A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Fifi

Re: Husband just diagnosed at 36

Postby Fifi » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:46 pm

I have just finished reading Jim's book. He was so inspirational, he kept me reading until I had finished.

He never lost faith.

He made me smile, made me laugh amd made me cry. The love he had for Fiona and their little girl was so beautiful. I hope they can take strength from that. I hope when Caitlin grows older, she can read this and feel so amazingly proud of him.

All the time, all the way through his story, he said everything is for Fiona and Caitlin. Everything he went through, was to spend time with them and make memories for them both to cherish.

This story needs to be published. For those people that struggle so hard with their feelings, and feel so alone ( a lot like my Dad does ) could read this and they will read their own feeling staring back at them.

I am proud to have read his story.

Leila xx

Ant11

Postby Ant11 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:21 am

Hi Fiona

Just to let you know we are all thinking about you and hope that Caitlin and you are doing as well as can be expected. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you over the coming days, weeks and months. We are looking forward to reading Jim's story when you feel up to emailing it to us. Jeni has said that she has forwarded my email address. Take care with love xx

brodders

Postby brodders » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:17 am

So sorry to hear your news. My mum died last year 11 weeks after diagnosis- it is such a cruel disease. I read about Jim on the Pancreatic Charity website - you must be very proud of him and I have no doubt he is with you and Caitlin.

Take care and lots of love Cate Xx

Annie14

Postby Annie14 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:14 pm

Hello,

Thank you all for messages, they are lovely to read so thank you!!!

Jim's funeral was on Tuesday and it was emotional but lovely. I think we gave him a great send off. Caitlin did fantastic and was so brave. People kept telling me how strong I was, I didn't really cry, I think I'm still in the stage where I'm so relieved he isn't in pain anymore. The past three weeks had been really bad for pain so I think I'm just numb I guess, but accepting.

The Arsenal game was incredible. They had celebrities coming over to me as if I was the celebrity. I was absolutely fine on the day there but when I got home I felt very overwhelmed and it was the most emotional evening I've had. Probably all the free champers didn't help.

My family leaves tomorrow so that will be the biggest test. My friends and even people I don't know so well have been inviting themselves all round so I don't think I'll be alone much but it'll be nice to find a balance over the coming weeks.

xxx

J_T

Postby J_T » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:03 pm

It sounds like Jim got the send of he deserved. I'm still reading his book and it is interesting and helpful to me, even though he and Ray's experience with pc couldn't have been more different, so thank you to both Jim and you Fiona for sharing his thoughts.

I didn't cry at Ray's funeral either, and yes I think relief at his release played a part in that too. Ray was a Man Utd fan so maybe he and Jim will be sharing some friendly banter this weekend ;)

Sending love and strength for the coming weeks.

Love
Julia xxx

Annie14

Postby Annie14 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Aw I'm sure they are. Jim is actually a Man United fan too. Ivan Gazidas (Arsenal CEO) even made a joke about it in his eulogy at the funeral. He loved Arsenal and his job but Man United always came first. I'm sure he and Carl will be cheering them on. Xxx

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi Fiona,

Pleased the funeral went as well as you would have liked.

I think Jim will be playing a lot of Golf, hope they have some good greens for him up there. He said in his book that he wanted his Golf clubs with him, I bet he is playing right now.

I bet is difficult for you to be able to grieve, as you have to be so brave for Caitlin. I wish I could help you, and say more to help, but I can't. I don't know if it is a good thing to keep having people round, do you feel you need people with you? Or would you like time to yourselves? I think I would want both, and probably at the same time!

Here if you want a chat.

Leila xx

Didge

Postby Didge » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:41 pm

Fiona, glad the funeral went well and hope you manage to enjoy spring coming and the rebalancing of your life as people depart to go home. You know we are here whenever you need some forum support! And I can well imagine how emotional the game was - I think football matches are quite emotional anyway so it must have been a very intense experience x

J_T

Postby J_T » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:13 pm

Good to hear Jim had good taste in his football team! Funny, Ray worked at Everton latterly (after his career with the police service), always a lot of banter going on there too!