A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Sueoliver

Re: Mum's diagnosis

Postby Sueoliver » Fri May 01, 2015 10:39 pm

Mum continues to do well! She has had friends round for fish and chips, been shopping several times,afternoon tea and to the Harvester for dinner! Who would have thought it! I was struggling but had a lovely chat with Dianne the pancreatic nurse, it's good to talk to someone who understands.
The next big step is my daughter's graduation in July and then the wedding in August! You never know she is so determined! Fingers crossed.
Love to everyone,
Sue x

belgrade

Postby belgrade » Sat May 02, 2015 12:40 am

Hello Sue,
Lovely to hear such good news following the recent sad news. I hope your Mum continues to do well, please give her my good wishes.

Hilary

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 am

Sue, that's really great news, something positive, I am so pleased for you all. Its not too long to July/August now, I am sure she will be there to help you celebrate. love sandrax xx

Didge

Postby Didge » Sat May 02, 2015 12:22 pm

Yes, well done to your mum! Let's hope she reaches those goals xxx

RLF

Postby RLF » Sat May 02, 2015 12:45 pm

Very good news for your mum, she's doing so well!
Rob
X

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Sat May 02, 2015 1:12 pm

Great to hear that your Mum continues to do well. I am sure the goals will spur her on even more!

Steve
X

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Sun May 03, 2015 3:05 pm

A quick question !
Mum has very swollen feet and lower legs and apparently last night fluid was leaking from her leg! Has anyone experienced this?
Sue x

Didge

Postby Didge » Sun May 03, 2015 6:23 pm

When my mother had/has this it was because of kidney problems but I think fluid retention is quite common in cancer patients. She still finds that if she nicks her skin the fluid will leak out which was causing her more anguish than the swelling. Support stockings can sometimes help and hopefully at least the leaking will stop soon! x

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sun May 03, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi Sue,

Your Mum is a true fighter bless her. You must be so proud of her.

I would say it is fluid retention. Is she going to the toilet much? Dad had swelling, but his was in his arms and hands. I asked what it was and they said fluid retention. They said he wasnt producing enough urine. He was able to go to the toilet, but it was very little.

Leila xx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Sun May 03, 2015 10:10 pm

Thankyou for your replies she has an oncology appointment this week so we will get it checked out! She sure is a fighter Leila!
Sue xxx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Wed May 20, 2015 4:13 pm

So we have reached a milestone...a year ago today that Mum was diagnosed! We have certainly been on an emotional roller coaster!
Over the last few weeks Mum has continued to do well even putting on weight. The last couple of days there has been a change. Burping and terrible wind in the stomach and she has stomach pain today! She used to sit up in her chair at night when she couldn't sleep and the wind was bad and apparently that is what she has done for last 2 nights!
Mum has a scan booked on 1st June which isn't long now! I really hope this cancer isn't playing up again so quickly! I have to say I'm worried.
Love to everyone,
Sue x

bevstar

Postby bevstar » Wed May 20, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi Sue my mum's symptoms are so much like your mum's.Mum has been burping and full of wind for over a week now.I called the doctor out last week she was really bad. She is very tired at the moment with very little energy. I have been signed off work as I look after her.I hope your mums scan goes well it is very worrying time.
Take care Bev x

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Wed May 20, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi Sue,
It sure is a roller coaster this rotten disease, sorry to hear your Mum is not feeling too good, but congratulations to her on her 1 year anniversary. That's all we do isn't it worry and worry and worry, hope she feels better soon. love sandrax xx

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Fri May 22, 2015 3:19 pm

Hi Sue,

How is your mum now? Has the doctor been out to see her?
Dad always suffered with wind just after eating, and he said that caused his stomach to feel 'acky'.
i know the 1st of June seems like weeks away for you both. I hope they don't keep you waiting for the results for too long.

Leila xx

Sueoliver

Postby Sueoliver » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:59 am

Mum has had a good few weeks since her new stent was placed! She has been able to eat out, visit friends and go shopping! She even put on just over a stone in weight! I think we all became complacent thinking this is great and almost believing it would carry on and get even better! This unfortunately is not to be as in the last week Mum is suffering again. Same symptoms sickness, indigestion, gurgling and wind. She had a CT scan on Monday but is not seeing oncologist until 17th June...too long! On Thursday she saw the consultant who put in new stent and he wants her to have a barium meal x Ray on 15th June and then wait a week for results...too long! Mum has decided on Monday she will go to A and E as she can't wait.
I don't know if the cancer is now taking hold as she hasn't had chemo for 5 months or the stent is blocked again. Whatever is happening it isn't good.
I have been back at work for a month since she was poorly before and I got shingles! I will take more time off if I have to to be there for her.
Love to everyone fighting this cruel disease. Sue x