A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Fifi

Wish someone would help him

Postby Fifi » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:08 pm

I am so worried about my dad. He has just been on the phone to me, and he is incredibly distraught.
He said he has been to the toilet with bad diarrhoea at least 30 times today. He said sometimes, he didn't even make it back to the room before he had to go back. He said he has had 10, 40,000 creon with each meal, and one of those was a cup of tea and a biscuit!
He said the diarrhoea is killing him. He said he can't eat, can't drink, can't leave the house, so what is the point in trying to fight. He said cancer is nothing, the diarrhoea is killing him. He said he is fed up and can't go on like this. He said no one can help him, and no one is trying to. He said all people care about is his chemotherapy. He said he has no strength, and can't even be bothered to talk to me.

It is distressing to hear him like this. What can I do? Who can I call? How can I help?

Creon has never worked for him. There must be something else wrong with him. I just want him to have some quality of life, he has none. He has nothing at all.

J_T

Re: Wish someone would help him

Postby J_T » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:39 pm

So sorry to hear your dad is still suffering. Have you got Macmillan on board. Call your cancer help line/emergency numbers, he will be dehydrated if hes lots of diarrhoea You need answers but being weekend you are struggling.

Hope you get this sorted asap xxx

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:48 pm

Thank you for replying.

No Macmillan. His district nurse says he is too fit for one, even though he told her he wanted one. The nurse he has isn't very good, she doesn't even know how to flush his PICC line!

I've just called him again and he is in bed. He is still saying what he was saying before. I am going to call his oncologist Monday morning. What numbers do you mean? That I know of, he doesn't have any.

xx

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi Fifi,
Sorry your poor Dad is still suffering with diarrhoea, I think the numbers JT is talking about are the telephone numbers your Dad should have been given to contact the nurses at
the hospital where he is having his chemo. In our case after 6 pm and weekends we ring the telephone number for the main hospital and ask for a bleep number, the doctor then either speaks to you or rings you back, you explain the symptoms and they either give you advice, or ask you to come in, or if its the kind of emergency (eg chest pain ) they
would tell you to go to A&E. I hope your Dad improves soon he really is having a torrid time of it.take care sandrax

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 pm

Ok, thank you Sandra. I will call my dad in the morning and I will try to get him to speak to someone.
I'm just worried that he is getting too fed up with all this.

x

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:39 pm

He said no one is interested in anything. No one is bothered about trying to help with the diarrhoea. He said everyone just keeps saying to take more creon, and no one will accept that something else is wrong.

He has no quality of life. This is disgusting, it is his only symptom of cancer. He has no pain. He is eating incredibly well, in fact more than I can eat. He is wanting to leave the house but he can"t. The only way he doesn't get diarrhoea is when his stomach is empty. He cannot go on like this. He is 10 stone. He cannot starve himself just so he doesn't get diarrhoea. But 30 times in a day is not right.

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:03 pm

This sounds to be a real nightmare for you Dad Fifi. Not sure if you have discussed this on another thread but I was given a supply of Imodium (Loperamide) tablets when on chemo to take in addition to the CREONS in case I developed diarrhea. Luckily, I did not suffer at that time but currently do because of surgery and the tablets do work. Has your Dad been given any tablets specifically for the diarrhea? Can your Dad try these until he can get someone to sort it out? You can get anti diarrhea tablets cross the counter at the chemists if needed.

Not much help I'm afraid Fifi, but I know diarrhea can really get you down if not controlled.

Good luck

Steve
X

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:28 pm

Thank you for replying Steve.

He is taking 8 Loperamide's a day, as well as Codeine to try and stop it. Absolutely nothing is working for him. He has been tested recently for VIpoma in case that is a cause but we don't get the results for another few week, and he has been told that it is unlikely.
It is upsetting because he is doing incredibly well apart from this. He is beginning to lose fight.

x

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:27 pm

Please somebody help me. My dad has just called me and told me I need to do something as he is dying fast. He said he has lost a stone in the last 3 days and that he's dying fast. That's all he kept saying to me. He's dying fast. Please help me.

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:15 pm

I've called the hospital. They are sending a ambulance for him.

J_T

Postby J_T » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:06 pm

I haven't been around today but was just coming on to say - call an ambulance!

Hope he getting looked after properly in hospital fifi.

xxx

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:38 pm

He came out of hospital last Wednesday. They haven't stopped it. They don't know how.

They gave him 16 Loperamide's on the Monday and that was the only day he has had for nearly 5 months, where he never went to the toilet. They then stopped it, told him they were putting back to 8 a day as 16 was too dangerous.
Back to square one!
They then said they were going to give him Octreotide injections. Then they said they weren't. Then they said they would up his Loperamide's to 12 a day.
It is better than 40 times a day, but once the chemo starts, it will be back to 40 times a day again.
How much more weight does he have to lose before they will do something?

J_T

Postby J_T » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:17 pm

Sorry to hear of your dad's ongoing problems. Don't know what to say really. Is he not dehydrated too? Sounds like tough times. I hope you get some help asap.

Julia x

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi Leila

When are his test results through? I know they were going to take a little while but it did sound like what the support nurses here thought might be the issue probably might be. Hopefully you should get an answer soon.

The nurses will be back here tomorrow too if you need to talk to them.

Fingers crossed as always..

Cathy xxx

Janiebobs

Postby Janiebobs » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:11 am

This must be so frightening for both your Dad and you. I hope they
can resolve his ongoing problem.