A forum for advanced pancreatic cancer issues

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
marie souter

Re: my husband of 2 weeks with weeks to live

Postby marie souter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:43 am

Hi Mandy thanks so much for popping on here and giving us an update, I am so pleased you are still pursuing this and I am very happy you are still seeing a solicitor as these things have to be done otherwise these mistakes will be done time and time and time again. At the cost of peoples lives, its unforgivable.
Where you said..'they asmitted that there we flaws,in his care between april and jan of this year which could of saved him and caught this in time,'
That there my love is an admission of guilt and I would say guilt is just cause for a claim, and I think any solicitor would agree with that.
I wish you luck.. my own mom died 8th November this year and I have a lot of issues about her care, I havent the strength to start dealing with what I am going to do about this yet as everything hasn't sunk in yet but when my fighting spirit comes back I will get my boxing gloves on....
Good luck honey, please keep in touch and let us know how it goes..
Still thinking of you and your lovely children..

Love and hugz
Marie
xx

scoobymandy

Postby scoobymandy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi marie

Sorry to hear your sad news just to update everyone on here i took all my husbands medical records to a solicitor and they wouldnt look into any further into any challenges as they said that that cause he had the fast spreading pancreatic cancer any other intervention would of been useless nice to know cause he was terminal whats was the point of trying to help him argghhh i am so angry with there reply my husbandcwas only 46! I so young to have died with so much to live forv. Everyday is still a struggle just wish someone somewhere would lusten to me about the lack of care he had when he was alive!!!!!

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi Mandy,

Just read this thread, and it is so devastating. I am so sorry.

My dad has recently been diagnosed, and his cancer is inoperable and has spread. He could have been diagnosed months before. The GP practically watched him lose 2 and a half stone and cancer still didn't trigger something in the doctors mind. I have already started complaints procedure.

I can feel your frustration and anger, and wish I could say something to help. I know nothing can.

Have you tried lawyers4u? I have been in contact with them, they have taken my details. That is only as far as I am with them, but they haven't turned me down yet.

Leila x

PCUK Nurse Dianne

Postby PCUK Nurse Dianne » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:38 am

Hi Mandy,

I am sorry to hear the response from the solicitors, and I am sure that is so upsetting to feel 'brushed off' like that. Have you spoken to anyone from the PALS office (Patient Advice and Liason office) at the hospital where your husband was treated? This may be helpful. If you would like some advice on how to take this forward please do not hesitate to be in contact. We can advise you the best way to do this. It is important to be able to resolve these issues as part of your bereavement and also for the sake of your husband's memory in that you feel you have been able to restore the service that was not ideal, and also by making changes that will improve care for other patients.

Please do not hesitate to be in contact if we can help you here Mandy.

Best wishes,

Dianne
Support Team

scoobymandy

Postby scoobymandy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi dianne

Yes i have been to them had a meeting with the head of digestive diseases and a oncologist from the hospital they confirmed that they had no medical records from the april to the december of 2012 this is when he had started problems with his bowel and stomach he was supposed to.of had a endescope in between these dates but as he moved address the letter was never recieved in the december he was sent for an ultrasound on his stomach as he eas finding it hard to eat anything and had no bowel movements but they found everything normal but when he eas sent in to a and e in middle of january they found he had pancreatic cancer in operable as it had already spread to his liver this i still cant understand why it wasnt picked up before.

My husband wished for me to persue this as this was one of his final wishes. He never saw his macmillan nurse unless he was admitted to hospital we felt that he was just left to die and i still believe that there attitude was well nothin will change the fact hes going to die as he was terminal so there attitude to.his treatment we feel was poor

PCUK Nurse Dianne

Postby PCUK Nurse Dianne » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks Mandy,

I am sorry to hear the outcomes of the meeting were not so supportive. Please feel free to email (support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk) if you need some advice or guidance on how to take this forward, more than happy to help you with this if that would be helpful for you.

regards,

Dianne
Support Team

scoobymandy

Postby scoobymandy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:44 pm

hi dianne

thanks for your reply i have contacted your support team via email tonight, i just hope that something can be done. I am only challenging the nhs cause this was one of my promises to my husband the day he died.

i look forward to hearing from one of your team as to what i can do really

thanks mandy

scoobymandy

Postby scoobymandy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi everyone

The last few days have been hard for me as i had to cope with my first wedding anniversary on my own with my children i must say it was very hard to cope with and the tears were flowing on the 19th june will,be the worst day ever as,he,will be gone a year nothing will ever feel the same again in my life i lost the only person that i ever wanted in my family i hate the pain in my heart and i know it will never go away :(

jay

Postby jay » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:28 pm

Just to let you know im thinking of you
Jayne x

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi Mandy

There are a few of us on here in a similar position so we know what you are going through. You aren't alone.

Virtual hugs and thinking of you for now and the 19th

Cathy xx

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:04 pm

Thinking of you. I cannot imagine how hard it must be for you.

xx

scoobymandy

more devistation to our family

Postby scoobymandy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:03 pm

Yet again more sad news that my dad has now only got a few days or weeks left and our family can only watch him die sadley he cancer which he had a varied amout of chemo from which also caused him to have 7 strokes in the last 18months has picked up septicemia which he is currently having antibiotics for.

I have had to watch him suffer since his whipples procedure 3 half years ago and now i cant see a happy ending to any thing we have just managed to start with life without my husband now ime going to have to do this without my dad nothing prepares you for this ever as i have found out ive lost my stepbrother 3 years ago, my husdand 2 years ago and now my dad life is so unfair and cancer is an evil thing.

Not only have i now got to look after my kids and now my mum who is as anyone can understand is destrought she is the only family i have left and now i am loosing my dad who i love with all my ♥ i just wish we could do more for him but all we can do is still here watchin him die and waste away :( life is so cruel

Didge

Postby Didge » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Thinking of you. Not much more I can say. xx

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:52 pm

Sending you some cyber ((hugs)) what a truly horrendous few years you have had, glad you felt you could come here and I hope we can help in some small way. I hope your poor Dad has a peaceful end to his life, whenever that might be, sending love to you all take care sandrax

littlefairy

Postby littlefairy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:04 am

so so sorry for your loss, I lost my mum a couple of months ago to PC, so cruel, so sad I'm still trying to come to terms with it, sending love and hugs xxx