Ascites drain

Row

Hi, my mum has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. She has developed ascites and had a drain put in today, but the abdominal swelling hasn’t gone down at all. Is this normal or do you see an instant effect once fluid has been drained. The Drs said the rest of the swelling is because of the cancer - but how is that making her tummy so large, she looks 9 months pregnant and is uncomfortable with awful diarrhoea. Last scan showed no cancer progression and not affecting the liver yet. That was about 3/4 weeks ago. Anyone had experience of swelling and it not going down with ascites draining? Thank you. Sending love to everyone going through this.

IMissYouDad

Hi Row

I hope you're keeping as well as can be. I haven't posted on here for years but from what I can remember, the drain helped my dad quick-ish but it kept refilling quickly and towards the very, very end, his stomach was so swollen and the drain wasn't much use because it was the tumor causing the issue. 

Lots of love x