Whipples resection

Lizbeth

Hiya,

i was just wondering if anyone knows whether chemo always happens after a whipples Op? my mum was saying that she didn't need to have chemo (doc told her that friday)would that mean the tumour is at a very early stage or?

Thankyou

Lizbeth

Hello Lizbeth

I think it's usual to have chemo after a Whipple's but it doesn't always happen.

After my Whipple's at the end of July 2009, I was told I was all-clear and didn't need chemo but was invited on to a trial where some had chemo and some didn't. I am one of the 'didn'ts'. As I have had full checks every three months I was pleased not to have chemo but now I do wonder if the extra treatment, even if unpleasant for while might have been a useful 'belt and braces' addition. I might even ask about it next time I see the oncolgist.

So, it isn't perhaps always essential so I wouldn't worry too much either was about your Mum if she recovers well without it. I would guess her tumour was caught early.

I could not be better (so far). Everything seems to work as well as before the disease started. Fingers crossed for us all.

Cleers

Cliff P

Hi Lizbeth,

After my Whipples I was told that I may do 3 months of chemo as a 'precaution'. I am not sure whether at the time the Dr on the team knew whether it was cancer or not as before the op, they had presumed it wasn't.

Kind regards,

Juliana

Thankyou for your posts...really helpful. My mum has been given the choice of Chemo now so is going to have it as a precaution...im am not sure as to what stage her Cancer was at....my next mission!I have tread carefully around her, dont want her to feel "not in control of everything. Thanks againXx

• 2 weeks later...

Chemo is not always applied after a Whipples although it is recommended. It depends on the severity of the tumour and the type of cancer. I had 6 cycles of Gemzar and Capcitabine. I made sure that I was never more than 3 minutes away from the nearest toilet.