A forum for advanced pancreatic cancer issues

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Dfarmer

Re: Heidelberg University Hospital

Postby Dfarmer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Great news Steve. Wishing you lots of luck.
Dawn
Xx

Winkle

Postby Winkle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi Steve,
Really hope everything goes well for you, the "saint doctor" I mentioned earlier, mentioned Heidelberg University to me today. He spoke of their progress in awe.
All the very best and I will be waiting to hear how you go on.
Lots of love
Kathy

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:47 pm

So, the tests are all done and I will be having my operation on 30th October. The operation will not be carried out by professor Buchler personally, but I have no issue with that as his team members are all senior, experienced surgeons in the field. I had a fresh CT scan which showed the tumour had shrunk a little more and discussed the details with another colleague of Prof. Buchler. The tumour was still in a difficult place to operate on (I thought he was about to say no at this point!), however if we are to intervene surgically, now is the time as further radiotherapy would not be helpful as far as surgery is concerned. They are optimistic of a good outcome and I am confident that they would not be going ahead if they thought it was not likely to end well. If however things do not go so well, they will use direct high power radiotherapy to hit it (or what might be left of it). I also had a lengthly chat with the anesthetist, who explained I would have a general anesthetic and an epidural would be fitted whilst 'under' to ensure I have no pain when I awake. He also went to lengths to point out that they consider this to be a routine procedure! My otherwise good health should make recovery relatively quick (by Whipples standards).

All very reassuring, good news and all that I could have expected in my position.

As an aside, I took part in a trial of a new 64 slice CT scan which apparently gives a much better picture in a shorter time. I did not actually see the results, but hope it helped in the decision making process.

One happy family in South Wales!

Take care all

Steve
X

J_T

Postby J_T » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Steve, what wonderful, wonderful news for you all! I'll have everything crossed for the very best outcome for you.

Go get 'em kid!

Julia x

davidandsam

Postby davidandsam » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Dear Steve

Awesome news and moving quite quickly as well. I am new to your journey but certainly seems to be going in the right direction.

We have everything crossed for you

David

Birchen

Postby Birchen » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:27 pm

Good luck Steve and hope everything goes well. You must be so pleased that an operation can be done.
Lyn x

Dfarmer

Postby Dfarmer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Good luck Steve. We're all rooting for you. You're a definite inspiration to everyone fighting and their families.
Dawn
X

EmmaR

Postby EmmaR » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:14 pm

Brilliant news Good Luck !! from another South Walian family have read your posts with great interest we were at Morriston yesterday having biospy results was that your local hospital ?
EmmaR

Bee

Postby Bee » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Steve,
I wish you all the luck in the world, got everything crossed for you and your family.

Bee xx

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks all for the supportive comments.... how things can change in a week! EmmaR, I was diagnosed at Morriston and have been treated at Singleton (I live nearby).

Steve

cestrian

Postby cestrian » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Great news Steve and everyone on here obviously rooting for you. Very best of luck with the operation and during the recovery period thereafter.

Love and Peace

Mike

nikkis

Postby nikkis » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:07 pm

That all sounds so wonderful Steve. My husband, Paul, had a Whipples without an epidural (nightmare pain wise), and then a pancreatectomy with, and when you consider it was his second big op in 2 weeks, he had no pain post op, so sure it will be the same for you. Out of interest did you get anywhere with your company medical insurance covering it? Paul still has a bit of tumour left, so wondering if going there could be an option in the future, post chemo.
Hope it all goes well, but it sounds like you are in really good hands,
Nikki

InfoForMum

Postby InfoForMum » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:53 pm

So pleased Steve,

Suspecting, when they wheel you down to theatre, you are going to be the most relaxed you've been for a while. No more fighting to get what you want and need for a short while and time to be cared for by the experts you've searched for, found and won over.

Wishing you the very, very best result and mega quick recovery.

Sarah
XX

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:43 am

Thanks again all. As far as insurance goes, my Company's suppliers are saying they don't normally fund anything outside the UK but are really uncomfortable with their own statement if the treatment is not available in the UK! They have asked for a breakdown of the bill, which they intend to present to the Trustees for consideration.

I will update on the insurance issue as information comes in.

Take care

Steve

Sones

Postby Sones » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:15 am

Fantastic news Steve. I had epidural when I had my whipples two years ago and I can honestly say I didn't experience any pain in the initial days following surgery. Thankfully I recovered well and was discharged after only six days. I wish you all the very best, keep posting.
Sue.x