A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
PCUK Nurse Jeni

Re: Mum's diagnosis

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:41 am

Thanks Didge.

No Sandra, high fat content does not "counteract" creon at all - it just means that you need more creon to be able to digest it.

So, Sue, nothing wrong with chocolate at all - just need to make sure creon is taken with it, otherwise, symptoms could reappear.

Kind regards,

Jeni.

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi Jeni,
Thanks for that I think that's kind of what I meant, just didn't put it well. sandrax

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks everyone Mum is eating chocolate again!
We had a deterioration yesterday as the DR's feel she is unsafe to get out of bed at all. The tops of her legs are so heavy with fluid! This has really upset her and the indignity of toilet issues. She has pads on the bed and has to go on them! My Mum cried yesterday! She has started saying things like "do what you want with me I don't care anymore" .
To say this is heartbreaking is an understatement! My Mum is so with it and knows everything that is going on!
How much more does she have to go through? This is just cruel now.
Sending lots of love to you all out there.
Sue xxx

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:51 am

Sue,

So pleased your Mum is eating chocolate. If that is your Mum's pleasure, then she should eat as much as she likes. Not many people know about creon, you do, you look after your Mum.

I'm sorry for what your Mum is saying, I know so much how hard that is to hear, and see, and it completely breaks you. Our strong parents that have raised us, are now so fearful and so tired. You are doing such a good job Sue, you must know she loves you very much.

I read something in the paper this morning, " you never know a moment is precious, until it is memory ".

Thinking of you Sue. Keep fighting.

Leila xxx

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:55 am

Sue,
Such harrowing times for you, really sorry to hear what mum is having to cope with, and you too being there. unable to do anything except support her. Stay strong Sue, you can do it, sending love, take care sandrax xx

Didge

Postby Didge » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:29 pm

Sue, I do feel for you as a couple of days before Rob died I was told that he should not get out of bed again to use the bathroom as he was too weak. As I had been successfully helping him to the bathroom (and nobody else) for some days I wasn't sure how they decided that but assume they get scared in case the patient falls. Rob didn't mind but if it is distressing your mum so much it's a shame they can't help her to continue! Perhaps with a hoist? No harm in asking x

jay

Postby jay » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:29 pm

Sending you my love sue,
Jayne
xx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:09 pm

Thanks Didge but unfortunately Mum found the hoist distressing yesterday and today I stayed with her while physio came in. There were 3 of them and they want to help her but all I can say is it was awful! She has no strength and really no movement. This has happened quite suddenly to get to this! She was not herself today at all. Sleeping, not eating much and not looking good! She is giving up I know she is! It is like it has all suddenly become a massive reality and she doesn't want to be here. So so so sad!
Let's see what tomorrow brings.
Sue x

boa

Postby boa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:34 am

Sue, please don't feel that your Mum is giving up. My husband Stephen's experience is very similar. He seemed to decline very quickly. However, I think he, and I feel it might be the same for your Mum,carried on doing things for himself even though he was very weak and then there came a point where the weakness was too great to let him carry on looking after himself. Whilst these are such difficult times for you and your Mum I know that you admire her resilience in all you have written before. Catherine.

Didge

Postby Didge » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:04 am

So difficult for you! I have often wondered whether people decide that they have had enough and in a way, think it is better if they themselves decide that the time is right. But just when I thought Rob had got to that point, a couple of days before he died he mentioned something he thought 'worth fighting for' so perhaps the acceptance that the end is near comes and goes? Thinking of you and your mum. She has been so amazing throughout! xx

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:29 pm

Sue,
So sorry to hear your Mum is declining, I felt the same that Trevor had given up, but I am sure now in my own mind that its just the progression of this horrendous disease. It just weakens and weakens them until they have no strength left to fight, as much as they may want to. Some like Trevor have a quick end, we knew Trevor's cancer was very aggressive, others seem to carry on for much longer, as their disease is slower, I just hope that Mum settles, I am sure she doesn't want to leave you all she has fought so hard to stay, so try not to think of it as her giving up, sending love to you all sandrax xx

brodders

Postby brodders » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi Sue, so sorry to hear your mum is very weak. Please don't see it as giving up. My mums cancer was also more aggressive and she only lived 11 weeks after diagnosis. She didn't give up - to me it was a demonstration of her strength when she died. She was at peace , very strong and dignified. She wasn't frightened. It saddens me when people think it's a weakness when people 'give in' - for me it shows the opposite - to me it shows strength. Hopefully your precious mum will live for many more weeks.
Lots and lots of love Xxxxx

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:29 pm

Sue,

Please please please don't think your Mum is giving up, she really isn't. It is like saying, " are you giving up"? No your not, and neither is your Mum.

Like you have said, her mind is fully there, and it must be so frustrating that her body won't do what she wants it to. She must be tired and yes so very down. But she doesn't want to give up.

I agree with Brodders, she is strong, and is showing such strength.

My Dad never gave up, but he was so unhappy and frustrated with himself. I would tell him to stay sat down, but he would say he wasnt going to let it stop him giving me a hug, even though it took him ages, and caused him pain. He wasn't giving up, he was frustrated that his body wasn't the same anymore. Do you see what I'm saying Sue?

Love to you and your Mum.

Leila xx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Thanks everyone you are all wonderful and so right! Just had an awful day yesterday! Went in this morning and the first thing she said to me was that she had got out of bed with the help of a wheelie contraption and she is determined to keep doing it as she is too young to go into a nursing home! Well that made me smile and proves you are all right in what you say!
Mum continues to amaze me and I love her so much.
Love to you all,
Sue xxx

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:18 pm

Wow, this doesn't sound like a lady that is giving up.

Are you sure your Mum isn't secretly Superwoman?

Leila xxx