A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
kittycat

Re: Mum's diagnosis

Postby kittycat » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:15 am

What good news that she is coming home - there's no place better and she will get the care she needs with less stress on you regarding visiting. I know my husband hates being in hospital and I know he won't go back unless he's desperate. Fingers crossed for the wedding, at least she has a little time to get over this ordeal.

Good luck.

Sue

jay

Postby jay » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:54 am

Good news your mum is coming home. thinking of you both,
love Jayne
x

LMD

Postby LMD » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:32 am

Hello Sue
Wishing your mum a smooth recovery and hope she is soon feeling stronger. Look after yourself too Sue. Thinking of you both xxx

RLF

Postby RLF » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:09 pm

That's great news for both of you! It's no good having to deal with the hospitals all the time, she will feel far more comfortably in her own bed.
Rob
x

Didge

Postby Didge » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:14 am

Great news. Hope she enjoys the tennis x

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:54 pm

So pleased your lovely Mum is able to go home.

How is she Sue? Is she managing to eat ok now?

Keep staying strong. You have it so very hard, but you are doing so well, and your Mum will appreciate this and she will stay strong because of you.

Leila xx

rsk1974

Postby rsk1974 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:28 pm

Your mum sounds amazing, I hope she is doing so much better being at home and will enjoy next week's tennis. You are amazing too, so hard being on edge the whole time and being strong.x

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:21 pm

Very strange day today. Hadn't seen Mum over weekend as I went on my daughters hen weekend to Cambridge. It did me good to get away! Phoned her up to say I was popping round and she was really touchy on the phone. She said the mobile and phone never stopped and it was disturbing her sleep! I didn't go round till about 4p.m and she hardly spoke just sat in her chair and dosed on and off. I ended up watching Andy Murray on the television!
I know she is exhausted but it was upsetting. It is sad to see her like that. She is eating and drinking which is good. She has help morning and evening which seems to be working and certainly helps me.
Not really sure what to expect now just hope she improves a little day by day.
Love Sue x

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:48 am

Its so good that your Mum is eating and drinking again, and of course she will be tired after all she has been through, and coming home after a spell in hospital is always exhausting, but as you say just lets hope she continues to improve, she certainly is a fighter.
Good too that you had a break, and enjoyed your weekend, I am sure your Mum was pleased to see you, and at least you were there with her, and watching Andy win was a bonus. love to you all sandrax xx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:57 pm

Quick update mum was very uncomfortable today and kept saying how hard it all was! She managed to have her hair cut at home though and it looked really nice.
She is still very tired and her feet and legs are swollen! The swelling in her hands and arms seems to have gone!
I feel so sad watching her and I feel like I'm drowning a bit at the moment!
Love to everyone out there going through this emotional roller coaster.
Sue xxx

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:06 pm

Sue, just to let you know I am thinking of you and your Mum love sandrax xxx

jay

Postby jay » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:33 am

Thinking of you Sue,
love Jayne
x

Bryansie

Postby Bryansie » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:31 pm

Hi Sue glad your mum is home, home is where the heart is and being round your own surroundings are a good tonic in themselves.
Take care, I went through similar with my mum, emotions everywhere x x x

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi Sue,

Sometimes when I called Dad, he would say that the phone hasn't stopped ringing and that he was going to switch it off for some peace and quiet. I think it is a constant reminder that they are ill, people keep calling asking if they are ok, over and over. They just want some peace to process their thoughts. I hated it when he switched his phone off. I couldn't rest until he switched it back on.
Just trying to think for your Mum's reasons to say this. I am sure just wants some time for her. She has been through so much, and she must have some many thoughts that she needs to process.
I used to just say ok, leave your phone on and I will leave you alone, just give me a call when you want to talk and I won't bother you until, just keave your phone switched on.

Leila xx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:12 am

So yesterday was my daughters graduation and Mum wasn't well enough to attend . There was an empty seat next to me! I just feel overwhelmed with sadness now every time I visit and every time I look at her!
The operation has been hard for her and recovery is slow. All she keeps saying is it's very hard! Her legs are swollen and she is very frail. I'm not sure if she will ever make progress now.
Today she has an oncology appointment that will be interesting. Last time he said she wasn't taken creon properly and she needed to build herself up! Even when she described the symptoms he didn't pick up on the blockage and it wasn't picked up on the CT scan! Now she's had major surgery! I don't think there will be any treatment on offer!
Some days I am overwhelmed but we have to carry on supporting and just being there. 6 weeks till my daughter's wedding it seems like such a long time away but Mum's still determined to be there let's hope she can be!
Take care of yourselves everyone.
Love Sue xxx