Please please any hope?

Weeble

My dad was diagnosed yesterday and I am still reeling from the news, he is a healthy 67 year old man and up until 2 weeks ago our lives were just great. It has been devastating and I can barely function and carry out day to day tasks at the moment, my mind is everywhere, in a very dark place.

I came to this message board hoping to find lots of positive stories about people who have recovered and been fine but it just seems that there are so many terribly sad stories to be told and it has upset me even more.

Please does anyone have any hope to offer? I just need something to cling to at the moment.

With love

xx

Nadia - Support Team

I am very sorry to hear about your father - the good stories are on our biographies page of the web-site www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/PCBios.htm and the survivors keep in contact by email and casual meetings rather than the discussion board. A number of us will be at Reading Half Marathon on Sunday including 3 year survivor Trace who is running and 4 year survivor Les who will be representing the charity along with Suzette and Simon

Do you know whether your father can have surgery yet? Each patient is an individual and survival statistics are only averages - some can do well even without surgery but they tend to be busy with their lives so don't post here.

So keep in touch by email or through the board

Thanks, I will have a look. We will hear by Thursday whether it is operable, he is having the stent fitted on Tuesday so we have everything crossed. I am actually investigating alternative therapies at the m oment, things to help stabilise weight snd fight cancer cells. If you have any info that would be great.

I am feeling much more positive today, it kind of goes in waves, I may be a blubbering wreck in an hour or two.... I am in a fighting mood. :?

Hi weeble

so so sorry, there are several different types of pancreatic cancer. I've found info which says that if found early there is a modest chance of a cure, in it's later stages..not so good. My dear dear friend is in the latter category, only 45, found out on Tursday 29th Feb that it's palliative care from now on in.

Also found research that 'Bluberries' help to reduce tumour size, have been chucking blubberies (in many different forms) at my friend ever since....you know what there is always hope to cling too, and your Dad may be one of the cases where the tumour can be removed, my friend is one of the most optomistic, strong, brave women i know, and she reckons it aint all over till the fat lady sings...and i aint singing yet!

Don't know you at all, but feel your pain, i think that maybe this forum will be my saving grace, keep in touch, and I'll be thinking of you and your dad.

Thanks so much Nicky, it really helps that there are others going through the same thing who understand. We will find out on Thursday if dad can have the surgery and a stent is being fitted on Tuesday. I have also made an appointment with my homeopath to see if there is anything she can do to help. I have read a lot of positive experiences on this site and now feel really strong, You have to be don't you? I am no good to my dad as a blubbeing wreck...

I am thinking of your freind, do let me know how she is getting on. So young, what a hideous disease.

Wendy xx

In my previous post i mentioned that Blueberries were cited as reducing tumour size. In my panic reading i misread, it's bilberries....not blueberries!!! I can see it becoming a standing joke in my circle of friends, myself and mateys hubby have been practically forcefeeding her blueberries.....ahh well ! Bilberries from now on in.

Friend home very soon. Pain well controlled, and intent on sorting her garden out!!

Hope it's good news tomorrow for your Dad (ref operation), and that the stent fitting went as planned.

I'll let you know if i come up with any good Bilberry recipies!

Nicky

How funny, I have been extolling the virtues of Blueberries to my dad as well!

Unfortunately he was unable to have the stent due to an obstruction, maybe the tumour. The good news is that he has an appointment at The xx next week where they will discuss his options. I guess it is good that he has some options... I have been obsessively reading about natural remedies on the internet, it just gives me hope I suppose. I have spent a fortune on vitamins and wonder remedies! Oh well, you have to try I guess...

Glad to hear your friend is coming home.

xx

Hi Sharon

He is keeping his chin up but I know he was devastated about the stent as he just wants to feel a bit better and the jaundice and itching is doing his head in. The good news is that the xx have agreed to see him next week to see if they can do anything so that has been a bit of a ray of light.

I have been keeping myself occupied by obsessing about alternative therapies which to my surprise he is going along with. maybe he just wants to humour me or maybe anything that adds hope is a bonus. I have him doing a diet high in antioxidents, vitamins, b17 you name it! It's all worth a try and I have seen lots of positive stories.

Thanks for the post, it all really helps me.

xxx

hi i just wanted to say hello and relate a little of my mums story not all of which is sad.My mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer almost 6 years ago now and had a whipples then a course of gemcitabine chemotheraphy.The treatment and recovery was hard but it worked and she had 3 lovely cancer free years in which she lived a full and happy life.Unfortunatley she was unlucky and the cancer returned at the site of the clips that they put in during the op.mum sadly passed away in october 18 months after they diagnosed the 2nd time.

What i wanted to convey is that it can be fought mum had years of happy times and we have lovely memories.

I hope things go well for your dad i know what a terrible time it is especially this time in limbo waiting for news.Please try to stay positive there are wonderful genius oncologists out there and lots of things to try.I honestly do believe that mum would not of managed to live so long if she hadn't been positive and up for a fight so try to encourage your dad in that way if you can. Good luck and my prayers to you both love claude x

Thanks so much Claude, I really appreciate people taking the time to help my emotional state. I agree it is the waiting that is so terrible, when we found out for sure there was real feeeling of 'well now we know let's fight this' and my dad is lucky that he has a wide support network and lots of people praying for him. It is such a shock when such a healthy active person is struck down, it is so cruel. From the peak of health to the opposite in a couple of weeks.

Thery are going to have another go at the stent next week although they want to do more blood tests as they are now concerened about his liver for some reason - one blow after another....

So sorry to hear about your mum, glad that you were able to have so many good times together though, I guess that is one of the most important things.

Wendy xx

angelinamacc

Hi Wendy,

I just want to add my support, my mum had almost 3 good years after her surgery in which we had some fab times.

I know just what you are going through as do loads of others on the site, I found great support from them and still do.

I am adding my prayers to the others and much love to you all.

As for the health foods etc keep doing anything which may help as you need to be activley doing something during the wait.

Thinking of you

Angie

Thanks Angie, I really appreciate these comments, it is really helpful to me in this fragile state of limbo I'm in at the moment. I know my family think I am nuts buying stupidly expensive herbs and stuff in the vain hope they might help but I guess that is just my way of dealing with it all, I'm on a mission and it gives me a focus!

Thanks again xx

Hi all

Loads of stuff around about red/purple berries, and the Anthocyanin's in these fruits really have been proven medically to reduce inflamation, tumour size e.t.c. follow this link for hours of fun reading!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthocyanin

I'm a practical kinda gal myself, have even found a recipie for Bilberry wine...keep the faith

Nicky