A forum for advanced pancreatic cancer issues

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
yorkypaul

Re: No bed available at hospital for gastric bypass!!!

Postby yorkypaul » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Not great news today. Scan shows a blockage in the stomach now. Did endoscopy as the procedure can sometimes open up a way through. Sad thing is, she actually feels a bit hungry now the drip is rehydrating her. Now they have put a feeding tube back up her nose again, just like after the gastric bypass op. It's strange how things were working properly again for 3 days after she got home, and now this blockage in her actual stomach ratjer than her duodenum. Dread to think what the heck it is. No feedback yet on the endoscopic procedure done late afternoon.. Hope to get more news tomorrow when I go up there. One step forward, 3 steps back.

laura

Postby laura » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:11 pm

oh dear paul, so sorry you have yet another hurdle to both get over, when we are waiting for results, we always fear the worst, human nature i guess, truly hope you get a good visit this w/e im sure she will be so happy to see you, not much i can add, other than my thoughts are with you both, as they are with susikas, n jools , not forgetting debsx also wondering how rachels doing? have only posted once folks to you all, to save moving current topics out of sight? did prefer old system where could see all current postings easily, not just three. take care all of you, my love and good wishes to you all laura xxx

susikus

Postby susikus » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:34 am

Oh Paul, good luck for today. I do hope you are able to find out more about what is going on and, more importantly, what can be done about it. Your lovely lady needs to be better for Friday. I will be thinking of you and sending you the most positive vibes I can today. You are doing a wonderful job on this horrible rollercoaster ride, stay strong and keep going, lots of love, Sue

yorkypaul

Postby yorkypaul » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:33 am

she was so very tired and weak when I arrived at the hospital today. She slept for the first 90 mins that i was there, but that mattered not a jot - just lovely to be with her!Just before i left, was advised that vitamins are to be given by iv just prior to the ng tube feeding. Surely that means they are though the blockage to the stomach? Tucked her in before i left. She was exhausted. cant wait to go back tomorrow afternoon. Hoping for an improvement tomorrow.
Thoughts and prayers with all of you and your loved ones.
Paul x

susikus

Postby susikus » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:42 am

Were they able to tell you anything about the blockage Paul? Or their plans to deal with it? I hope you have a lovely visit today. Big hugs and lots of love, Sue

DRAD3

Postby DRAD3 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi Paul - hope all OK today and that you were able to spend some precious time together. Do let us know how your lady is - we continue to keep everything crossed that there is some improvement. Thinking of you both.
Deb
x

yorkypaul

Postby yorkypaul » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi everyone. I'm still up there - taken day off today.She was better yesterday than Saturday.NG tube for feeding. Drip for hydration and syringe driver for anti sickness meds. No sickness. No pain, but very weak. Have seen an improvement over the last 24 hours though.I'm about to set off to the hospital and will drive back home from there at about 8.30 tonight.Yesterday she had soup and a light pud at both lunch and tea time. That makes me think they must have cleared the blockage. She will speak to the surgeon today. Will need to be stronger if we are to have our day on Thursday!
Thinking of you all
Hugs,
Paul

DRAD3

Postby DRAD3 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi Paul - I hope things continued to improve today and you felt happy to travel home. What did the surgeon say? We are all praying that your lady is fit and strong enough for your special day - if it was down to sheer will from you both and everyone else it would be simple wouldn't it? lots of love to you both.
Deb

susikus

Postby susikus » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:00 am

Oh Paul, I think about you every day. I do so hope that you are able to wed on Thursday. We will be with you in spirit. Love and hugs winging their way to you...
Sue

yorkypaul

Postby yorkypaul » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:57 am

Things were going great - no pain, no sickness and eating/drinking at last. Strength was building bit by bit. Then they removed the nasal feeding tube. Last night she was sick - 1 and a half litres. Looks like she is blocked again. Hopefully the doc will shed some light on this today. I am driving up at lunchtime in preparation for the big day tomorrow. I wonder if the tube was keeping the blockage to one side and, now tube is no longer there, the blockage has simply moved back across. I still don't know what the blockage actually was/is. Hope to find out more later today.
Thinking of all of you. 2 hours work today and then back up to the hospital. I'm reading your posts and thinking of you but am chasing about with little time. Will post later tonight I hope when the dust settles.
Hugs, Paul

susikus

Postby susikus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Been in hospital most of today but have been thinking about you and hoping all is ok for tomorrow. We have had it explained to us that the pancreatic tumour is sitting behind the stomach thus occupying space that the stomach would normally be able to expand into, and it was squeezing the duodenum, that is why a stent was put in to hold it open. Your lady has had an operation - but I'm not sure exactly what they did to bypass whatever was there. Hope you're getting some answers today. Lots of love, Sue

susikus

Postby susikus » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:12 pm

Oh Paul, you have not been far from my thoughts all day today. I hope you are now a married man and I hope also that you have been able to have the meeting with the oncologist. I'm sure we should be letting you have your honeymoon but will be waiting with anticipation for your update. Lots of love and hugs, Sue, xxx

DRAD3

Postby DRAD3 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:32 pm

Thinking of you both today more than any other day and hoping everything went well. Love to you and your lovely lady.
Deb
x

yorkypaul

Postby yorkypaul » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:33 am

Hi Sue and Deb. WE DID IT!!!!! She looked fabulous. Her son had bought 6 dresses in different sizes to be sure that one would fit, and it did! Very moving ceremony. I did struggle to hold things together. Then on to the oncologist (will fill you in on details later), then back up to the hospital one hour away. We did get time for a glass of fizz at my wife's house with a couple of friends first. I think it did her good! Got back to the hospital to nurses singing "Here comes the bride" and to find her ward bed trimmed with balloons! As I left, they were hooking her back up to stuff again and she had been sick. I have to take the portable driver back to the health centre today. On my way to the hospital now as I know she will have seen the consultant surgeon this morning.
You are all in my thoughts.
Paul x

susikus

Postby susikus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Congratulations! That is fab news, I am so pleased for you both. Hope the news from the oncologist and surgeon are good as well. Looking likely we are heading back into hospital today - just waiting for a call from the registrar. Good luck today Paul! Lots of love and hugs to you and your missus! xxx