A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Morwenna

Dad has been admitted to hospital

Postby Morwenna » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:10 pm

Well Dad finished his first cycle of chemotherapy last Tuesday so now has a week off before seeing the oncologist. He has tolerated the treatment well so far although today out of the blue he rang me and said he's not feeling well and had spent all of yesterday in bed and that he's jaundice again! So they had the doctor out who suspected infection as his temperature was up so they called for an ambulance and have taken him into hospital!!
Does anyone else have experience with infections that cause jaundice? He had a stent put in in November, could it be blocked and have caused infection?
Things were going pretty well and now this!! I'm feeling really anxious about it all. I dont know what to do with myself!
He has just rang and said he's having strong antibiotics by a drip and has had all sorts of tests done including a chest x-ray!? What is going on?? I feel so frustrated and useless.
Sorry for babbling on but i know i can do that on here and people understand.
Sending you all big hugs

Morwenna

laura

Re: Dad has been admitted to hospital

Postby laura » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:38 pm

hi morwenna, so sorry to read the news on your dad, i cant help much about your questions, but i know that some people, some times, do get infections, particularly high temps after chemo, this could simply be a blip, and am sure you agree, dad is in the best place?
i am sure he will get good attention, and tests will be thorough, his oncologist is on hand at truro, all good things!!
i do understand you worrying, and nothing you personally can do at the moment, try take a deep breath, let the professionals do their job, and that leaves you to support dad, as you have been doing, 'cos exspect dad is worried and will be looking to you for something positive. keep us updated wont you?
sending strength and love to you both, laura xx

petra

Postby petra » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi there, try not to worry too much my dad was readmitted less than a week after his stent with severe infection and ? Blocked. Stent they can block off easily so the tests will be to determine the source of the infection the chest x ray to rule out a chest infection, then dad waas admitteeed again after a chemo cycle with an infection due to low white cell count they pumped him with antibiotics and something called gcsf which helps the bone marrow to produce a certain kind of white blood cells which are lowered by chemo, sounds like he is getting the best treatment!! Its horrid to see your dad unwell in hospital I know, stay strong much love P xxx

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:34 am

Hi Morwenna,

Sorry to hear about your dad - I will email you.

Jeni.

Morwenna

Postby Morwenna » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the email Jeni, great information as always.
Spoke to the nurse on Dad's ward and she didn't tell me much apart from he is waiting to have some observational tests done and an ultrasound scan and that he was quite comfortable.
I did manage to speak to Dad on the phone this evening and he said he had been on a drip all night but wasnt anymore and that he hadn't seen anyone apart from the doctor first thing this morning and he couldn't really tell me what the doctor had said!
Although he did say he was feeling better and had some colour in his cheeks today.

My step mum seems to think he has blood poisoning but Dad says they haven't mentioned that!! It's all quite confusing and the nurses wont tell me much over the phone so i'm just hoping I might be able to get down to the hospital tomorrow evening after work and find out whats going on!!!
I know he's in the best place but it's so hard when you don't know whats going on, thankyou for all your kind words and I hope you and your loved ones are doing ok.

Will keep you posted
Much love
Morwenna

DRAD3

Postby DRAD3 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi Morwenna
I hope your Dad is feeling better. It is not unusual for infections to occur and hospitalisation. My husband was admitted a couple of times and on both occasions was given IV antibiotics and put on a drip. He used to hate being in hospital just because he could never get any sleep (too noisy and busy!) but they always sorted out the infection. They will also check lots of other things while he is there so I am sure they will rectify whatever was making him feel poorly.
I know it is very difficult - the nurses tend to say very little and the doctors only come around every now and again so you spend most of time trying to make sense of very little information! Do try to be patient and hopefully all will be well.
Let us know how he gets on.
lots of love
Deb
x

Catherine

Postby Catherine » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:18 pm

Hello Morwenna,

How is your dad getting on?

My mum was admitted yesterday after chemo, and I just wanted to let you know that within an hour of admission she had had a chest x-ray and all the things you talk about with your dad. I thought it might reassure you a bit that it seems to be normal practice. When I spoke to the nurse last night she explained that often with 'their' patients they can not find the source of infection so cover all angles. Also that a chest infection is sometimes not seen in symptoms and that's why they x-ray.

Lots of love

Catherine xxxx

Morwenna

Postby Morwenna » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi All
Well I havent been to see Dad in hospital yet as everytime i speak to him he says not to bother visiting as he doesnt feel well enough for chatting. I spoke to him yesterday and he wasnt feeling great and had terrible diarrhoea which im assuming is a side effect from the intravenous antibiotics. He was waiting to have an ultrasound scan to see if his stent is blocked.
I managed to speak to the doctor on the ward who has been looking after Dad earlier and she said his bloods are a lot better today and that he is having an ERCP tomorrow to either unblock or put in a new stent in and that he should be able to come home tomorrow, I just hope he can as when I spoke to him just now and asked if he was feeling better he said not really and didn't think he would while he was in hospital!!
So hopefully he will ring me tomorrow to pick him up, i'm dreading seeing him as I know he will look awful and it really upsets me to see him looking so old and poorly but I have to find some strength from somewhere...

Thinking of you all and sending hugs xx
Morwenna

Morwenna

Postby Morwenna » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi Catherine
So sorry to hear your mum has also been admitted, what a rollercoaster journey this is!! Thankyou for the info it does reassure me. Has your mum also got an infection then?
Keep me posted on her progress I will be thinking of you both... and sending you love and hugs xx
Morwenna

DRAD3

Postby DRAD3 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi Morwenna and Catherine - I hope your Dad and Mum are feeling better very soon. Although hospitals are great for urgent care and rectifying problems they are certainly not great for mental health or emotional wellbeing and they are not the best place for rest and peace so I do hope that they both get the practical help they need in order that they can get home where they can start feeling happier. Thinking of you and hoping that you are taking care of yourselves at this worrying time and finding the strength you need.
lots of love
Deb
x

Catherine

Postby Catherine » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Oh bless your dad Morwenna, it sounds like the infection got hold of him for a little while. Good news on the bloods and fingers crossed he can come home tomorrow. I am sure you are already planning things to cook him. It must be awful not seeing him and not really knowing what is going on. Hopefully he won't look as bad as you fear when you see him, he will have been on IV fluids the whole time which will have helped him even if he is not eating a lot.

My mum is also having an ultra sound to check her stent - it sounds like these are the things they do. My mum was quite lucky as she got a temperature towards the end of her chemo yesterday. She only felt unwell for about an hour and was admitted straight away. They are keeping her for a few days as her sugars all over the place with chemo and steroids so are wanting to see if her new insulin levels do the trick.

Thank you Deb for your kind words, as ever you always say the right things at the right times. xx

laura

Postby laura » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:49 pm

hi morwenna, sorry dads still not back on form, as deb says hes sure to feel loads better when back on his own territory, shame he didnt want you to visit, when you so badly needed to.
parents eh!! not much between us and kids sometimes lol
we are at hosp tomorrow for bri's results, shame cud have looked in on your dad, [ if he had wanted of course ]
wishing you all the best, love laura xxxx

thinking about you and yours catherine, hope things soon settle down for you as well, always seems something doesnt it?
sorry not posted individually, or much recently, just having bit difficulty doing anything much at mo,
thinking of everyone on here; lots of love laura xxx

Morwenna

Postby Morwenna » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:04 am

Thankyou Deb, Catherine and Laura,

Dad was booked in to have his stent done at 7am!! Haven't heard anything yet so just waiting.
Catherine you are right about the infection taking a hold of Dad, unfortunately he is one of these men that just suffers in silence and thinks if he ignores it it will go away. It sounds like he started with a temperature on Friday and didn't call the doctor until Sunday afternoon!
I didn't realise he wasn't well as me and the boys have all had flu so were keeping well away from him and on the phone he said he was 'ok'. I'm thinking if I had seen him I would of realised he wasn't well and could of done something sooner, but hopefully now he will realise how important it is for him to keep an eye on his temperature when he doesn't feel well!!!
I am looking forward to getting him home and feeding him up, will keep you all posted. Keep us updated on your mum Catherine, and Laura do let us know how bri gets on today.

You are all in my thoughts... (((Hugs)))
Morwenna x

DRAD3

Postby DRAD3 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi all - how is everyone today? Hoping that you and yours are OK. How did Bri get on Laura? I do hope he is continuing to do well. How are you? You sound low, not surprisingly - you've had a rotten time. Sending you lots of love, and don't you isolate yourself if you feel down - get on here and offload to your forum family - that's what we're here for! Thinking of you all.
Deb
x

Morwenna

Postby Morwenna » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi Deb

Well Dad had a metal stent put in this morning but hasn't been allowed home as there was some bleeding during the procedure, but he is insisting he is coming home tomorrow!!
I hope he is well enough to come home tomorrow as I don't think he's coping very well in there.
Laura, how did it go with bri today? Hope you are both ok...

Morwenna xxxx