A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
PCUK Nurse Jeni

Re: Husband newly diagnosed

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:27 am

Hi Bibs,

So very sorry to hear this news.

As Debs said, getting some of the basic things such as pain relief sorted out will make a huge difference. And, having a Macmillan nurse. Has Richard been referred to one do you know?

I hope the ERCP is successful - they will probably insert a stent if they can.

Do email us on the support line if you need further help, or have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Jeni.

bibs

Postby bibs » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi, Richard came home last night. He is now on Morphine Sulphate 10mg/5ml every 2-4 hours, 1 lansoprozole per day, 1 x Metoclopramide 10mg 3 times per day, and because they discovered an infection at the site of the old stent during the ERCP this week co-amoxiclav 500/125 3 times per day for 7 days. Macmillans are coming on Monday but over the telephone they told me to write down when he has the morphine as they might be able to give him a longer lasting type.The dietician at the hospital told him to eat what he wants when he wants. Since the ERCP this week he has gone from zero food to sloppy and today has had porridge for breakfast/lunch a digestive biscuit in tea mid afternoon and a spoonful of rice pudding for tea. Any tips regarding the diet would be much appreciated. You mention creon- is this something that we should be looking at as I have never heard of it? The Consultant said that he was unfit for surgery due to heart and kidney and for the same reasons cannot have chemo. Anything is greatfully received.
Cannot for some reason action email to support line

Catherine

Postby Catherine » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:20 am

Hello Bibs,

Creon is a digestive enzyme, which does the job or part of the job of the pancreas, there is lots of information on the PCUK site about it. Yes push for it, it helps to digest food properly, as those with PC struggle. There is also lots of information about diet on the main website which gives tips such as using full fat milk and adding calories where possible. Does your husband have a dietician? They can offer advice and support on diet. Though it is very positive that your husband has started eating a little again. My mum chose not to have surgery as she has a number of underlying health conditions. She did worry about chemo, has your husband been referred to an oncologist at all?

Lots of love

Catherine xx

bibs

Postby bibs » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:30 am

Richard's journey on this hideous road ended 11/03/2013.The only comfort we now take is that he is free from suffering and his final week was in xx where the level of care that was given to both him and our family was like nothing we have experienced since this nightmare began last October. They gave him back his dignity which this disease had stripped him of.

susikus

Postby susikus » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:55 pm

I am so sorry to hear that news. My condolences to you and all your family. With love, Sue

DRAD3

Postby DRAD3 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:38 pm

So, so sorry Bibs. I am relieved to hear that Richard's last days were where he finally got the care he needed and deserved. May he rest in peace now. We are still here for you if you need us - sending you lots of love.
Deb
x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Dear Bibs,

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your husband Richard. I am very pleased though to hear that the level of care at the hospice was good for Richard and your family.

On behalf of the charity, and the support team, I would like to offer you our sympathies at this sad time. Please do remember that we are here for you should you need to speak to us.

Kind regards,

Jeni.

KATB

Postby KATB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Bibs, I am so, so sorry to hear this. I'm glad you and Richard received excellent care.

Do take care of yourself.

x