A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
jay

Re: lurking on the fringes for 10 months

Postby jay » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:26 am

thanks Cathy, he had a stent fitted before his whipples, he was asked yesterday did he have one and he replied I presume it was removed during the whipples! Hes had a better night with the pain, hes just texted
x

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:05 am

Glad they have got to the bottom of what's going on Jayne, knowing what the problem is can be the tricky bit, hopefully they can sort it out ASAP and he will feel better. Hope you are coping ok, the stress can feel unbearable at times,can't it?
Take care,
Nikki

jay

Postby jay » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:31 am

Tumour causing the blockage, they are either putting a stent in via the liver which is tricky (cant put a stent in via the throat as they did last time) or hes having a drain fitted. He looked so much better yesterday as pain is under control and hes eating. Told me his eating so he doesn't get fed via a tube as the man in the opposite bed has one.
Nikki- You are right about the stress but its amazing where you find the strength from, All you want to do is to protect your family. We have a 9 year old and Im trying to keep everything normal for her. x

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:46 pm

Hi Jayne,
Hope today has been ok and he continues to look and feel better. Having a young daughter must be hard, but having her to focus on at times must help. My girls are 14 and 16 and have had to become very independent in the last year. Probably hasn't done them any harm though as I was overprotective before!
Nikki

jay

Postby jay » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:09 am

They have decided to attempt a stent via the liver but it will be tricky as hes had a whipples.
Nikki- our daughter has certainly kept us going, shes been amazing,
Jayne x

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Hi Jayne,
That all sounds very stressful, hope it goes ok. I found it very tough when Paul went back to theatre the other week, if they haven't already done it, perhaps think about having someone with you, I didn't and now wish I had,
Best wishes,
Nikki

jay

Postby jay » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:14 am

Still waiting for stent, possibly today or tomorrow
x

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:41 am

I imagine you will be relieved when they have got it done Jayne. Presume he has had to stay in, which must be hard when you have your little girl to worry about too. I will be off line for a couple of days as we are going to Paul's Mum's, but will be thinking of you,
Nikki

jay

Postby jay » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks Nikki, hope you have a good couple of days, if stent goes well should be home in a couple of days after that. My little girl is keeping me going. She said last night, daddy's cancer is like a biscuit. The surgeon cut the lump out but he left little crumbs inside.
x

Birchen

Postby Birchen » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:44 pm

Hello Jayne
What a lovely way for your daughter to look at things. They can bring a smile and a tear to your eye with their outlook. I remember my granddaughter saying that granddad had to die on a special day (he died on Christmas day) as he was a special person. Little comments from the children keep you going. Hope all goes well. take care Lyn

jay

Postby jay » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:54 am

When i arrived at the hospital yesterday husband had just been told he was getting his stent fitted at half 3. It was 2 o clock and there was a little confusion as he had eaten some lunch but in the end that was fine as he was just sedated. Had to lie totally horizontal for 6 hrs afterwards which made trying to pass water extremely difficult.

Lyn- what a lovely thing for your Grandaughter to say, children definitely keep us going
Jayne
x

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:14 am

Hi Jayne,
Glad your husband has finally got his stent fitted and that he is feeling a little better and that he is eating, I hope he continues to improve and that he is soon back home.
Children are certainly amazing, love the bit about the biscuit, must be very hard for you with a young child, but as you say you have to keep going for her sake, and a brave face does help somehow.
We are still waiting for the appointment for Trevor's scan, was supposed to have been requested on 1st August but found out yesterday that as the Professor was on annual leave it wasn't requested until Friday last week,the 15th. We had a few days away with our granddaughters last week and I was worried that we might miss the appointment, certainly glad we went now, bit cross about it really, but what can we do, we are only one of many.
take care sandrax

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:34 am

Jayne,
So glad to hear it has been done, hope he is starting to feel the benefit. That's a wonderful analogy from your daughter, a future as a writer for her maybe? Our eldest got her GCSE results today and has done incredibly well, despite all the stress of the last year. They make you so very proud,
Best wishes,
Nikki

jay

Postby jay » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Hes home and a tiny bit better ! Sleeping quite a bit with the morphine.

Sandra- glad you got away with your Granddaughters last week and hope Trevor gets his scan appointment soon.
Nikki- fabulous news about your daughter.
I had palpitations last night for two hours, not going to drink as much coffee today, and planning on sleeping in the spare room as I constantly ask him every half hour, how are you and do you want a hot water bottle. Doing his head in !
x

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:04 pm

Jayne,
I know what you mean about the checking on how he is, just hope you sleep better in the spare room, I tried that but kept waking up as I was dreaming he was shouting for me, so went back in our bed, and just kept quiet.....hopefully tonight you will be so tired you will sleep.
Nicky huge congratulations to your daughter on her results, you have every right to be proud of her.
take care both sandrax