A forum specifically for patients only to use (e.g. newly diagnosed, recovering from surgery, having chemotherapy or patients in follow up).

Moderator: volmod

sandraW

Re: Mum of 42 recently diagnosed inoperable PC

Postby sandraW » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:31 pm

That's good news that you are feeling brighter today, but try not to do too much, and expect to have the see-sawing emotions that go with such major surgery. Off pain relief already that's fab, and its good that they are listening to you and making those adjustments, take care and let us know how you are love sandrax xx

jay

Postby jay » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:33 pm

Fantastic you are off pain relief Ruth,
hugs Jayne
x

Proud Wife

Postby Proud Wife » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:20 pm

Excellent! After the week I've had, I'm delighted to hear some good news!

Keep up the good work Ruth and come home soon x

Ruthus

Postby Ruthus » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:03 am

Just a quick update - had histology back this morning. Consultant said it was good news in that the tumour was completely removed and all 38/38 lymph nodes are CLEAR! It's classed as R1, but the Consultant said the R0/R1's have changed now and nothing in this really. He said its mainly due to tumor being 5 mm distance away but it's all out and I'm delighted no lymph node involvement. Today I am smiling
Ruth x

jay

Postby jay » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:04 am

Fantastic news Ruth no lymph nodes are involved,
love Jayne
x

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:51 am

Really great news Ruth xx

Ant11

Postby Ant11 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:04 am

Hi Ruth, so very pleased for you. Now time to recover and rest. Tracy would be so proud of you for kicking it's butt. Thinking of you always. Lots of love from us all Annette & Co xxxxxxx

Wife&Mum

Postby Wife&Mum » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:33 pm

I'm so delighted for you Ruth, now you can relax and concentrate on healing.
Love
W&M xx

Paige

Postby Paige » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:15 am

Hi Ruth,

Absolutely incredible news! So pleased for you, it sounds as though things couldn't have gone better.

Thinking of you,
Paige
Xx

boa

Postby boa » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:15 am

So pleased about your successful surgery. It's wonderful to hear the lymph nodes are clear. A wonderful outcome for you.
Catherine

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:54 pm

Brilliant news Ruth!

You are doing extraordinarily well!

Will they be recommending post-op chemo Ruth, or have they mentioned this?
Great news about the lymph nodes - all around, a great decision Ruth, which I am sure you are glad you went for now.

Wishing you a very speedy recovery Ruth.

Jeni, and all the nurses.
Support Team.

J_T

Postby J_T » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:35 pm

What incredible news for you, you must be feeling so relieved!

Long may the good news continue.

Julia x

Ruthus

Postby Ruthus » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi Jeni

I saw the Oncologist yesterday who said the 9 sessions of Folfirinox has worked very well for me. She recommended completing the 3 remaining Folfirinox as adjuctive chemotherapy. The team are going to liase with my Consultant in the UK with regards to this. The Oncologist stated a study has shown adjuctive chemo shouldn't be started any later than 12 weeks post surgery if I'm well enough. They recommended starting it 6 weeks post op.
I said I was aware that adjuctive chemo is used but wasn't sure of how long/type of treatment which should be used. I also asked whether I should be receiving more than 3 sessions or maintenance and the Oncologist said due to lack of evidence it's a bit of an unknown. I will discuss these issues with my Oncologist back in the UK.
I am 11 days post op. I'm getting up, walking around more easily. I seem to be walking freely. My appetite has really improved and I'm eating well. I've been off pain relief for around 6 days now. My main issue is getting the output flow of the illeostomy sorted out. I've been told it takes a while for the body to adjust but the flow has been too high. We are hopefully getting on top of this with medication. I'm taking 6 Imodium, fibrous stuff to mix with water and three opiate syrup shots per day! The past few days seems to have been more settled. If it continues over the next few days I've been told I could be discharged on Friday!
Naturally I'm much more tired and have been sleeping/lying down much more. This seems to be getting easier though too. I can be inpatient and hate being to tired/inactive but am aware this can last a long time!
Thanks for all your messages
Ruth xx

Wife&Mum

Postby Wife&Mum » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Keeping everything crossed for continued good news and a Friday discharge. xx

sandraW

Postby sandraW » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:50 pm

Ruth You mustn't be impatient, surely you can see the sense in taking your time now and reaping the rewards, rather than trying to do too much and perhaps delaying your recovery in the long run. My sister was just the same she had bowel surgery, I put my foot down and told her resting on the sofa was no good and she needed to go to bed in the afternoon for a couple of hours even if she didn't sleep, as like me she finds it hard to sleep or even nap during the day. She did listen and was amazed that each afternoon she had a good sleep gradually tapering it off after about 3 weeks she is older that you but her surgery wasn't as severe.
Lecture over now, I am so pleased to hear you are doing so well, and hopefully the problems with the illeostomy will be sorted out during the next few days, and you can get back home, but just remember take it easy, love sandrax xx