Jump to content

Accelerate Trial


Recommended Posts

My dad was diagnosed with PC stage 4 cancer about 5 weeks ago. It has spread to his liver, perinium and lining of his stomach.

He’s had a liver biopsy and been waiting to see the oncologist.

He had an appointment last week with an oncologist and has been told he may be accepted into the Accelerate trial. Has anyone any knowledge or experience of this?

He’s desperate for treatment and is not ready to give up yet although he is losing lots of weight, barely eating and has very little energy.

The chemo will be in a 3 week cycle and have one week off in four. I’m really hoping it will improve and prolong his quality of life but at the same time very worried he’s going to feel worse than he does now.

On the one hand I’m pleased he has the chance to have a new and potentially better drug but on the other hand worried that he’s being used for research and not for his own benefit.

Any experiences or views on this will be welcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My husband was on a clinical trial before his death and one thing which stood out was the care which was taken to ensure he was fit enough for each dose.

However, there is no instant effect so perhaps you ought to be thinking about quality over quantity which is a decision to be taken in conjunction with the doctors and your family but at the final analysis it's your dad's decision.

I wish you all well, whatever your decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Sandiemac.

It’s a case of one day (or one hour) at a time at the moment.

I know that it’s my dad’s decision and I’m sure if he’s accepted into the trial he will give it a shot. At least that way we’ll all feel he had the best chance to fight it even though it can’t be cured.

It’s such a cruel disease - I knew nothing about it until mid May and now my eyes hurt from all the research I’m doing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Kerry

It does sound as though your Dad's disease is fairly well progressed. It's great that he's been offered the trial and there's no harm in giving it a go if he's accepted on it. It's in the nature of all us carers to want them to fight to the bitter end, but it's good that you've got it in your mind that it will be your Dad's decision and it's important that he feels supported in that if he does choose to stop treatment. It may well be that he tolerates the regime brilliantly and who knows, it might give him a good quality of life for some time to come.

Keep your chin up, it is a cruel disease, but my husband tolerated his chemo really well and I was so thankful for the two extra years that we got.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using our forums you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.