help...very scared!

lmatrix73

Hi very worried. My husband had a whipples 3.5 yrs ago. He is only 44 now. We have been told from recent scan they are "as sure as they can be " that the cancer has returned. Next scan 3 months from now to confirm. We have 2 little ones and am very scared. Really need to speak to people who understand what's going on. Trying to believe there has been a mistake. We have been told he has a max of 2 years to live judging from nature of cancer, fact it has come back in same region (localised recurrence with several nodes surrounding mass?), will be inoperable as have already performed whipples. Could they be wrong? I need honesty from people who know...thanks

Hi

Just wanted to say how very sorry I am to hear that you are going through this awful time with your husband's new diagnosis. How frightened you must be to hear the news.

He is so young, too. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on what the doctors have told you. If you want a medical opinion, you could perhaps contact PCUK's Support Line (details at the top of each forum section).

All I can do is say that I can understand you must be going through such an awful nightmare right now and you may find it helps to keep in touch with us on here for a little support when you need it the most.

Hope you find the strength to cope with things in the immediate future.

Love

Ellie

xx

Thanks Ellie, it is quite comforting being on this site and getting a bit of support from people who understand. Really nice just to get a wee reply x

Hi

Sorry to hear your recent news. It is certainly worth contacting the support line. It helped me so much when my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He is 82 and had his op a week ago so we are taking it one step at a time. Sometimes there is hope when it feels like every avenue has been exhausted.

And we found in our case the doctor who gave my dad 3 months to live and said cancer was inoperable was wrong. 5 months on he is alive and kicking and had the whipples procedure. :?: You could always ask for another opinion.

Best wishes

Carmel

Hi

Lynbo mentioned me on the other thread of yours in the Carers section. Ted, my hubby, was told "a matter of months, not years" in February 2009 when he was diagnosed with inoperable pc. He's still very much here! In fact, right now, he's playing a game on his new laptop as I type this. He's had three rounds of chemo so far and has no intention of giving up the fight. I'm not sure whether it's the chemo, complementary medicine that we've tried or just his dogged determination but whatever it is I'm grateful.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the doctors can't predict how long. They can only give you the average statistics and their opinion. It's scary but keep going.

Kind regards

Nicki

Hi

Nicki is so right, everyone's bodies are different and no-one can say really what's to come, so chin up and be positive, everyone on this forum knows what your going through, so keep in touch.

Much love

Lynne xxxx

Thanks Carmel, Nicki and Lynne for your replies...they mean so much! Also, Ellie, I emailed the support team and they have been so helpful too. My husband and I are now starting to recover from the shock of the news we were given and are thinking we can fight this together...just need to wait for the next scan now in September...have got everything crossed and feeling more positive!

Hi

Well done you, that's the way, positive thinking, ask as many questions as many times as you need to at the hospital, and just take it a step at a time, keep us all informed xxx

Lynne