A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
ElsieG

Re: Husband J Severe D & V

Postby ElsieG » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:37 pm

Thank you so much Sandra and Sue for your kind words. We have been married for nearly 23 years and been together for 35 years. I was a child bride of course! We are looking forward to the day very much. Even splashing out on M & S sarnies & party bits. J says he can't take it with him!

ElsieG x

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi Elsie,
I hope you had a lovely day yesterday, and that the weather was kind, I was thinking of you both,
take care love sandrax xx

ElsieG

Postby ElsieG » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:48 pm

Sandra, thank you so much for thinking of us. We had an absolutely lovely day with all our family and special friends. We live in Somerset and the weather was beautiful. John has been feeling a bit up and down with a lot of breakthrough pain even though his morphine has been increased he is still taking morphine tablets = to 10mls every 3 hours or so. We saw his oncologist today for the results of his ct scan a week last Friday and it was really bad news. It has grown to 12cm on the pancreas and as well as both sides of his liver it has now spread to his kidneys and spleen. There is nothing more that chemo can offer him and we are just to enjoy every day we have left. It is a fast growing very aggressive cancer & she thinks it will be 12 weeks or less. John's oncologist is an amazing woman who has been very supportive throughout and she was in tears herself and the senior nurse & dietician. They did what they could but when diagnosed he was pretty well advanced with it and the only chemo session he had nearly killed him anyway.
So there we have it. Off with the Picc Line and on with the smiles. We intend to enjoy every minute we have left and our first main thing to do is make it to London on 10th October to see John's Grandson Benjamin on the West End stage in the new musical Kinky Boots. It is a matinee so we should be ok, all being well. Little Victories in spite of everything, that is what we aim for. Love & best wishes to you and everyone else battling away at this unwanted intrusion in our lives. Xx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi Elsie,
So sorry to read your news. Such a cruel disease. Enjoy every moment of your time together and I hope you enjoy seeing your grandson in Kinky Boots. I loved that film. I hope John is well enough to go out lots of times.
My Mum is seeing the oncologist tomorrow for her scan results. Not looking forward to it at all.
Take care and look after yourself as well.
Love Sue xxx

ElsieG

Postby ElsieG » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:42 pm

Sue, thank you so much for your kind words. It means so much to us both. I can only give you a cyber hug for tomorrow and sincerely hope that your Mum has better news. She has come across in your posts as a lady with a fighting spirit and lots of guts. You must be so proud of her and of yourself too for supporting Mum every step of the way.

God Bless,

ElsieG xx

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:02 am

Elsie,
So very sorry to hear your news, but glad you had a lovely weekend, and I hope you enjoy the show. Some of the staff at the hospitals are amazing, our consultants registrar too was in tears when she realised how poorly Trevor was, and quite a few of the nurses in the treatment room teared up when I went back to see them all, sometimes I wonder how they can do the job. I am sure you will make the most of your time together, and I hope John stays a well as he can, take care love sandrax xx

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:12 am

Elsie,

So very sorry to read your news. They are completely devastating words to hear. Just remember, they aren't specific, and of course it could be longer. Enjoy every moment you have. Life is so cruel.

Leila xx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:54 am

Hi Elsie,
How are you and John? Did you manage to see and enjoy Kinky Boots?
Thinking of you,
Love Sue x

ElsieG

Postby ElsieG » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:11 pm

Sue,
Thank you for asking after us. John is doing very well at the moment. He is on increased steroids and is having 100mg of zomorph slow release tablets twice a day with morphine 10mg tablets for pen. The last 2 weeks he has been doing odd jobs around the house (recovering kitchen chairs, putting in a new phone) and has been out in his beloved garden making a new bed and planting bulbs for next spring. He has enjoyed the lovely sunshine and has also been cooking lovely meals, even though he still can't eat much.
We know it is the steroids giving him this small window of normalalisation so we are embracing it. I am back at work and work from home 2 days a week but will obviously be at home when things inevitably change. We are seeing Kinky Boots this Saturday so looking forward to that.
I am so pleased your Mum is doing so well Sue, much love and best wishes to you all. X

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi Elsie,

I know how hard it is for you to see John so poorly, but I read positive things there. If he's up and about, tinkering in the garden, cooking meals, that is so good. Yes, it is things that we would take for granted, but when you are so poorly, they are tasks which are so amzing for him to be doing. I hope we get more nice sunny days so John can spend them in the garden.

Take care

Leila xx

ElsieG

Postby ElsieG » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:10 pm

Leila,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I know you are going through it yourself trying to cope with the loss of your dear Dad so very much appreciate your taking the time to comment. John is enjoying his 'late retirement' as he calls it. He is a very young at heart 71 and was working full time up to his diagnosis on 23rd June and stopped there and then, so strange though it may seem, he has seen this time at home as a bit of a bonus. Although he was ill after the chemo, he has had input from the palliative care nurse from the outset and they have tried to get him on top of the pain which have helped him to cope. He has lost 8 inches from his waist and has shrunk in clothes from ex large to medium. I have never seen anything like it and often cry silent tears to see him so frail. His morphine dosages have increased yesterday quite substantially so we are a little fearful of the next few weeks. However, we are trying to keep positive and are seeing the children and grandchildren as much as possible and laugh when we can.
Our daughter E who is 19 and is autistic and has a learning disability recently raised £110.37p (can't forget the 37p...) for MacMillan by organising a coffee morning at her day centre at Able to Achieve in Yeovil. We are so proud of her as she sent off for all the material and made posters etc and took great pride in banking the money. She told Macmillan when they rang that it was for her Dad who has PC and will die soon (people with autism don't do abstract or tact...) but the Mac nurses had been very nice. It has been hard for her to understand what will happen, the uncertainty of it all being quite unsettling for her but she is being very brave and helpful as are our other children.

Love & best wishes,

Linda x (aka ElsieG)

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:08 pm

Linda,

It is hard to see them so frail. I remember accidentally seeing Dad change his top and I could see his ribs. My heart broke so much for him. It is so very tough. But we have to swallow hard, and carry on. I was so strong when I was with Dad, he must have thought I was heartless, but my boyfriend would pick me up from the train station and I would just break down and cry.
Are the steroids helping with his appetite? Is he still losing weight?
Oh Linda your lovely daughter, how good of her to raise that money all by herself. She must be very pleased with herself. It must be very hard for you to help her to understand about John?

Leila xx