Sharing our experience so far

Floofmom

So, yesterday my Dad contacted me to say that the nurse is not happy with her colour and that she is struggling to swallow the tablets.  They want to get her into the hospice as soon as a bed becomes available.  This will mean they can control her medications via syringe driver.  Also she specifically requested to spend her final days in the hospice.  She has no energy now and can't keep her head up. When she is awake, it's my mum there speaking to me, but she's hardly awake.  Very sad 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Floofmom

• Lornacath

• Birdy759

• rogs

Top Posters In This Topic

Mum went into the hospice on Friday.  On Monday morning (yesterday) my Dad had a phonecall from the hospice to say that she wasn't doing too well and phoned me.  We drove down from the North of Scotland overnight, arriving at 4:30am but the doctor had said to my Dad that she probably had a day so we went to grab a couple of hours sleep before heading to the hospice.  Unfortunately they phoned at 6am to say that she had gone very peacefully.  Luckily I had been down to see her just last week and am now here to support my Dad and sister.

In total she lasted 9 months from diagnosis.  There were ups and downs and it wasn't an easy journey but it wasn't as hard as some I have read on here.  We took the chance to visit more often, and I am so grateful for the extra time that we had.

I wish all of you who have been diagnosed with PC my very best wishes and to the families of you all, please make the most of the time that you have.  There is time for sadness afterwards.  I think I will be processing and grieving for many months to come.

Sorry to read of your loss Floofmom.

I've been following your story, which has many parallels with my own wife's battle with this awful disease.

It's sad to read of so many similar stories. Unlike some cancers where treatment continues to  improve - sometimes at an impressive rate - pancreatic cancer seems to remain, relatively speaking , in the 'dark ages'.

So sad for those of us caught up in its 'clutches'.

It's now some 8 months since I lost my wife and, for me at least, I still feel pretty much the same as I did when she passed. So I think you may well be in for a long period of sadness. 

Here's hoping your dad  makes good progress.....

Annebyanothername

I, too, have been following your story, Floofmum. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

I am so sorry for your loss, but I am pleased for you and your family that your Mum was where she wanted to be in the end and was at peace. I am on a similar journey with my Mum, though I hope we have some way to go yet. But I hope that I can support my parents as well as you have, and I hope my Mum has a similar peaceful end.

Do look after yourself. Thank you again. Sending much love. x

• 3 weeks later...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Floofmom 😔

I am also very sorry it’s taken me this long to check in with you. I guess I have been struggling with my own loss more than I could ever imagine and simply couldn’t bring myself to log on to this site again.

I wish I had words to say which would bring you some comfort but I’m afraid I have nothing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family x

I sincerely hope they are able to treat your dad soon and he feels better soon xX