A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Justamo

Re: Thanks for sharing your experiences . . .

Postby Justamo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:47 am

Wow. Yay. etc. (in my day we used to say "Gosh" or "Crumbs").

A staff nurse has just phoned to see how I feel about Peter coming home today. Then she asked if we had an oxygen cylinder, so I said no, and she said that's alright then. (Is it me ?) And then she said the District Nurse would come in every day to do the blood thinning injections, so I said why couldn't I do them, so she said she'd have a little think about that. . . . So I have to go up at 2 o'clock for them to decide if I'm a fit and responsible person to take him home.

Boris has been to the Vet for his check up (all clear) and had his sleeping bag in his carrier. Vet has ordered a sleeping bag from me for her own cat. Could be the start of something big . . . .

Must clean the house up a bit now. It looks like a tip because I didn't care about it while Peter was in hospital. And all that's in the fridge is well-past-their-sell-date packs of chicken and salmon. Need to fumigate it after it's been cleaned out.

Must dash.
Mo

Didge

Postby Didge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Hope all has gone well today. Can’t Boris eat the out of date salmon and chicken or is it too far gone for even him?! I’m sure Peter will just be glad to be home and won’t worry about untidiness. Xx

Marmalade

Postby Marmalade » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:34 pm

Great news Mo, really great.

If the injections are heparin they are a doddle but getting rid of the needles is a minefield. We had a sharps box but no one would take it off us!

Sniff the out of date food, if it smells ok it is :)

Glad both patients are making progress

M xxxx

patrigib

Postby patrigib » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi Mo!
What a rough time!!!!! I fully understand your sadness and stress behind your humour.

Don't worry too much about the cleaning :) Would like to send you a picture of my home right now.
Hugs to Bo......

AndAde

Postby AndAde » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Great news for both patients!

Veema

Postby Veema » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:20 pm

I did Nige's blood thinning injections after his surgery...its easy.

Glad he's deemed well enough to come home.

Vx

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:47 pm

My Patient woke me at 3 this morning and when I checked on him he was demolishing a plate of buttered and heavily honeyed toast and was about to start on a cereal bar. It seems that he thought he was having a hypo, so treated it by having a sugar load, to be followed up by oaty carbs.

Trouble is, he wasn't having a hypo at all, and his blood sugar reading was 19.

At a more sensible hour this morning (0730) it transpired that he thought he was having a hypo because he was sweating so heavily, and sure enough there were two pairs of distinctly damp pyjamas on the floor. It didn't occur to him to check his blood, or to wake me and ask me to check it, hence the midnight feast. I can't imagine why I didn't wake up as soon as he went downstairs - I usually hear everything that happens, but when it really mattered I didn't. I'll never make it to Charge Nurse.

This morning I administered 4 separate lots of tablets and 3 separate injections and a Fortisip in lieu of breakfast. He smiled weakly and bravely and said that he really didn't want to eat. I'm not surprised. He was stuffed up to the gills with toast and honey. Then I briskly checked My Other Patient for toothypeg problems. All OK.

So I callously abandoned My Patients and went off on the razzle (Tesco, actually) and managed to squeeze in my aquarobics class too. Not bad for an absence of 90 minutes. He's now had lunch and more tablets and is currently having a zizz in front of the TV. He's really feeling the cold, so I got him a hoodie but I don't think it will be a success. He doesn't have the right attitude to wear a hoodie so I'll change it for a polyester cardigan instead. And whatever he wears to lie around in will be, inevitably, trimmed with cat before very long and it's a shame to spoil good clothes - you never really successfully get cat fur off stuff. Fortunately I know a chic little boutique called Matalan which always comes up trumps.

The extra injection didn't cause any problems to me Veema. Peter winced a bit but I didn't feel a thing. You're right, Marmalade, getting rid of the evidence might prove difficult so we may turn into hoarders. Then you can watch us on TV.

Much love
Mo

Didge

Postby Didge » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:50 pm

Sweating does go with PC territory I’m afraid but it’s a good sign that Peter can still eat substantial amounts! No harm done in not waking. Tiredness gets you in the end when you are constantly on the alert. Hope things continue to go well. As for sharps boxes I’m afraid I still have some hanging around. I did the same after my first husband died. When I finally met someone else he thought I was a drug addict! X

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Hey Didge - Dandy Girl found me a website called, and I kid you not, sweatology.com. I haven't been desperate enough to look at it yet though.

We've already done sweating. I didn't think it would come back, but I suppose anything can happen on Planet PC. I've flipped the mattress so that the memory foam side is underneath and then put a large bath sheet below the bottom sheet. I've tried to strike a bargain so that he can have (a) up to three pairs of pyjamas a night providing that they are not ironed, or (b) one pair of beautifully ironed pyjamas per week. He's still thinking about that one.

Tonight My Patient felt like eating fried rice, so I put some prawns and peas in with the egg and rice, plus the secret weapon - MSG. Now I'm listening to 'Farewell to Stromness' played by LAGQ. Afterwards I'm going to listen to some Gregorian Chant. And then maybe the Rolling Stones. Or The Animals.

And speaking of sweat, I remember many years ago telling somebody that: Horses sweat, Gentlemen perspire, and Ladies glow. She immediately told me that she was dripping with glow.

Night folks
Mo

Marmalade

Postby Marmalade » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:21 am

Morning Mo,

Delighted that the patient is well enough to be giving you the run around! Just wanted to say that I love the play list and might do the same this evening.

Much love xxxx

Quickasyoucan

Postby Quickasyoucan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Time to lower ironing standards by the sound of it. My mother would be ashamed but my iron lives permanently in the cupboard!! Talking of sharps boxes UK clearly has a problem. My sister has just been through a twisted laborious saga to try and get rid of dad's until someone finally took pity and agreed to pick them up provided she can be in all day in dad's empty house!! Hoping both patients have a good day. Xx

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:14 pm

I am glad Peter is still being his usual character, it is so lovely to hear. Do you not have a tumble dryer you could put the PJ's in on their own and then fold them so they look ironed? As far as sharps are concerned I think the GP prescribes the sharp bin and then you go through this route when not collected (according to the Dandygal instruction book on how to deal with this unnecessary crap) 1) ask the local authority to collect it as they are supposed to 2) walk into your local authority and say you asked them but no one came... sorry receptionist as I know you are lovely and it is not your issue but here is my sharp box after a month of trying. 3) leave said sharp box. 4) go home and pour gin and make my dog one of those sleeping bags because he would really love one. Said dog is now sleeping in bed with me and I think he did before he was rescued (with previous owner - no threesomes here). If the covers come off in the night he wakes me up and crawls back under again. When I first got him the blighter was not even allowed on the sofa but now... I bow to all his demands and even home cook his dinner because he hates dog food. x

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm

We're sorted sharps-wise; we have a nice yellow box and when it's full we drop it off at Peter's GP, if possible right under the nose of the sniffiest and most bolshie receptionist. I'm just not sure that I can dispose of the thumping great delivery syringes which contain the needle for the heparin. It didn't occur to me that they might be a problem until Marmalade said so - I'll wait until they become a problem and then get Donald MacMillan nurse to help.

And I think I have things under control ironing-wise too; for many years I have folded everything up to the size of an envelope and gone 'bang' quite hard on top with the iron. While he was in hospital I did iron Peter's pyjamas because it made me feel better (it's an age thing - mine, not his), and I even took home washing from somebody in his ward who was condemned to wearing hospital pyjamas because "the NHS cannot be responsible for patients' personal laundry" and he'd lost an argument with a bowl of tomato soup and I felt sorry for him. Apart from feeling sorry for him he was young and good looking and didn't have any visitors.

I don't have a tumble drier. I can't decide if I'm deprived or just an average Old Age Pensioner. There is space for one in the garage, right next to the washing machine. Because of the Attendance Allowance I trot off to the laundry in the winter with towels and sheets and things.

Peter's pain has improved a lot since the RT. The hospital reduced the dose of Longtec to 20mg from 30mg, and today he forgot to take his morning tablet, which means, to me anyway, that he wasn't conscious of any pain and wasn't clock-watching to see if it was time for the next dose. So despite the awful radiation gastritis the radiotherapy actually made a huge difference. In true roller-coaster style, if you remove one problem Planet PC presents you with a replacement tout de suite, so getting rid of the pain meant that we got pulmonary emboli instead.

Boris is patting me to say that it's time for his goodnight sweetie, which must now be broken into four to suit his toothless state. The Vet assures me that his gums will toughen up, but I can't imagine him crunching his Dreamies with gusto when he can only use his gums. Given the chance he will swallow them whole and then throw them up again in a nice dark corner.

So I have urgent matters to attend to.
Love and purrs,
Mo and Boo

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 am

Hi Mo, Peter and Boo, Everything in you post strikes a chord, been there with cat sick!!! been there with the ironing, I ironed everything, even my Mum's knickers, that was for her sake though, since I lost Trevor and have the family staying I have got lazy there too. I just hang things outside to dry, if possible, then shake them and put them away but I love ironing my grandson's clothes, as they are only iron sized anyway.
I hope Peter manages to stay pain reduced, it does make such a difference to his quality of life,
as you say the radiation was worth the problems it brought with it. as for not hearing him when he awoke I am sure had he needed you he would have made sure you heard him.
As for Boo I am sure the vet is right, but I am equally sure Boo will make sure you continue to
pamper him, as is his right after all, I do miss not having a cat, I am not sure if we got the "unusual" animals or we made them unusual if you know what I mean!, but all of our were real
characters. Please take care and perhaps the AA will stretch to a tumble dryer, then you can be
blase' about the ironing. sending love to you all sandrax xx

Dandygal76

Postby Dandygal76 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:51 am

I hope you get the delivery syringes sorted - it is so annoying to have to deal with these things that should be made simple considering.

That is really awful that someone without support cannot get their washing done. Perhaps this should be put to the volunteers. Sometimes it is such a soulless experience and it is basic human dignity. I can't even imagine having to sit their with no visitors and no-one then making that extra special effort to comfort you.

I have just replaced my tumble dryer and was so surprised how cheap they were really - I think you would make up the cost over winter and at least you don't have your knickers hanging everywhere! Ha ha.

Peter is doing so well and I am glad his pain has reduced - for dad's bone met we was told by some professional I dare not mention to say he was in pain and they would blast it because of that. But as we know, PC is never that simple.

Can you also not whizz up the Dreamies or something in a food processor? I do that to raw eggs that I put in the dogs food because it sounds awful eating egg shell and it is quite sharp to touch. I do it so he gets enough calcium in his diet.

Love to you, Bo and Peter. x