A forum for family, friends and carers of pancreatic cancer patients

Moderator: volmod

Forum rules
Please see the messages in our "Rules" section

The posts on this discussion board are made by members of the General Public and are not intended to constitute medical advice
sandraW

End of life care

Postby sandraW » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:44 pm

In view of what we have been discussing about end of life care I thought this might be of interest to some of the posters on here. .I found it interesting

http://www.hospiceuk.org/media-centre/p ... ing-adults
http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/NG31/ch ... munication

sandrax

Didge

Re: End of life care

Postby Didge » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:09 pm

Very interesting Sandra. It seems as if the hospice website has the right approach in saying that it cannot be a tick box exercise and yet in the Nice guidelines ar 1.2.3 (I think) it says discuss the prognosis with the dying person unless they do not want to be informed. Unfortunately by the time it has been established that they do not want to be informed the damage has been done. It seems that where distress has been caused, the tick box approach has indeed been operating!

allyc1

Postby allyc1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:58 pm

I agree Sandra it is very interesting. Especially on communication, it states how much the patient wants to know about their prognosis and end of life care. Unfortunately my dad didn't get the option, they kept telling him even when he didn't talk about it! That is my argument entirely.
Thankyou for your support all means a lot to know your not on your own.
Alison x

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi Sandra,

Like the others have said, very interesting. Thank you for posting it.

Leila xx

Ant11

Postby Ant11 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:00 am

Dear Sandra, thank you for posting this information. Your continued support and help to everyone is so very much appreciated even though you have been through this it is really kind and thoughtful. xx