A forum for advanced pancreatic cancer issues

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Proud Wife

Re: Totally in awe of my wonderful Husband!

Postby Proud Wife » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:42 am

YAY! Great news about your Dad D76! Really chuffed to hear that. I hope and pray he's turned a corner and it's onwards and upwards for you all now! My hubby doesn't have sickness by the way, just doesn't fancy food and when he does eat, he's full really quickly.

Thank you so very much Leila for your lovely words of encouragement. Just a quick post from me today as we are off for the blood transfusion this morning but.....can I just say.....hubby is just not normal (in a very nice way). He's amazingly well this morning, chemo tolerated after a good night sleep and he's back to his usual self, only ability to eat would be nice. We always joke about him not being normal - nothing seems to faze him, even large does of sleeping pills wouldn't knock him out. His answer, I've never been normal and I don't intend to be now!

This has given me a massive boost so I'm trying my friends to woosh all my good vibes and energy over your way!

Not just Proud wife today but very very very very proud wife! xxx

Wife&Mum

Postby Wife&Mum » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:01 pm

Dear PW

I was so pleased to read that your husband was feeling very much better this morning, and I hope his transfusion went ok.

If he continues to feel full quickly, it might be worth trying this tip if you haven't already done so. Although you've mentioned that your hubby finds drinking easier than eating, my husband used to find the Ensure Juce drinks too filling. But when I converted them into jelly form he tolerated them much better.

It was actually one of the lovely nurses here who suggested I try this and it worked!

W&M xxx

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:37 pm

a
Last edited by Dandygal76 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:19 pm

Well that teaches me for opening my big mouth. Transfusion went well, home for about an hour this evening when hubby had a really bad turn and started shivering. Then all of a sudden really bad break through back pain and feeling ever so unwell so it was straight back to the cancer ward. They think it could be an allergic reaction to the transfusion or an infection, should know more tomorrow, they've obviously kept him in overnight.

I feel double my age tonight!

D76, I told my hubby about your post, I think you've got more chance of being struck by lightening but I love your spirit so you carry on being a pratt as long as you want. When I get my breath back, i may well join you in being one too! Good on your Dad tonight! That's comfort food at it's best. I will check that book out.

Night night sleep tight all xx

Wife&Mum

Postby Wife&Mum » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:02 am

PW, I do hope this morning finds your hubby much improved. W&M xxx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:06 am

Hi PW,
I hope your husband is feeling better this morning and they dealt with the reaction. This cancer is a roller coaster! Look after yourself as well and I hope you get him home today.
Stay strong,
Love Sue x

boa

Postby boa » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:40 am

PW
Hope all is well today. You certainly have to get used to instant changes with PC. There is just so much that can happen. As Sue says, stay strong.
Catherine

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:04 am

I hope your hubby is okay PW. Sending you both hugs. x

Linda G

Postby Linda G » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:47 pm

PW, hope you have seen some improvement in your hubby today. Take care of him and yourself. Thinking of you both.
xxx

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:24 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind messages. Hubby back home and dare I say it....fighting fit. I think we'd been lulled into a false sense of security for the first 10 months when we had it relatively "easy" in comparison, if you can ever call this evil disease "easy" and the progression has come as a massive wake up call.

You are so spot on, this is a total and utter roller coaster. Seeing him have such a bad turn gave me a fright but whereas before, I thought I'd go into panic if anything went wrong, I was actually quite calm and able to reassure hubby and drive him to the hospital in one piece!

It seems that because he's had so much liquid in the past couple of days, i.e. chemo and a blood transfusion plus perhaps a little bit of ascites, that has put pressure on the nerves near the pancreas which is why he was suddenly in really bad pain as well as reacting to the blood.

Another good thing to come out of this is, hubby thinks he's invincible and wants to forget he is ill. For the past few days, I've kept asking "hows this and hows that" and he got really cranky with me - I'm lucky my head is still intact! Now he sees how quickly and without warning his condition can deteriorate and realises it's better to act as soon as we see something's wrong rather than wait for it to escalate out of control.

An early night is in order me thinks!! xxx

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:45 pm

Hi PW,
I hope you got your early night, and a good sleep and I hope your Hubby (that word always make me think of my Mum and Dad) is now feeling better. These scares certainly keep you on your toes and I am glad you coped better than you expected too with the crisis, we just get this strength from somewhere when we need to it must be hidden inside and we just do our best. sending you a ((hug)) just in case you need it if not save it for later! take care love sandrax xx

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi PW,

Pleased he is back home and well. This disease is very relentless and it has it's own rules, does what it wants, when it wants.

PW, there will be many times when you will think you cannot take anymore, but you will, and the reason for that is love. Love can make you as strong as you need to be, to help the one you love. I have no doubt whatsoever.

Leila xx

shelda

Postby shelda » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:49 am

Hi PW checking in on how the hubby is doing and a massive thanks for your kind donation...starting to think about my next challenge I've found the fundraising bug I think.
Watching a loved one go through what this awful disease throws at them is horrendous and just when you think physically and emotionally you can't do it anymore the strength is there, I'm sure he is proud husband to have such an amazing loving wife. Love to you both xxshelxx

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:32 pm

You are very welcome Shel. Never in a million years of Sundays would I be able to do anything like boxing or running marathons so instead, I will always happily donate what I can to anyone on here to support such a worthy cause.

Had to take hubby back to cancer ward today. I suspected and am hoping he has ascites, as he eats literally a handful of food the whole day and is full immediately. He looks preggers and has all the other symptoms. He's having chemo tomorrow and then an ultrasound to see what's going on and we will have to take it from there. On the basis that he must consume around 800 -900 calories max from the ensure drinks, he's not losing weight which leads me to believe that fluid must be building up. i hope it's that as the alternative doesn't bare thinking about.

Any advice or experiences of what to expect with ascites and it's draining gratefully received.

If love can make us strong and I'm sure it can, then we are all strong like an ox! xxx

shelda

Postby shelda » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:34 am

Over here now just read your lovely message on my thread...big cyber hugs needed both ways I think.
The ascites draining didn't seem too painful and uncomfortable for mum and the relief was immediate, mums was carried out in the iv suite and was roughly 4 hours.
Ask your Dr or nurse about procal, they are like little Yakult bottles with 3 X 30ml shot of high calorie high protein mum really likes them and we know if she had 1 bottle she had 300 calories with zero fuss or effort.
Lots of love, thinking of you both xxx