Update on Dad

PB

Hi Guys

Just with writitng with a further update on Dad's condition.

He spent two weeks in hospital having treatment and a stent fitted. The Macmiilan nurse was called and she set up the morphine pump and he is aslo have two anti sickness drugs and a steroid to try and make him hungry and reduce the swelling around the tumor.

He has started to eat a little and the jaundice seems to have cleared a bit, but he is very thin.

Care has been arranged to help him get washed and dressed.

He is getting around the house ok but the Morphine makes him confused and he is having bad dreams.

Not sure there is much more they can do for him and how much longer he has or whether he will start to put on some weight.

We are all coping the best we can and I spend as much time as I can with him.

We got a shock when the doctor called us in and told us that he could go down hill very quickly and what did they want us to do if he 'Collapsed'.

We have claimed attendance allowance for him at the highest rate for the termally ill . Don't forget you can claim this and it's not means tested!!!

Love to All

PB

PB,

I hope you do cope ok - at least your dad is home now and you can spend some time with him in his own surroundings.

We were asked about what to do if my dad took a turn for the worst (this was a few weeks ago when he was taken back into hospital for a few days with some problems). The Consultant actually asked my dad... "if your heart stops, do you want us to put the paddles on you". My dad was a bit groggy at the time (his BP had dropped really low) but said very clear "DNR" (Do Not Resucitate). I had guessed that is what he would say, but didn't want to speak on his behalf when we were asked.

Sorry to hear about your Dad Jan. I am sure you are as prepared as you can be, however, he could surprise you. My Mom did much better as the jaundice cleared up. You should also check with your Nurses and GP about maybe switching from the morphine (oromorph and MST assuming that's what he's on), to the Oxycontin and Oxynorm. It made a huge difference to my Mom i.e. less dreams, less hearing of voices, much more coherent.

As you know we were at this stage with my Mom a couple of weeks ago, and last weekend my brother and I thought it was her last, and this week she has been in bed all week. But blow me over she ordered fish and chips last night (from the Chippy) for supper. Hasn't eaten anything all week but a couple of jellies and a couple of yogurts. This afternoon she got up, is reading the newspaper and ordering supper again. The ups and downs are what blows me away.

If there is anything we can do for you in any way, just let me know. I will pray for your dad to get stronger. Wishing you peace and a good weekend.

Barb

Not paying enough attention. I thought the update on Dad was posted by Jan.

PB ... please note my comments in my last post were in response to your post not Jan's response.

Jan, personal message still stands if ever you need anything done when you are not in town, let me know and we will try to help.

B