Are treatment options different if paid for/private?

AshleyW1011

AshleyW1011

My Dad has been informed that he has 'a type of pancreatic cancer'. We haven't been informed of much more than that, which is extremely frustrating and this constantly feels like a waiting game. 

In December 2022 by Dad had his usual 6monthly blood test following getting the all clear from testicular cancer 3 years ago. The December blood tests showed that a cancer marker was up. Second blood test showed the same result. CT scan showed a mass near the pancreas. PET Scan that followed showed the mass near the pancreas and a spot on the liver. We were informed at this point they were sure (99.9%) that the mass was not attached to the pancreas. Biopsy was taken on 7th Feb and we had results last week, over the phone, to inform that it is a 'type' of pancreatic cancer. He was referred to a surgical team for them to review surgery as an option. 

We were informed last week that surgery isn't an option now that it is on the liver. I have so many questions and I don't feel that we are being answered!  It feels that now that it's not operable we are massively playing with time and this is a huge waiting game! 

1) Are treatment options different if we paid private? 

2) Is surgery an option if the spot on the liver is killed with chemo? 

I feel like we're in the unknown. Nothing about stages has been mentioned (although I am guessing this is stage IV), prognosis, care plan. I feel like we're in the dark! 

I'd appreciate any comments on experiences. 

Sending hope to all who finds themselves on this forum searching for answers (and hope!) x