PERT Supply

Support Team

Support Team

Hi all

We know that there are currently problems with the supply of brands of pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy (PERT), including Creon, Nutrizym and Pancrex.

We have information about what to do if you are having problems getting your PERT, including some tips for speaking to the pharmacy.
https://www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/news-and-blogs/information-about-the-supply-of-creon-25000/ 

• 3 months later...
Luke1971

I raised this with my MP recently and received the following response.

The new Government has inherited ongoing global supply problems that continue to affect
medicine availability in England. We know how frustrating and distressing this can be for
patients, and we are working closely with industry, the NHS, manufacturers and other
partners in the supply chain to resolve issues as quickly as possible to make sure patients
can access the medicines they need.
There are around 14,000 licensed medicines, and the overwhelming majority are in good
supply. However, medicine supply chains are complex, global and highly regulated and the
NHS does occasionally experience temporary shortages of some medicines. There are a
number of reasons why supply can be disrupted, many of which are not specific to the UK
and are outside the Government’s control; these include manufacturing difficulties, access
to raw materials, sudden demand spikes or distribution issues, and regulatory issues.
Medicine supply issues are global in their nature and, while we cannot always prevent
them, we have a range of well-established processes and tools to manage them when
they arise and to mitigate risks to patients. There is a team in the Department that deals
with medicine supply problems by working closely with the Medicines and Healthcare
products Regulatory Agency, the pharmaceutical industry, NHS England and others
operating in the supply chain. We also work with partners to ensure alternative treatments
are available to patients until their usual treatments are back in stock.
At the time of writing, we are aware of ongoing intermittent supply issues with pancreatic
enzyme replacement therapy (PERT), including Creon capsules. These have been caused
by limited supplies of active pharmaceutical ingredients and manufacturing capacity
constraints. The supplier of Creon has advised that it expects to have regular supplies
released each month for the remainder of the year. The Department is continuing to work
with all suppliers of PERT products to help resolve the issues, expedite deliveries, source
stock from other markets and increase production.
We have also issued comprehensive guidance to healthcare professionals, which provides
advise on how to manage patients while there is disruption to supply. This guidance is
being kept under review and updated will be made as necessary.
In addition, serious shortage protocols (SSPs) are in place for Creon 10000 and 25000
capsules to limit prescriptions to one month’s supply; this is to ensure that Creon remains
available for those patients who need it. An SSP enables community pharmacists to
supply a specified medicine or device with the patient’s consent and without needing to
seek authorisation from the prescriber.
The Department will continue to work closely with the manufacturers to resolve the issues
as soon as possible and to ensure patients have continuous access to medicines. If any
patient is concerned about their treatment, they should discuss this with their clinician at
the earliest opportunity.

Luke1971

My pleasure. It's also worth saying that I walked into a pharmacy in Spain last month, asked if they had any, and walked out with some - easy as that (although it wasn't cheap). That tells me that the "manufacturing issues" situation might, hopefully, be improving. The packaging and name was different ('kreon 25.000U cápsulas'), but it was Creon. And my oncologist last week said that a number of his patients were reporting a gentle improvement in the shortage, even if it's only temporary. Fingers crossed.