A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Dcoleman

Re: Need some advice if possible !

Postby Dcoleman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:51 pm

Right...what to do next. Dad has only been out of bed for about 2 hrs all day. He still has these terrible pains in his back that seem to build up and then shooting pain happens. He also has pains in his tummy. It's hard to understand or gauge exactly how I'll he is because he was always so fit and healthy. Is this the next stage of his illness.? He hasn't eaten anything really only his fortisip drinks and the weight is still falling off of him. I feel like we are letting him down by not doing something to help him if this is the last few weeks that he has with us. Has anyone got any advice as to what I should do x

J_T

Postby J_T » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Has he got a Macmillan nurse? Ours was brilliant at controlling pain issues together with our GP. Nag them, till you get it sorted!

Julia

Dcoleman

Postby Dcoleman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:14 pm

I wasn't with dad when the man from the hospice came. I'm not sure that dad tells him everything which doesn't help. I feel like I'm being a nuisance when I phone them. Should I phone them again do you think ?

brodders

Postby brodders » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:30 pm

It sounds to me like you are being the perfect loving daughter. My dad and I felt like that about my precious mum- it's normal. Are you with him now? Is he in a lot of pain. My dad and I called the night team out, they were brilliant. They gave my mum pain relief and something for her nausea- they came within the hour and 3 times in the night. Please you are not alone. Take care - Cate xxxx

brodders

Postby brodders » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Hope your dad had a good night sleep. Thinking of you Cate xx

Dcoleman

Postby Dcoleman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Thank you cate. Dad had a better day today he is now taking tramadol regularly which seems to be helping with the pain. He managed a cup of soup as well which isn't much but is better than nothing I guess. He managed to stay out of bed for longer as well today which is good. I decided that we embrace the good days as not sure how many more good ones we shall have x

Dcoleman

Postby Dcoleman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:26 pm

Dad seems to have quite severe breathlessness now. I gave read that pc can mean that there are blood clots on the lung or pulmonary embolism should I be concerned and phone the hospice I'm not sure what I should do x

brodders

Postby brodders » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:41 pm

How are you getting on. My mum had excellent care provided by the district nurse- which then fed into a night team. They were very helpful and kind. Sending you lots of love. Are you on your own with your dad? Xx

Dcoleman

Postby Dcoleman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:45 pm

No.my mum and partner are here too.i just feel like I'm being an inconvenience by contacting the hospice if it's not necessary.

SueH

Postby SueH » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi I would give them a call. You are not an inconvenience!! They are there to help. Hope all goes well. Sue

brodders

Postby brodders » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:51 pm

My thoughts exactly- that is what they are there for. Take care xx

wackywacky

Postby wackywacky » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:59 pm

No fast rules with this ring hospice or if you think bad ring for ambulance your not being an inconvenience

Dcoleman

Postby Dcoleman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:18 pm

I spoke to the hospice and they asked what medication he is on I said tramadol. She said he needs some sort of opiuts to help with his breathing and that I need to phone the nhs doctor which is now out of hours! He says it feels very tight in the top of his chest and his voice sounds weird. He can't walk even 10 steps with out being out of breath. The hospice is going to phone tomorrow morning!

brodders

Postby brodders » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:29 pm

Sorry to repeat myself - but there must be a night care team if you need them. Hope you all have a decent night. Thinking of you xx

Mum2three

Postby Mum2three » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:26 am

I'm going through very similar to you right now and have all the same questions. I wish I could give you answers, it's such a roller coaster. I know how heart breaking it is, you just want to hold them and make it all go away like they did when you were little. I hope he's feeling better soon, hugs to you all x x