A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
gillvb1

CHEMOTHERAPY

Postby gillvb1 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi,

My Dad has pancreatic cancer and we have been told that the Whipples operation removed the tumour but that Chemotherapy is needed to zap any rogue cancer cells. Can anyone give me their experiences of being treated with the drug Gemcitabine (Gemzar) please? Hope to hear from any of you soon, Kind Regards, Gill x

Ellie

Re: CHEMOTHERAPY

Postby Ellie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:04 pm

Hi Gill

Sorry can't help with your query (my husband having different chemo), but just wanted to say hi and ask how your dad is doing.

Hope he's still making a good recovery.

Best wishes
Ellie
x

megascops

Postby megascops » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:09 am

My Mum had this with cisplatin as well
They were very effective for a while.
It was on a 14 day cycle, she felt ill (lethargic) around day 5-6 of every cycle. So try to plan nice activities for him round the time of the cycle he is feeling most well (no point in bothering to try to do too much with him at the worse time of the cycle, better to organise nice things at the best time to give him quality things to look forward to. Take unpaid leave from work if necessary to do this, you won't regret it, I promise).
There are several side effects, probably different in every person, most likely nausea and diarrhea. They can be treated quite effectively. But they are quite predictable from one cycle to the next, e.g. if he feels bad on day 5 of the first cycle you can bet he will feel the same on the next.
They’ll probably give him anti-nausea tablets when he goes for the chemo.
The side -effects are not too bad but they are likely to get a bit worse over the period of treatment, not massively so but they do tend to get worse.

lorraine

Postby lorraine » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:16 pm

Hello
My dad is in his last set of chemo (1 week to go) he had chemo today, but was also told that he needed to go in tomorrow for a blood transfusion (sorry not sure how to spell it). He's been very low his week,in bed most of the time .Is this anything to worry about? Dad has p/c which they are only now treating with chemo untill next week.He will then be rescanned,but he seems to have gone down alot in the last few weeks.
Lorraine

chinup

Postby chinup » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:44 pm

Hello Gill
Just want to say all the best, it's great news that your dad's operation went well - if he gets through as much chemo as possible he should have a really great chance, good luck.
Last edited by chinup on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gillvb1

Postby gillvb1 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:03 am

Thank you to all who replied to my post. Chinup - you are not rambling - you have provided me with very useful information which I will refer to over the next 6 months of my Dad's Chemotherapy. My Dad had his Whipplies on 1 October 2008 and will start his first cylce of Chemotherapy on 5 December 2008. He will receive Chemotherapy on a weekly basis for 4 weeks, then every month for the following 5 months. Let's hope he responds well to treatment. He has recovered amazingly well from the Whipples with no side effects at all other than he is now taking Enzymes with food. My Dad is nearly 75 years old but is as fit as a fiddle and if anyone can make it he can - I've got everything crossed! Still feeling pretty negative though, I know that this will be an up hill struggle and I wouldn't wish this situation on anyone. Best foot forward and thank you for all your support which, believe me, is what keeps me going in the unknown future ahead of me. Love, Gill x

chinup

Postby chinup » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:48 pm

Gill, hope your dad is doing ok with the chemo. X
Last edited by chinup on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kazzie

Postby kazzie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:59 pm

hello,just thought I'd say that you must be happy that is really good news to hear ,as with this disease it is the best we can all hope for,enjoy your xmas and have a good time.xxx Karen

chinup

Postby chinup » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:19 pm

Karen, thank you for your good wishes, as you say it could have been a very different story. We are just making the very best of this break, my mum has just been round for sunday lunch and managed to polish off a plate full, it was such a boost for us all to see her tuck in as it has been an awful year and like all of you we have been beside ourselves with worry. Not sure what the future holds and there is a certain inevitability about this disease isn't there?
All the very best to you and your family xxx

gillvb1

Postby gillvb1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:27 am

Hi all, just a quick note to let you know how my Dad is doing. He has completed 3 weekly sessions of chemotherapy and has had no side effects at all. He is in the peak of health and continues to do really well. Dad visited the Consultant for a checkup yesterday and was told that he was one of those who had 'come through it'. I don't know whether to be rejoicing or not - as the last post stated, this condition seems to have an inevitable outcome. So far so good though. Happy New Year to you all. Love, Gill

chinup

Postby chinup » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:38 pm

Great news from you, keep us posted and all the very best to you and of course your courageous dad, XXX
Last edited by chinup on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joyce

Postby Joyce » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi gilvb1
I am new to this site and came across your note.
My husband is fighting pc and is using the drug you mentioned. He has done well on this, (he also as a ulcer and taking medication at the same time) feels tired on the day of the chemo and the day afterwards but otherwise goes out shopping, meals walks etc. His pc was inoperable also and we thought the worst. At his first scan after the first set of chemo it had stayed the same, no bigger, no smaller, and not ventured elsewhere. So on second course of chemo and will await to see what shows on next scan. He's had flakey skin on fingers and feet but moisteriser sorted that out. No hair loss, eating well a little tired. Obviously, this may change on his second set we will have to wait and see.
Hope this is of interest to you.
Take care Joyce

kazzie

Postby kazzie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:56 pm

Hello Joyce,I was reading your last post and my Dad has been attending our local hospice after every chemo to see the mcmillan nurse for alternative massage on his hands and feet ,as he is diabetic it has done wonders for him to aid his circulation and the condition of them.Has your husband enquired after this.I think it is quite a feelgood factor as well.
Karen

Joyce

Postby Joyce » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:26 am

Hi Karen
Tks for message
John is able to manage his skin problem with creams but will enquire re mcmillan. How old is your father and how is he doing. This is long road we travel especially at this time of year and it is sometimes difficult to cope with a husband with cancer. But he is focused and strong and togther we will tackle this. Hope the info re effects of drugs were of interest.

kazzie

Postby kazzie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Hello Joyce,I am so glad to hear how John is doing,when is his second scan ? My Dad will be 68 in a couple of weeks and only retired because if this 5 days before xmas,and this week he had his results from his scan and we had fairly good news as well as we could hope for with this disease.My Dad is very focused and very open to alternative medicene ,which is why he has been taking his honey.We went in shares with him on an allotment before he was diagnosed with this and that has kept him going to planning what he wants to grow so that has a very positive attitude,we are all here when you want to talk,take care Xxx Karen