This forum contains news that Pancreatic Cancer UK and forum users have shared over the years.
AnthonysDaughter

Pancreatic cancer in children-brief mention on bbc east mids

Postby AnthonysDaughter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:59 pm

Just thought I'd post on here, my mum sister and I are completely stunned ny a mention on BBC east midlands today of a news piece about a charity called wishes 4 kids, the kids all have different medical conditions, this one little girl who looked about 6years old it was mentioned that she was suffering from a rare childhood disease, pancreatic cancer! The poor little thing! Didn't even know it had affected any1 so young. Just thought id mention it xxx

louiepc

Re: Pancreatic cancer in children-brief mention on bbc east mids

Postby louiepc » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 am

how sad for the poor child and her family.

It is really strange, but everywhere I go, or most of the times I turn the telly on it seems to be mentioning pancreatic cancer. Now this may be because before Mum had it, I obviously didn't take much notice. It just seems in the public quite a bit at the moment, which is a good thing, if we can raise the profile of this horrendous disease, then maybe, we could get funding for R & D.

I don't know if any other carer's and family feel like this, but, I am really scared about mine and my children's future. I do believe that it can be inherited. My great gran died of very similar symptoms, over 60 years ago. My mum was about 4/5 at the time so I was getting it from a child's perspective, but she remembered her Nan, swelling up, her legs and tummy, and then her Nan dying. My Nan, Mum's mum, died prematurely in an accident, so we missed a generation, but with Mum getting pc, I wonder, could it be hereditry?

louie x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi Louie,

If you can email me at support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk, then I will help you to explore this, and get you some contact details.

KR,

Jeni.

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Postby PCUK Nurse Jeni » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi All,

Just to say that the type of pancreatic cancer in children is a very rare type of childhood cancer. It is called Pancreatoblastoma and is not the same type which adults suffer from.

Jeni.