new to this...cancer is back

lmatrix73

Hi, I'm new to this in that I've never used discussion boards before. My husband was diagnosed aged 41 with pancreatic cancer and had a whipples section 3 years ago. We thought he had beat it and was one of the low % to have been caught in time. He had a recent scan and last week and we were told they suspect the cancer is back as a localised recurrence. He needs another scan in 3 months to confirm and they have said he has a maximum of 2 years to live if they are correct. We have 2 small children and are very scared. First time round, with a new baby and a toddler, I did loads of research myself, and I know how awful this cancer can be. I really thought we were in the clear though, and am now so frightened about facing the future. I am trying to convince myself they have made a mistake but also I want to prepare myself for what's ahead, if they are correct. Just need to talk to people who can relate to this and need honesty too...am all over the place.

Hi

Just read your post and wanted to reply to you. Our situ isn't the same as it's my Mum that has PC and she's 65 but I'm 41 and can't imagine how hard it must be to have this at what seems a young age. The only advice I could give is to look into any natural products that may help as have spent hours looking into any and everything that can maybe make a difference to this disease (mainly because we were told surgery was a no-go and chemo would only slightly delay things which made me feel helpless) bottom line is we got some papaya leaf extract from an online company as it might possibly have some benefits and it was a positive thing to do instead of just giving up (not an option!)

Good luck and best wishes

John

Thanks for your reply...will check out the papaya leaf extract. We have been buying loads of cancer fighting foods and are trying very hard to stay positive for next scan. All the best with your mum too. 65 still seems so young!

Hi

I lost my husband who was 39, it was aug 23rd 2010, they say it's more common in 70-80 year old? But it isn't?!

I think you have to keep positive, if your husband survived the whipples op, then he can fight again, he's young, and fit, my thoughts are with you..... I know how you feel

Xxxxx

I just welled up reading that reply, but it made me feel better in a weird way too...don't know why, maybe because someone young too that understands? Not that it's any better for people a few years older! I don't know...all over place just now, and in denial. We are fighting it as much as possible. Thanks for your message and am so so sorry about your loss xx

Hi

Thing is for my Andy, it was too little too late, but you seem to have got the ball rolling quicker, the fact he has had a whipple, means that even if it has come back, it's probably not going to be as aggressive as if they just caught it first hand, so, chin up, and be positive, you have to be, or it's won, look on here at nicki and ted, they are examples of strength, and against the statistics are still fighting.

It's a postcode lottery I think, if you have a good GP, and are referred quickly, it can make all the difference, which you seem to have on your side.

Much love

Lynne

Xxxxx

• 2 months later...

Hi

Really sorry to read your post from a few months back. We are in a very similar situation. My husband had a whipples in September '09 and we were recently told that the cancer has come back. Have you been offered any further treatment?

JST