. 

Chelle 

I think in your shoes I would go to the hospital and sit in the waiting room of the relevant department until I got my results.  

This could be a big ask for someone with anxiety, but if you plan your calm, dogged requests and responses as far as possible it might just become like acting a role and feel 'safer'.  And ideally you need a calm, supportive companion.  

Hoping that you get your results soon and that they are reassuring.  

I should add that recently I've had to visit the local hospital to arrange / clarify routine tests and procedures which my GP surgery has been dealing with for years because the surgery no longer oversees them efficiently or at all.  I'm rigidly polite and reasonable and the hospital staff have always helped so far.

Hello Thesea

Thankyou for your message. 

I finally got my results after 5.5 weeks!!! 

They said nothing had changed since Decembers mrcp. So they discussed my case at the mdt meeting. And they've said they'll repeat the scan in a years time and if still the same I might not need anymore. 

If that is the case I think I'm going to ask for them yearly for a while. 

My consultant knows I have extreme health anxiety and am medicated for it so I think it makes sense. 

• 3 months later...