advice on stents

babs

My name is Vicky and my grandpa was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a few weeks ago we were told that it hadn't spread and so he had a stent inserted.now after 4days he died unexpectedly at home but I was wondering if anyone knew if the stent had anything to do with his death. My gran didn't want him to have a autopsy. He was 81 years old.

I would be very grateful if anyone on here would know.

Since the time my grandpa was diagnosed to his death was about 3 weeks. The first hospital he was in couldn't fit the stent so he was transfered to another hospital to have the procedure.the doctors there told us it hadnt spread and so he was released from hospital to go home and the doctors sed further treatment wud be carried out at the origional hospital he was first at. From the time he was released to his death was less than or about 48hours.

I just also want to say what a wonderful forum this is, it gave me hope that my grandpa wud beat the disease.

Hi Vicky

So very sorry to hear about your grandad. You and your family must be very shocked by how quickly things changed for him. That seems to happen so often with this awful cancer and must be so hard to come to terms with.

I can't really help you with what you're asking about stents, though. All I know is that they are used to help patients by relieving symptoms, ie jaundice. Perhaps you could ring the support line and have a word with someone qualified, to help put your mind at rest.

Sending my condolences.

Ellie

x

hi ellie thankyou for the reply. my grandpa did have jaundice it was bad on his body but was getting better in his face.

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Vicky,

I am so sorry to hear about your granddad.

It is very possible that he had an infection in his stent, which may have caused sepsis. Untreated, this would cause death. This is a possible explanation for why it happened so fast too.

You can contact me on the support line or email if you need to.

KR,

Jeni.