A forum for advanced pancreatic cancer issues

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
Slewis7313

Heidelberg University Hospital

Postby Slewis7313 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:55 am

After very positive comments in other discussion areas regarding the pancreatic surgical work being done by Dr. Buchler in Germany, I thought I'd start a new thread specifically for this. There are a number of reports about Dr Buchler and his team having apparently successfully operated to remove PC tumours where the NHS were unable to. I have been in contact with Heidelberg who have requested copies of my latest CT scan. I now have these and will be forwarding them early next week. I don't know where this will go, but will attempt to document every step as a possible source of information for others. I do however know that the costs are very high and the NHS will not be able to refer patients or assist with these costs.

On a personal note, IF they come back with something for me it will be a real dilemma as my treatment seems to be going well with radiotherapy in a month or so (I know however that my PC is still officially inoperable) Something would have to discuss with my oncologist before coming to any decision.

I hope this will become of use to some of my fellow sufferers out there!

Take care

Steve

KATB

Re: Heidelberg University Hospital

Postby KATB » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:47 am

Do keep us posted Steve, I would be really interested to hear how you get on.

I'm glad your treatment is going well at the moment too - that's great. Go Steve!

Kate
x

J_T

Postby J_T » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:08 am

Steve, thanks for doing this, it WILL be really useful to sufferers and their families.

So pleased to hear your treatment is going well, long may it continue to do so!

JT

Slewis7313

Re: Heidelberg University Hospital - reference case

Postby Slewis7313 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:21 am

Please view the 'advanced cancer patients' discussion headed 'update on my husband' from Sueba dated 5 April 2013. This appears to be the first case reported within this forum.

Regards

Steve

KATB

Postby KATB » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:19 am

Hi Steve, yes I've seen that and it was hugely encouraging. Will keep everything crossed for you too.

Kate
x

Sueba

Postby Sueba » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi Steve
Glad to hear you have all options covered.My husband is now 8 weeks post op (operated on by Prof Buchler)and is feeling better week by week,he starts adjuvant chemo in just under 2 weeks time,something we are feeling quite nervous about as obviously after undergoing such extensive surgery he is not quite as strong as he was.
Good luck with your continuing treatment.
Sue

LindaH

Postby LindaH » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:54 pm

This is good news Steve and I wish you well and hope you are able to have the operation.

I would have to win the Lotto to be able to afford the operation, no way could we beg, steal or borrow that amount of money even though my life would depend on it, but I'm going to ask about the chance of the operation in the UK. I'll ask at x (edited-moderator) when I receive an appointment to see them.

Good luck with your pursuit Steve

Linda

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Received a response today from Heidelberg. They have reviewed my CT scans and are of the opinion that the likelihood of being able to remove the complete tumour at this time is "very small". They suggest I carry on as planned with radio chemotherapy and would like to re-assess thereafter. They also commented that my general positive response to chemo is reassuring. Looks like this aligns with the prognosis of the local MDT team, so we shall see how the tumour reacts to the rays.

Not necessarily a negative response, but it does serve as a reminder that however well I currently feel, there is still a challenge ahead!

This thread will now probably be silent until my next scan around mid August.

Take care all

Steve

J_T

Postby J_T » Wed May 01, 2013 7:35 pm

Definitely not a negative response Steve and they have to be realistic. Its good that your MDT seem to have it right and doing all the right things for you.

Good luck with the radio/chemo.

Julia

BB82

Postby BB82 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:13 pm

Keep us posted steve we too are looking into this hospital for my father. Gathering the scans together to send them on. Praying for you

Slewis7313

Postby Slewis7313 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:22 pm

The twists and turns in this process continue. My post-radiotherapy scan indicated a reduction in tumour size, but the thing still remains inoperable according to the MDT. I sent my latest scan CD's to several places and much to my surprise, Heidelberg are now willing to undertake the operation to try and remove the tumour. I have a consultation with them next week (10th) and they will hopefully give me a date for surgery. All a bit surreal, but it works for me! I don't know costs yet but am hoping my Company Medical Insurance scheme will pick up the tab!

I'll keep you all posted and as ever will be thinking of you in your own personal struggles with this thing.

Take care

Steve
X

J_T

Postby J_T » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Got everything crossed for you Steve. You could always sell the family jewels if necessary- arf!

LindaH

Postby LindaH » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Oh Steve my dear friend, gosh how I will be rooting for you I send you loads and loads of good wishes and come back from your consultation with 100% positive results.

Linda x

davidandsam

Postby davidandsam » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Dear Steve

After the recent flurry of activity on the forum I checked out the Heidelberg and it looks awesome! Clearly they are at the forefront of new technology and I hope you get to use the full hospitality.

I am sure the whole forum community will be keen to learn more as your journey progresses.

We have everything crossed for you at our side for your consultation on the 10th (even the dogs are sat with crossed paws!)

Good luck !!!!

David

belgrade

Postby belgrade » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Wonderful news Steve....wishing you all the very best.
Hilary