A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Annie14

Re: Husband just diagnosed at 36

Postby Annie14 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:16 am

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your kind words and advice. It really helped us when we met the oncology team last night. My husband will be starting folfirnox next week for 3months. He has also been given Creon to help with his dodgy tummy and told to eat, eat, eat!!! I lost track of how many mince pies and tubs of ice cream he had last night but I guess having an appetite is a good thing.

The consultant was very honest with us but my husband likes straight talking people so I think they will get along well. I might find it a bit more difficult though. I prefer fluffy talk but I guess with pancreatic cancer there isn't much point in being fluffy.
It's my daughters 4th birthday this weekend so we are looking forward to that before the treatment starts.

Thank you all again!

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Hi Annie,
Glad to hear you husband has a good appetite! Hope you can have a good weekend, 4th birthdays are very special,
Nikki

InfoForMum

Postby InfoForMum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:30 pm

I second that Annie, I hope you have fun in spite of the exhaustion a party usually causes (unless you pay for the local soft play area to take things off your hands - guilty of that!) and I'm sure you'll love seeing wee one going nuts with her friends. It's fab.

Otherwise take good care and take it easy.

Sarah
XX

marie souter

Postby marie souter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:10 pm

Hope your lil one has a lovely birthday and ur hubby keeps that appetite going

Love n hugs
Marie
Xx

Annie14

Postby Annie14 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi everyone,

Thank you for kind messages. Our daughter had a brilliant birthday and was exhausted after it. She is now all set for Christmas.

My husband had his first folfirinox treatment yesterday which went well. He is a little nauseous but the anti sickness drugs are taking edge off it and he is very sensitive to cold food / drink. Other than that he is pleased with how he feels. He got up at 8am had breakfast and walked into town to get some groceries and has now gone to pick my parents up from airport for Christmas. Long may it continue but I'm aware that new issues may arise everyday.

The nurses and doctors all couldn't believe how young he was and asked lots of questions about his symptoms etc. I'm pleased they seemed so keen to learn. They also seemed surprised but delighted that he had managed to put on 2pounds.

Overall, I'm glad we have started on the long road and determined to get through it fighting.

J_T

Postby J_T » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:38 pm

All sounding good Annie.

A word of caution though, and not to put a downer on you, but forewarned is forearmed. The full effects of Folfirinox can take a few days to manifest and your husband may start to feel quite fatigued around day 5. He may not, but just thought you should be prepared.

Best wishes
Julia

belgrade

Postby belgrade » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:25 pm

Hello Annie,
I'm so glad things are going well for your husband and long may it continue. Sending you warmest good wishes for Christmas.

Hi Julia,
I know this is a different thread, but in response to you asking if I was ok, I have to say I've found things very difficult over the last few weeks with all the Christmas hype. How about you?

Hilary

marie souter

Postby marie souter » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:53 am

Hi Annie

So pleased ur hubby picked up enough to have his treatment x Julia is right though best thing is take each day as it comes and deal with fresh challenges as they arise. He sounds like a strong man he's gonna learn his limitations and how far he can push himself. He sounds like his support network is solid xx b strong honey glad he's eating as well

Love n hugs
Marie
Xx

Annie14

Postby Annie14 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:27 am

Hello everyone. I hope you all had a nice Christmas and New Year. I did but glad to get back into a routine now.

Just wanted to let you all know how Jim is getting on. He has had two cycles of folfirinox now and his side effects seem to have settled into a routine now. Immediately after the treatment he gets cold sensitivity in his mouth and the sensation of locked jaw when he eats. It only lasts two days and get progressively better over those. The following day he gets hiccups and on day 5/6 that's generally when the diarrhoea starts. It is normally just one bad day of it and then he has a week before the next cycle feeling normal (well, a little tired) He has been able to spend a couple of hours at work this week and has more golf planned than Tiger Woods which is a good sign. He has maintained his weight but is having to put in so much effort to do so. At least 3000 / 3500 calories everyday and still no gain. Just glad he isn't losing any! Talking about losing things.....he has noticed that he doesn't need to shave every day anymore. He normally had to shave twice a day his hair grows so quickly so the chemo is obviously starting to effect it. Generally we are pretty happy with the quality of life he has on chemo. For the first week we need to plan to be bear a toilet at all times but the second week is pretty much normal life!

J_T

Postby J_T » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:31 am

Hi Annie, pleased to hear Jim is doing well. Hiccups though, that's a new one!

Is Jim taking Creon? This should help with food absorption and maintaining/gaining weight.

Best wishes
Julia x

Annie14

Postby Annie14 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks Marie! The hiccups are like clockwork and start after around 10am the day following chemo. It's funny, I think he prefers the diarrhoea to the hiccups!!! The Creon have helped maintain his weight but Jeni the nurse on here has suggested he keep a food diary and they will advise if he should take more. He is on 40k and takes one with snack. Two with a meal and three with a takeaway.

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:40 am

Hi Annie,
Glad to hear that Jim is coping with the chemo. The hiccups can be a pain. Paul has been prescribed a small dose of baclofen which definitely seems to help so may be worth asking about.
Nikki

Annie14

Postby Annie14 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:27 am

Thanks Nikki - we will definatly ask about Baclofen.

marie souter

Postby marie souter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:40 am

Hi Annie,

So pleased hubby n u r coping well x

Hugs
Marie
/x

Charney22

Postby Charney22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:45 pm

I am so glad that Jim is doing well, I have been wondering