Chemo break

antboo-23

antboo-23

Hi all 

My mum has finished 6 months of gemcitabine abraxane. She's had a good result with 2 of the 3 liver lesions disappearing and the pancreatic tumour halving in size.

She finished chemo 4 weeks ago and has been well up until the last week. She now needs to rest a lot and her tumour markers have gone from 500 to 3000. CT scan last week showed no change in tumour and a PET scan is being scheduled.

Has anyone else experienced such a change so quickly after completing chemo? 

The oncologist 2 weeks ago was saying have a break and go on holiday etc but is now talking about resuming chemo.

We are all feeling very frustrated 

Any advice would be appreciated 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

An update in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation in the future--

My mum has had a stable PET scan since my original post, but has ongoing stomach pain similar to what she experienced before diagnosis. Her tumour marker dropped 600 in 2 weeks but CEA was raised at 33 (though not sure what earlier results were). Whilst there was no visible disease progression on the scans, the oncologist has resumed chemo because of her symptoms and tumour markers. Previously the Dr was suggesting Folfox or Folfiri, but has now scheduled a return to gemcitabine / abraxane because of her initial positive response.

I was hoping for a longer break off chemo than just a few weeks, but in a strange way relieved she is starting it again next week!!