A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
sheena

Re: frustrated

Postby sheena » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:36 pm

Ty all. After a really bad night, the worst one yet as I am so tired, but survived the day. Got peppermint water and thank God it is working. Purchased a lot of pillows so he is well propped up and feeling more comfortable. Sugar level is down to 14·5 so hopefully will keep going down. I am sure this was the problem with his anxiety.

Have told Steve he is not going any were yet. I have fought hard to keep him alive and he ain't giving up yet. His reply was yes you are my Angel who will never give up and I won't let you down. I will have had pc for a year in March and I am going to celebrate that I survived a year.

So that is now his target to reach. Feeling more happy tonight but still worried as he really isn't very well, but tomorrow is another day.

Ty all

Didge

Postby Didge » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:01 am

Glad he is a little better, Sheena and hope it continues through the weekend. March is only a month away now! x

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:11 am

Hi Sheena,
I really feel for you but you are doing an amazing job. I hope the weekend is better for you both and Steve is more comfortable. Keep an eye on those blood sugars levels as my Mums were high and then went so low she had a hypo!
I am thinking of you and I know exactly how you feel. Stay strong.
Love Sue xxx

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:09 am

Dear Sheena

As a diabetic myself, I know only too well how horrible Steve must have felt with such high blood sugars alone. I can't imagine just how tough it must be on you to see him suffer. That's my biggest fear.

Late at night when you are so exhausted is the worst possible time emotionally but try to keep telling yourself you are doing your absolute utmost. My husband is only a few weeks behind Steve in his diagnosis so we are both going to celebrate one year PLUS survival together and then a lot longer after that too. okay?!!

I hope by the time you read this message, Steve's sugars are back down, he's feeling better all round and you've managed to get some much needed sleep.

All the best xx

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Good for you Sheena,

You seem to being a great job looking after Steve, and it is obvious he loves you very much.

Leila xx

sheena

Postby sheena » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:26 pm

To all you wonderful people you are all my rock. I have wasted hours at various appointments and got more confused at each one. Most of what I was told contradicted what the last dietician, nurse , Dr,diabetes nurse etc told us. Nothing helped, BUT when I come on here you explain it all simply to me you know what works you share your ideas and it works. I am so blessed to have found you all. Steve is having a good day eaten a little, watched rugby, sugar level still at 14 but getting there and indigestion is sorted x

Didge

Postby Didge » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Hi Sheena , just checking in, glad Steve has enjoyed the start of the 6 Nations. And 14 is still high but not too alarmingly so - hope it continues to fall and he feels more 'human'. Sending you lots of love and we are here for you. Also any tricky questions in week days, do ring the nurses on here, they are so knowledgeable and talking to them can really set you on the right path. But we are here for you too and especially at weekends! xxx

sheena

Postby sheena » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:08 am

Ty didge you really have to have been through it to know how we feel,you are always there to support us and I am truly grateful for that x

Didge

Postby Didge » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Hope Steve is well enough for more 6 Nations today - me, I'll be watching the football instead! xx

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:26 pm

How is Steve today Sheena and are you managing to get some sleep? xx

sheena

Postby sheena » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:02 pm

Hi, all well. What a horrid week so far.

Everything has gone wrong, bad indigestion, feeling sick, not sleeping and more weight loss. Wednesday night Steve had enough and wanted to die. Spent 3 hours trying to perk him up but nothing helped. Palliative nurse came today and she was amazing. Because his sugar levels are all over the place - very high then very low - that's why he is feeling down.

Saw diabetic nurse and he is being closely monitored. Community nurse coming in twice a day to test his bloods. Steve is in a far happier place tonight and starting to be positive again. I really don't know how much longer I can go on, I am mentally destroyed.

Hope all is well with you all much love x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:30 am

Hi Sheena,

Thats great that Steve is now being closely monitored, especially his blood sugars. Hopefully, this will make a difference to how he feels, as they can act on regulating his glucose levels.

You are doing such a great job Sheena, but of course, must be exhausting.

Do you get any respite at all? The Red Cross will come into your home and sit with your loved one if you would like to go out for a short time. Also, do you have any other support at all? Any groups you can get to locally where you can be supported?

Great that you are able to come onto the forums and get support here.

Take care,

Jeni.

Didge

Postby Didge » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:50 am

Sheena, poor you. As Jeni has said, if you can get away even for a couple of hours for a coffee with a friend, it can make all the difference. Although I was always worried when we were apart it did give me the chance to switch off for a short time and if you can do that it can recharge your batteries. Otherwise embrace the better times as they come so if Steve is feeling brighter then join him if you can! xx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:15 am

Hi Sheena how are you today? How is Steve? Do you have support from the hospice or a community nurse? I found them invaluable and so helpful. Your journey sounds so much like mine I think of my Mum every time you post. If you want to e mail me anytime please ask the moderator for my e mail.
I am thinking of you I know how hard this is.
Love Sue xxx

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:24 pm

Thinking of you Sheena. I sincerely hope you have the support that you so desperately need. Please forgive me for asking this but have you talked your own emotional health through with your doctor? The focus is always so rightly on the patient and it shouldn't be any other way but your health is also important.

I found it exceptionally hard to cope with hubby's shock diagnosis which came after a run of bad luck and huge amounts of stress and like you, I felt mentally exhausted. My wonderful GP put me on anti depressants which prior to diagnosis I would not have touched with a barge pole but they do help so please don't be afraid, embarrassed or whatever to ask for help to see you through these horrific times. There's a day and night different now to how I feel and how I'm able to cope with all that's thrown at us.

All the very best xxxx