Feeling Lost

moonflight

moonflight
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone, 

My Mum (75) ended up in hospital last week, and ended up with a diagnosis of PC (amongst a few other things).

I'm currently on maternity leave and live almost 4 hours away, so lots of time to think and get limited in what I can do. There's a few things that just don't add up and wondered if anyone could share their experiences?

Firstly, she said she's been told they've caught it very early and it will only need tablet chemo, not surgery.

From what I've read so far, it sounds like surgery is the initial go-to if they catch it early, so saying they won't do surgery doesn't sound good. Does anyone known of someone just being given chemo for PC and it going into remission? - I should add here that she's not getting her official treatment plan until next week, so I have no idea who told her this, how accurate it is, or if this isn't something she misunderstood/putting on a brave face (she didn't even tell me she was in the ICU for 3 days prior, and wouldn't let my Dad tell me either).

Secondly, more of a 'what do you do?' really... Given I'm not close by, have a young family (toddler and newborn), and I'm an only child, I'm torn between how would be best to help. I desperately want to be there, but moving our family isn't very easy at the moment. Leaving my almost 80 year old Dad to look after her just feels wrong though. Any thoughts? I've been given the option to visit either on my own or with the kids for a few days soon, but not sure what to do in the longer term. 

Thanks for reading

Edit: 

To add a third question, as her daughter, am I at all able to speak to the medical staff for updates? Would end all this second guessing to hear everything straight from the hospital, but as she's not currently admitted to the hospital, I have no clue if they would speak to me?

Edited by moonflight
*Adding new question