A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Sueoliver

Re: frustrated

Postby Sueoliver » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi Sheena I can really sympathise as so much you are going through is what I've been through with Mum! Mum's sugar levels are up and down and hard to stabilise! I have had a community pallative nurse and she has been a godsend so keep asking for one. They are very supportive and knowledgeable! Ask them to assess your home and involve occupational therapy as they can supply the commode etc! Mum has fallen a few times and it is not what you need!
Stay strong and keep fighting for everything you need.
Thinking of you both,
Love Sue x

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:16 am

Oh Sheena,
You certainly have enough on your plate, without financial worries too, I hope you can get some help.
On a practical front I know here end of life care, is pretty good at providing all the extras needed so I hope its soon sorted for you both.
Blood sugars are so weird up and down for the most obscure reasons, which when you don't know much about them is very confusing lets hope that's sorted soon too.
Just sending a hug, and to let you know I am thinking of you both, love sandrax xx

Didge

Postby Didge » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:23 pm

Do you test his blood sugar levels yourself? If so you can keep an eye on it. Eating should raise his blood sugar levels not deplete them but levels can fluctuate with PC so plans need to be flexible! Good luck and sending you lots of love x

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:04 pm

Didge strangely not eating can also raise your blood sugar dramatically, something to do with the body giving you extra glucose of some form to give you energy. Its all just so complicated along with the fact of PC adding to the mix. sandrax xx

sheena

Postby sheena » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:21 pm

Thank you all for continuing support.

I feel Steve is in the "can't be bothered" mode at the moment. He says he just wants it over with. Spoke with his own doctor as I was angry at A&E as I felt Steve wasn't treated that well by the Dr there. He actually asked why we felt we needed to be there, why could it not wait till Monday.

He said there wasn't much he could do as no oncologist was available. Also Steve had to get dressed as 3 ambulances had arrived and they needed his bed so we had to go into waiting room. The daft thing is, he said Steve was the least sick of all the other patients. His Dr is not happy and will be looking into it. So hopefully won't have to pay the bill.

sheena

Postby sheena » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:19 pm

Saw oncologist today. Very shocked at Steve's weight loss.

Scan results show no change in pc but showing 2 glands that are pressing on a nerve - can't remember what he called it. Also lungs are now speckled with pin size spread. Have given Steve steroids to try boost appetite, sleeping tablet to try get him to sleep better and indigestion tablets.

Will have bloods and X-Ray in 4 weeks time. No chemo as Steve too weak. Palliative nurses will be in place sometime next week.

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi Sheena,

Sorry it is so tough for Steve and you at the moment. I really hope the steroids work for him, and he can regain some appetite and some weight.

Leila xx

kittycat

Postby kittycat » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi Sheena, so sorry that Steve is not well but you're doing a wonderful job. I haven't posted for quite some time but have followed your story. Stay strong if you can.

Sue

boa

Postby boa » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:22 am

Just sending you best wishes that Steve feels stronger soon and strength to you as you support him in difficult times.
Catherine

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:23 am

Hi Sheena,
Just to let you know I am thinking of you both and hoping Steve feels better with the steroids, take care love sandrax xx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi Sheena,
I totally understand everything you are going through! Stay strong and I'm thinking of you. Sue xxx

Didge

Postby Didge » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:58 am

Sorry to hear Steve is not good. Hope the palliative people can help and inspire him! Rob had a really good home care one who encouraged him to do the things he enjoyed and make plans. This gave him some hope that there could be some nice things in the future to look forward to. xx

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:36 pm

Hello Sheena

Sending you my very best wishes, steroids worked wonders for my husband. Good luck, thinking of you

PW xx

sheena

Postby sheena » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:57 pm

Steve a bit brighter - did a bit of painting but found it to difficult instead of relaxing. He is quite shakey. Got him some puddings, foticremes as he can't tolerate fortisips anymore. Has eaten half of one and a bit of melon. He has terrible heartburn and meds don't seem to be working.

Will be seeing his own gp on Tuesday so hopefully give him something else. Any suggestions on light meals I can give him ? Everything I suggest he doesn't want. I am holding it together just but find night times hard as I keep watching him while he sleeps and am exhausted when alarm clock goes off.

Thanks for all your kind messages x

allyc1

Postby allyc1 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi Sheena

My dad suffered terrible heartburn, he had gaviscon advance and the chewable tablets, they helped a little. When my dads appetite went downhill he liked ice cream, scrambled egg and cup a soups, think he found them easy to digest.
My thoughts are with you both

Alison xx