A forum for advanced pancreatic cancer issues

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
sandraW

Re: Totally in awe of my wonderful Husband!

Postby sandraW » Fri May 20, 2016 1:15 pm

Hi PW hopefully you and hubby had a better night last night, and he is feeling a bit better, as Catherine says I think its great that you are letting your hubby make the decisions regarding his treatment but its so hard as we just never want to loose them. thinking of you love sandrax xx

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:04 pm

Hay PW, how are things going. I have been away for a while and looked to catch up with you but you are all quiet. I hope things are okay with you guys. x

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Tue May 24, 2016 7:02 pm

Morphine has been increased, both MST and liquid versions which has taken the edge off the pain. He still can't lay flat in bed but we are waiting for a pressure relief mattress to be delivered which might help.

It's a struggle to get hubby to drink at the moment let alone eat which is really worrying. He's on a course of antibiotics where change in taste buds is noted as a side effect and everything he tries to drink tastes bitter. His walking is not great either although he's conceded and is now using a walking stick. Other than that, all great!!

How's things your end with your Dad DG? xxx

Linda G

Postby Linda G » Tue May 24, 2016 8:26 pm

thinking of you both PW.
XXX
Linda G

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Wed May 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Thank you Linda.

How are you more to the point? Are you finding these weeks are harder than the first few weeks following Stewart's passing?

Love PW xx

Linda G

Postby Linda G » Thu May 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Nothing changes PW, the loss just seems too much to bear sometimes. I hope you and hubby are coping between you and getting some quality time together. I think of you both often. Take care.
xxxx

Paige

Postby Paige » Sat May 28, 2016 1:07 am

Hi PW,

This disease is so relentless, you are doing an amazing job supporting your husband though and I hope you are able to enjoy some quality time together.
Thinking of you both.

Paige
Xx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Sat May 28, 2016 8:12 am

Hi PW,
Just to let you know I'm thinking of you. I haven't posted for a while but do read the posts. There are no words but I'm sending you love and strength.
Love Sue X

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:56 am

Hey PW, my dad is plodding along but the side effects from chemo are pretty crap and are wearing him down. I will update more on that later. How are things going with you guys? Did you go with the 3rd line chemo? It would be good to see some improvement your end before your son's 21st. I feel sorry for myself going through this with dad at age 40 and then things make you realise there are always those who it has been even unfairer on, like your son. I hope you are okay. x

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Mon May 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Thank you everyone.

We are also plodding along! Hubby still not able to eat any food other than perhaps a fruit yoghurt and a home made juiced ice lolly. He's surviving on ensure and losing weight daily but thankfully because I was able to get 4 stone on him in the early days after diagnosis, he's got the excess to lose!

Can't remember if I've already said but he's decided that he's going to go for the lipisome Irinotecan as a 3rd line chemo in the hope that it can improve quality of life because it's a bit pants if you can't eat or lie in your bed. During folfirinox, we were able to go on holiday and lead a relatively normal life, now it's as much as he can do to sit in the car whilst I run my errands. The mind is certainly willing but the body just isn't!

DG, you've just made a very good point there, here's me posting as wifey but yes, our son has the "same role" (can't think of a better description that that?) as you, CLM, Leila, Shelda, Paige etc, only he doesn't discuss his feelings or the situation, he's very much "lets cross that bridge when we come to it". I don't know if that's burying his head in the sand or its his age, as he is a very young 20 but I think whatever your age, you are too young to lose your parents and have every right to feel sorry for yourself.

Take care
PW xx

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:10 pm

PW my son is the same but I find it is a breath of fresh air for my dad. I find myself so consumed by it all at times but my son will rock around there and be a 16 year old still. They talk about normal things and he makes my dad get up to take his radiator off the wall so he can paint. It is a double edged sword, I want to say to my son stop because he is tired. But then he knows that and is considerate but also, my dad seems better when my son does this. I cannot explain it.. but keeping normality around things with him seems to help them both. x

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Tue May 31, 2016 11:41 am

Hi PW,

I just wanted to comment on your last post. I think your son is trying to be a 'man' for you, not wanting ti talk about it he is probably being strong for you, so that you don't have to worry about him. If he seems to be carrying on as normal, then he will think that is one less worry for you. I sort of did the same, but with Dad. Dad was alone, so no one to pretend for but him. Dad and I are very similar, especially in our emotions and thinking. I stayed very, what I think back now, hard faced, with Dad. Carried on as normal. Made his appointments just matter of fact. When something occured, I would say " ok, lets deal with it, don't worry". I know if Dad ever saw me cry, he would break down. I was always with the impression, if I acted normal, didn't show emotion, then Dad would think everything was ok, and he would just concentrate on fighting. I like to think that worked.

Hope your husband is ok and still fighting too, when does he restart the chemo?

Leila xx

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:13 pm

You could be right Leila. Nice to see you back here btw. Hope you are feeling brighter than last week?

At this rate, he won't be re-starting chemo at all. Oncologist has said he's currently not well enough. Yesterday he had a bad turn at the GP surgery. He suddenly couldn't get out of the chair, I am not sure if his legs went numb or if he just didn't have any energy. He's been sleeping constantly the past few days, probably because he's been surviving on a couple of bottles of ensure a day which of course is not enough and he's starting to lose weight rapidly now. Most of you on here will understand without me having to say a lot more. He had various tests yesterday but bloods came back ok so currently no anemia or infection that's causing the sleepiness or lack of appetite.

We saw dietitian this afternoon. She told us to give up on trying solid food but to be inventive with milk shakes which hubby loves. One great tip I was given was to fortify full fat milk by adding skimmed milk powder that gives more calories/protein per ml than ensure and then adding things like ground nuts, avocado (yuk) etc. I've spent the evening a la Delia but so far, my concoctions have been off the mark. I suspect whatever I do won't taste for him. I know he so desperately wants the nutrition but it's just so hard for him.

Feeling very very low this evening because I know this can't carry on unless I can get some goodness into him. wish me luck x

Wife&Mum

Postby Wife&Mum » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Good luck PW, very sorry to hear that things are so tough at the moment and hope you have a better day tomorrow.
Love W & M xx

Linda G

Postby Linda G » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:37 pm

Good luck PW. You are doing a fantastic job. It is very very hard for you both! Stay strong.
xxx
Linda G