A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
sooty

Re: My husbands pancreatic cancer situation

Postby sooty » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi, not sure what to update with..things go good for an hour or so then down again..he is still in hospital, an endoscopy proved no good as only able to get 25cm down before hit a blockage but still not sure what is blocking what!. A syringe drive is in place for morphine and domperadine, and 2 hourly shots of oxymorph,also a saline drip. Still unable to drink or eat, if he has a sip of water he is in agony again. No more agitation thank goodness, he seems to sleep upto 90% of the day. I came home to sleep tonight on the Staff Nurses advice. the staff in this hospital are so fantastic, at last we feel we are actualy human beings, pity it could not have been like this for the past 7 months...Best wishes to everyone

louiepc

Postby louiepc » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Sooty

I am sorry things are so bad for you and your husband.

I am glad that he is being cared for well, and the syringe driver will be able to administer pain relief whilst he's asleep.

Remember, even if he's sleeping, he can probably still hear you. Read or talk to him if you can.

Thinking of you at this difficult time.

Louie xx

laura

Postby laura » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:36 pm

hello there sooty, pleased to hear from you, and its good that you feel,at last, that your hubby and you are getting the care and acknowledgement that you have asked for all along. im sure you are relieved that hubby is sleeping and comfortable, hope you both have a good nights sleep,
i did get to see my sister, thank you, she caught abus to exeter and i drove up from cornwall, we then went to a guesthouse in exmouth, had two and a half day away, weather was brill, and we managed to catch up, and bri, surprise surprise, survived very well, did a couple of small jobs for me that had been waiting a while!, he appeared to thoroughly enjoy having the house to himself for a while and eat and sleep when he wanted.
hows your dad?
anyway, my thoughts with you both,
love laura xx

sooty

Postby sooty » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi Louiepc, thankyou, yes I realise he can still hear so I don't talk or ask questions in his hearing, the nursing staff are so patient with us when we ask things. Tuesday was a very bad day, he was literaly climbing the walls, not with pain but agitation, anyway when i saw the pain nurse I told her that he always hated oramorph as he said it sent him "off his head" so could we not write him off just yet could we try a different form of morphine, she readily agreed and he has nto felt that way since.Very sleepy and I guess we are at the endstage now.
Hi Laura, great that you met with your sister and had a great time, I am sure it did you the world of good, unfortunatley with things not going well here I have yet to see my father, cannot believe that in May I will have only seen him 3 times in a year ! when usualy i go up for the weekend every 5 to 6 weeks, Bless him he is being a star about it but even so I would love to see him and have a hug...one day, Best wishes to you both xx

louiepc

Postby louiepc » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:04 am

Hi Sooty

My mum hated oramorph, I think it had a similar effect if I remember rightly. She used to hallucinate and have terrible nightmares with it. There was some other drugs that was then administered. Unfortunately the hospice team didn't really understand that mum didn't like Oramorph, and kept insisting that she take it. I'm very pleased that you are getting the care that you both need and deserve.

take care

louie xx

sooty

Postby sooty » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:17 pm

My husband died lastnight ....

AnneD

Postby AnneD » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Dear Sooty,
I'm so sorry to hear the news about your husband.
Sincere condolences to you and your family at this sad time.
Anne.

suef

Postby suef » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Dear Sooty,

I am so very sorry to hear this sad news. You have been so brave supporting your husband, and also so good at supporting others on this site. I send you my sincere condolences and wish you much courage for the days ahead.

SueF

rachelqt

Postby rachelqt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Dear Sooty,
Im so very sorry to read about your Husband, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time.
Love Rachel x

louiepc

Postby louiepc » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Dear sooty

I am so very sorry to hear your sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this terrible time.

Much love.

Louie x

laura

Postby laura » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:19 pm

oh sooty, a big virtual hug <<<<<< xxx >>>>>>> i send my love and condolences, i cant think of anything to say that might help, here for you whenever, love laura xxxx

Gill1301

Postby Gill1301 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:16 am

So very sorry to hear this awful news, my thoughts and hugs go out to you.
One small comfort you must take is that he is no longer in pain and at peace.
Take care of yourself.
Gill

ali

Postby ali » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:57 am

So sorry thinking of you,much love
Helen. X

DRAD3

Postby DRAD3 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:14 pm

So sorry to hear your sad news. My husband has deteriorated so much in the last month. So many things you have described, I am seeing each day. He is at home and I seem to be watching him fade away as every day passes. Love and strength to everyone. Deb

laura

Postby laura » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:25 pm

hello deb, hadnt seen you on here, wondered how things were for you, really sorry to hear that your hubby is so poorly, have you got some support, are macmillan involved? must feel its a vary lonely time for you, cos hes got a differant special. space in your heart.

chat on here if you feel it will help, kind thoughts and wishes to you both, love lauraxx