A forum to focus on treatment related issues and side effects from treatment

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Daver68

One year on from whipples op

Postby Daver68 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:04 am

I had my whipples operation 29/08/12 followed by six months of folfox chemotherapy ,the last year or so has been a whirlwind and would just like to say that the care and support I received from the royal free hospital in London has been great . The operation went well and was home 7 days later absolutely shattered for the next 3 months all I did was sleep ,chemo started in October and lost my appetite every week that I had it and then ate non stop on my week off they had to stop one part of the chemo after 4 cycles due to unbearable tingling in my fingers I was unable to dress myself felt like electric shocks coursing through my fingers .Felt like the chemo dragged on forever I just started to feel better then it started again but should not complain really as I had no sickness just a little bit of nausea and exhaustion finally finished chemo in April this year and have just spent a month in Cyprus and am feeling a lot more normal these days I can pretty much eat as before and have finally put some weight on and this was a big deal for me as I looked very gaunt so can I just say that it is a long road after the whipples procedure and chemotherapy but to stay positive and make sure you get out and about ( if possible) as much as possible if I felt myself getting down thinking about things too much I found that going out for a walk helped tremendously . Thanks for listening .

Slewis7313

Re: Having a whipple op

Postby Slewis7313 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks very much for the useful update Dave. Whilst I am still inoperable, it is something I have given a lot of thought and though I hope maybe at some point to become operable, the procedure is still quite daunting. It sounds to have been quite a struggle, but from your experience turning into a success story. Hope it continues well.

Thanks again

Steve