He is virtually housebound….?

L28dmr

Hi all, my dad has a pancreatic disorder, I’m sorry I cannot be more specific, he won’t talk about it.  All I know is that he takes Creon tablets - many of them, and he has upset stomachs and diarrhoea to the point where he won’t leVe the house incase he need to go.  As a total newbie to this, and this has been happening for maybe the past four years - I just don’t know how to help? The problem has be exacerbated by my mum passing, and he’s now incredibly lonely - but can’t come to visit us as he’s scared to leave his home toilet…… does anyone have any advice or help they can offer? Or does this condition actually make you housebound? Thank you in advance.  

I understand how your Dad must feel. Please read the recent discussion thread about Creon.

It sounds as if your Dad has lost a significant support in his life. Is there any way that you could work with him to create other supports? 

Best wishes. 

I live 300 miles away - but see him when I can. I’m trying to persuade him to come and stay with me for a few weeks and see my boys, whom he loves - but he says he cannot leave the house due to he might need the toilet. I truly believe this is the reason, if only I could work out a way to get him to me without needing to go. I’ve said we will always be able to get to a service station should the need arise, but he’s not convinced. Any help is gratefully received. 

Edited by L28dmr

I would recommend that you read the discussion “Creon 25000 effect diminish over time”? as there is a good discussion about malabsorption causing diarrhea.

is there anyway that you and your Dad have a consultation with his physician about how much Creon he takes?  I find that I have to adjust the Creon to what I’m eating.  

My best wishes. 

When my brother was released from hospital after his Whipple op he was only inf to take " two Creon tablets" each meal. On reading this site we found advice that by increasing his Creon to 3/4 tablets every meal this really helped his toileting. He became less "loose" and more in control, sufficiently confident to drive out as far as two hrs to his daughter's (100 miles). Perhaps drs may advise yr dad. ?