A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
sandraW

Re: Mum's diagnosis

Postby sandraW » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:35 am

Sue,
So worrying for you all, I hope they can get her sorted soon, love sandrax xx

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi Sue,

That makes sense.

When the electrolytes in the blood go out of balance, things like sodium, potassium etc..., then she certainly can get confused and seem not to be making sense. They can correct this by giving the fluid containing these intravenously, and also, adding in medication.

The high blood sugars are not helping - its not great that her blood sugar levels are fluctuating so much from low to high. Perhaps they will fit an insulin pump so that its more reliable?

Take care,

Jeni.

Marieb

Postby Marieb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi Sue

Nothing to offer other than to say I hope your mum is feeling better. This must be so worrying and hard for you.

Take care

Marie x

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Today the levels were even higher 26.9! Spoke to a DR who just said they were treating the diabetes! She hasn't even seen an oncologist. I am not happy! The DR said they are working on getting her home with a different care plan! I have so many questions but nobody at the hospital can or will answer them!
What is going to happen if they send her home like this? I know she wants to go home but surely the blood levels have to be better!
Very frustrated!
Sue xxx

sheena

Postby sheena » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:06 pm

So sorry sue sometimes it's a nightmare trying to get facts and info keep up the pressure ,you are doing a grand job love to your mum x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi Sue,

Certainly would not be advisable while the blood sugars remain high, hence why I mentioned an insulin pump, a much more reliable way in the community to stabilise blood sugar levels.

Can you ask about this, or ask to speak to her diabetic nurse to see what the new plan is?

KR,

Jeni.

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi Jeni
Thankyou for your replies. The sugar levels were back own to 8 and 10 today! Saw a DR but they don't really tell you anything apart from they are treating the diabetes! Mum is so tired and her legs are swollen again! They sent a physio round today so she did some chair exercises! Her breathing seemed quite quick.
She has a nurse(health assistant) sitting with her all the time! I questioned it and they said because of the risk of falls.
I questioned the cancer but the medical doctors have no idea! Surely this is the cancer "doing its thing" and causing havoc? Shouldn't she be under oncology? I don't really understand any of it. It is her birthday tomorrow and I have bought her a pandora bracelet and charm.
Love to everyone going through this it has been a long 18 months with some really good times but some really bad times as well!
Sue xxx

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:35 pm

Sue,
I hope your mum has a good birthday as she can, and she likes her bracelet. hope you get it sorted but at least if her sugar had come down, that is better news, love sandrax xx

RLF

Postby RLF » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:09 pm

Hope your mum had a great birthday! I agree with you 100% that good times and horrible times, but I hope the good times have made those tough times worth it
Rob
x

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Hi Sue,

Sorry I haven't post here for a while. Have my reasons, but it is no excuse and I am sorry.

So sorry to read about your Mum, I really hope she has improved by now? Also hope you have seen someone about the actual cancer. I know when my Dad was in hospital, they seemed more interested in the stroke rather than what the cancer was doing to him. Very frustrating.
Hope your Mum managed to enjoy some of her birthday, and the present you got her sounds absolutely beautiful and I sure she loves it.

Always thinking of you

Leila xx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Thankyou Leila and please don't apologise! Mum was discharged yesterday and is now at home! She really wanted to be at home! Her stomach and legs are very swollen again, especially the legs! She says they are very sore!
I am very wortied about her and I'm not sure how much more she and her body can take!
This morning her blood sugar was 3.9! This is low! It just doesn't seem to regulate.
I have convinced myself something else will happen and I am on edge! She is very weak and very poorly!
Sending my love to everyone.
Sue xxx

jay

Postby jay » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:24 pm

Sending my love Sue,
hugs Jayne
xx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:18 pm

A quick update... Mum is at home and her blood sugar levels are actually much better at the moment! She' s very tired and her legs and stomach very swollen! Her legs are leaking fluid again. She has cold hands and feet and a slight cough. She is also suffering with diaorrehea especially during the night!
She is deteriorating and it is heartbreaking. I know there is never a good time but with Christmas looming it is so sad as you just can't feel happy and festive!
I send my love to you all dealing with this disease.
Sue xxx

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:37 am

Hi Sue,
So sorry to hear about Mum not doing so well, as you say its even harder at this time of year, I am thinking of you, and sending yet more love and strength to you, love sandrax xx

jay

Postby jay » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:18 pm

Sending love and strength too,
Jayne
xxxxx