A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
laura

Re: Newbie, advice and support please?

Postby laura » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:13 pm

sam honey, so very sorry to read your last post, my love and thoughts are with you all at this difficult time. take care of you, wont you? your hubby and daughter are going to need so much of your time shortly, thinking of you all. love laura xxx

Catherine

Postby Catherine » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Oh Sam I am so sorry, I hope Anne is pain free and that you and your family find strength and love in one another. You have been in and will be in my thoughts xxxx

Sammy-Lou

Postby Sammy-Lou » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Thank you all for your kind words and on-going support.
We managed to spend some more time with Anne this weekend and although she is still clearly very frail and not eating or drinking she is able to still have short conversations and move around a little. She is finding things very difficult emotionally at the moment and is in tears a lot, especially seeing my daughter sing her "Twinkle, twinkle little star" on Sunday. Her sister said she has slept very little at night and has cried most of the night. To make things worse for her she had an incident with the carer this week too, an expensive piece of her sisters jewellery went missing when only Anne, her sister and the carer where in the house. Suspecting the carer Anne's other son confonted her and she didn't deny it, he said she would be given the opportunity to return it by Sunday or they would call the police.. After her visit on Sunday it was found on the prayer table Anne has in her bedroom - A candle had been lit there just before her visit so it definitely wasn't there before. This has been terribly upsetting for Anne and it's just something she shouldn't have to be put through in her fragile state.
I sometimes feel like we are in this bubble and then something happens to remind me that everyone elses lives carry on, my Nan having a heart attack a couple of weeks ago and sadly hearing my step nan had passed away on Saturday...
Life doesn't stop to allow you to grieve does it!
My thoughts are with you all.. as always...
xxx

DRAD3

Postby DRAD3 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:22 pm

So sorry to hear how difficult it has been lately - as if it wasn't bad enough before, to have additional sorrow and stress. You are in the middle of a constant battle, Sam, and you are right, no time to grieve - it's so unfair. Thinking of you and holding you in our collective arms.
Much love
Deb
x

Sammy-Lou

Postby Sammy-Lou » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:02 am

I'm hoping to get a bit if advice please;
I've been struggling with the same issue throughout Anne's battle and I'm now really worried if its not sorted now its going to be too late. The doctor from the hospice visited yesterday and has increased the MST again (by another 60mg a day which as I understand is quite an increase) because Anne is still having to take oramorph all day. Yesterday Anne slept nearly all day and couldn't get up at all (up until now she's forced herself to get out of bed if only to lay on the sofa but still she has been 'up', but she has told my husband she is only going to take the old dose of MST and top up with oramorph because she doesn't want to be asleep all day. She has resisted more MST every step of the way and I'm worried that as we are today 2 weeks from when we were given a 2 week warning, that she is going to rapidly decline now and not be prepared in terms of the correct painkillers! I'd really like some advice on timings because the hospice don't seem to have judged it right. I was thinking of giving the helpline a call, maybe if someone could have a read through the back story and then I'll call, would they be ok?
Thanks x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:56 am

Hi Sammy-Lou,

If you call the Support Line number on (020) 35357090.

Or alternatively, email us on support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk

Thanks,

Jeni.

Sammy-Lou

Postby Sammy-Lou » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks Jeni, I've left a message and hopefully someone is going to call back later today but if not I'll try to speak to you on Monday when you are back in.
Thanks very much x

DRAD3

Postby DRAD3 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi Sam.
I will leave Jeni to give you her expert advice with regards to the pain relief but wanted to just say that I am thinking of you and sending you lots of love and strength.
Deb
xx

yorkypaul

Postby yorkypaul » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi Sam
Sending you love and hugs. This is such a difficult time. I hope I have someone like you in my corner when I am in this situation. I so admire your courage and strength and, reading your earlier posts, we share the same family values I think.
Say strong special lady. Hugs,
Paul x

Sammy-Lou

Postby Sammy-Lou » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Thank you Debs and Paul, so kind of you!
And Jeni, thank you so much for calling me back today snd speaking to me for so long! I can't thank you enough for the advice and support, it's such a bizarre situation where really I didn't know who to turn to and think I just needed some of the things I had in my mind confirming and many questions answering which you did wonderfully and with such empathy and care! Today my husband spoke to the Hospice doctor and he assessed Anne again, he questioned if the time had come to thinking about moving to the hospice and spoke with my husband about this. The decision was made to fit the syringe driver and look for a bed ready for Monday. This weekend we are going to be all together at Anne's house for what will be the last time, my brother-in-law is going to stay there overnight with our niece and nephew tomorrow, one last sleep over. I'm so sad but relieved that we can do everything possible to make the last few days as comfortable as possible for such an amazing, wonderful and strong lady. I'm blessed to have her in my life and I'm so grateful for her bringing up my wonderful husband and making him the person I love and best father out daughter could wish for.
Thanks again to everyone who has supported me, helping me along this journey, you've all got me this far.. Hope you don't mind but I think I'll need you all a little more...
Love to all
S xxx

laura

Postby laura » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:51 pm

oh dear sammy,you have had an awful time, havent you, your precious mil, needs you as does your hubby and daughter, i totally understand the feelings you have about wanting to do the right things, but feel your in a spin.
so glad that the hospice seems a blessing, i am sure that you will all be cared for in a serene, peaceful enviroment,
thinking of you all with much love, laura xxx

Catherine

Postby Catherine » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:13 am

Oh Sam, there are no words I can say to make your situation any easier. You speak so beautifully of Anne, love to you and all your family. I'm thinking of you through these tough times. Lots of love Catherine xxxx

susikus

Postby susikus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:39 am

Oh Sam, hugs my lovely, am thinking of you and all your family. One step at a time, you can do this. Lots of love and hugs, Sue, xxx

DRAD3

Postby DRAD3 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Sam - we are here for you as always and for as long as you need us. So glad that Jeni was helpful - she got me through, when I was in the place you are now. You seem to have everything organised to allow Anne to have a peaceful and pain free journey and this will make this easier for you as well. I will be thinking of you all.
Much love
Deb
x

charney

Postby charney » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Dear Sam big hugs to you, it is not easy but you have been there for everyone every step of the way,
The hospice will be the best place for Anne, they will be able to keep her pain free.
My thoughts and prayers are with you,
Cheryl xxxx