A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Veema

Re: Thanks for sharing your experiences . . .

Postby Veema » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:05 pm

Ha ha...sorry Mo, but good on Peter...naughty as he is...he's living his life.

Oh...and kale is rank at the best of times!

Vx

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:07 pm

Oh Mo, you are so funny and I bet half the time you don't mean to be!

Dare I ask if the roast survived?

Lots of love xx

Veebee

Postby Veebee » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks for that funny post Mo. ....made me chuckle...Vee xxx

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:39 pm

I really didn't mean to be funny, and yes, the roast survived and had the delicate texture of shoe leather which has been stamped on. It wasn't kale, I just said that so you would think I was trendy, it was little bits of sprouting kale which are nice if you slightly undercook them and then put some oil on top. (I refuse to say drizzle). The spuds were OK though. The peas and carrots took a starring role in Monday night's stirfry (it used to be called bubble-and-squeak) but the parsnips and kale received a christian burial in the compost heap.

I feel almost guilty talking about Peter's chemo in a lighthearted way when others on this forum are really suffering. We only have a short journey to hospital, the appointments are early so the car park isn't completely packed, and it's as painless as it can be. I used to have to stay in overnight when I had chemo but Peter is only there for 2 hours max.

Anyway, today he attended the chemo clinic, drenched in expensive aftershave for his weekly flirt with the nurses. One of them told him that he should really take it easy after chemo because the side effects were cumulative and after 5 cycles he could begin to feel more nauseous and more fatigued. Because somebody in a uniform said it, he will obey instantly. I said it last week and was ignored. So let's hope we don't have a repeat of last week's shennanigans with golf buggies etc. If necessary I shall confiscate his car keys.

This week we'll do it My Way.
Love, Mo

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Oh Mo, perhaps you don't realise what a tonic your posts are. It's posts like that which perk us up. Although I'm certainly not suffering as others are, I've not had lots to laugh about lately so I'm grateful for any chuckle!

Fingers crossed the patient will obey.

Lots of love xx

Elaine123

Postby Elaine123 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:23 am

Mo I love it especially the bit about stir fry previously being bubble and squeak....you are a tonic. I always have this picture in my mind of Peter wafting through the corridors of the chemo unit leaving a trail of expensive aftershave behind him it's brilliant. I hope he doesn't have too much of a reaction to his chemo this week although the lure of his new toy may be too much and he will do his damndest to get up there and power it up and go riding into the blue yonder. He is marvellous. I cannot wait to hear what his next purchase will be after the aftershave and scooter. I bet he is planning it already. Seriously though hope it is a good weekend for him which in turn is good for you. Hugs
Elaine
X

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:27 pm

Elaine, when Peter was 9st he did waft along corridors like a consumptive poet with a hand to his fevered brow.
Now he's 12st and he plods. Plod. Plod. Plod.
I hope the buggy is up to his weight, that's all.
Love, Mo

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Well, we got through the weekend as anticipated, except that the nausea is now more pronounced. My Patient feels sick a lot of the time, although eating does take the feeling away for a while. Strange. I would have thought that it made it worse, but chemo is a weird thing and no two people respond to toxic waste the same way. He really does look fat now, and hates it, but Dr Feelgood nearly had a fit when he suggested that he would like to lose some weight.

I wonder if his insulin dose was modified a bit it may help things ? I've e-mailed his nice diabetes nurse with all the blood readings since January 1st, and he is going to have a look. He mentioned an algorithm which may be helpful, and will get back to us, and I hope he's going to provide the Ladybird Book of Algorithms because I don't even know what they are in relation to diabetes.

Before he was struck all of a heap with nausea, Peter even suggested that he would prepare dinner for us. His Signature Dish is boiled rice. Sometimes it's boiled rice with a twist, the twist being that he forgot to add any salt, so he hasn't been encouraged to forge a new career in my kitchen. He suffers from Neanderthal Syndrome, meaning that the kitchen and associated equipment (sink, cooker etc) constitute a brave new world and he awards himself a Michelin star each time he makes a piece of toast or slaps his instant porridge in the microwave.

I can't mess about with his diet because his blood sugar leaps about all over the place after chemo (I wonder if Gemcitabine contains sugar ?) but the additional weight is making him even more weary. One of the rites of passage when you hit the magical Six Oh is saying "Uff" every time you sit down or stand up. Peter says "Uff" for nothing. He even says it when he changes gear. It's been too wet to take his buggy out (He doesn't want to get it dirty - does anybody know of a tarmacked golf course anywhere ?) but this morning he went to hit some golf balls with our friend the club professional. He probably said "Uff" every time he walloped the ball and the club pro couldn't stand it any longer.

Boris, by contrast, says "Woo". I have managed to wean him off Fruits of the Forest Activia Yoghurt, and instead am encouraging Plain No Nonsense Activia Yoghurt with Bisafillidophulus. Or something. He has taken up residence under the apple tree where every bird in the district can see his large white stern (you can probably see it from space) so I don't think there's any chance of him supplementing his meals with a feathery entree.

Enough nonsense, I'm currently making a jacket and have spent half an hour trying to pin shoulder pads in the right place while wearing it and having stabbed myself 50 times I have given up. I'm off to make dinner - not rice, you'll be glad to hear, but some salmon and new potatoes and broccoli. I'm going to have a boiled egg because nothing fits me and we're going out on Saturday night - nausea permitting.

Hope you're all well.
Or well-ish, anyway.
Take care
Love Mo

Veebee

Postby Veebee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:41 pm

Oh, Mo... you are a comic. I'm piling the weight on...I lost almost 3 stone at SW a few years ago and kept it off until last year. Now, I daren't get on the scales. Allan won't get on them because he's so scrawny and I don't get on because I'm in denial. I dust the blooming things.

You should buy yourself a mannequin for your dressmaking.

Vee xx

Elaine123

Postby Elaine123 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:56 am

Good morning Mo as per usual your post uplifted me. I hope the diabetes nurse comes up with some answers soon and that Peters nausea calms down ....it must be horrid for him. I can imagine Dr Feelgoods face when he asked about losing weight. Like you I need to get some of this blubber off that's been going on at an alarming rate.....I am making all these fattening foods to try and put weight on Pete and I am scoffing them too , it has to stop. Does Peter have chemo this week ? . I hope his nausea gets under control this week. Hugs
Elaine
X

Veema

Postby Veema » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:15 pm

When I was pregnant and had nausea, eating made it better...well, eating salty hula hoops and pineapple did, so I get that...his body will be craving what it needs. I always need a salty Chinese takeaway if I have a hangover...suppose it's a bit like that. And how strange...a fat PC patient...never heard of one of those before!

Think you've just got to roll (no pun intended) with it.

Vx

Marmalade

Postby Marmalade » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:02 pm

Hello darling Mo,

You are very quiet but I see you are checking up on all of us and making sure we are ok, you are such a sweetie.

Your witty and comic posts on here are such a tonic, as is your care for others but we understand that beneath it all you have all the same collywobbles and anxieties as the rest of us so never feel that you must always be the life and sole of the party if you don't feel like it. We will still love you even if you have gone into a tail spin over blood sugars or want to go doolally with a meat cleaver.

Equally, you must not feel reticent to tell us that life with Peter and Boris is going well, its always a joy to celebrate and having been through PC with the many friends on here, our expectations are modest and we are easily impressed!

Please give Peter and Boris a hug from me and huge hugs for you, I will email soon I promise and tell you all about my new car and my Ukulele lessons....

M xx

M xx

Elaine123

Postby Elaine123 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:36 am

Hi Mo I see it has to be a lovely warm weekend just the weather for scooter journeys I hope Peter is raring to go ....just on to wish you Peter and Boris a lovely weekend I don't see Boris needing his cozy sleeping bag for the next few days. Hugs
Elaine
X

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Well, it's been a good week so far. We've had 4 hospital appointments - one eye clinic and three PC related, but all has gone quite smoothly. Highlight of the week was a chat with Dr Feelgood who is delighted with Peter's progress. Not exactly Peter's progress, but the lack of progress of the tumour. He had chemo yesterday, he's gone out this afternoon to deliver a birthday present and see friends, and I'm marooned indoors because my car has gone in for servicing. Which is fine, because Health and Safety would condemn my house, and I'm thinking of putting my name down for that awful Channel 4 programme where 2 bossy women come and inspect all your nooks and crannies and then attack them with lemon juice and bicarbonate of soda. So all is hoovered, polished and shiny. For now, anyway.

It's a beautiful sunny afternoon, which makes me want to go out in the garden and roll around in the grass on my back and whinny, but I'll confine myself to some gentle deadheading of the daffs and a little light pruning of the honeysuckle which has gone berserk. I just love it when the trees look as though they are wreathed in light green mist, and when you look more closely you realise that the leaves will be unfolding soon. It's easier to be optimistic when it's sunny.

I don't feel comfortable sharing bright and cheery news when other people are suffering so much, but then I think how happy good news from Stephua and Ruthus makes me feel so I post anyway.

Take care
Love Mo

Marmalade

Postby Marmalade » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:34 pm

You carry on sharing Mo, you are not expected to carry everyone else's grief and couldn't even if you tried. Good news cheers us all up and gives many people hope. Good for Peter and for you!

I hope your garden is fairly private as rolling about whinnying might attract unwanted attention from men in white coats but hey, you have to be a little mad to survive life don't you?

I am enjoying the garden too, I have blackbirds nesting in my honeysuckle so it will have to stay berserk for now. Can't stop long as I am away to my ukulele lesson. I fear teaching me to produce anything like music with my fat fingers is going to be a long job!

Love to you both xxx