Aaargh!!!!!

Daddysgirl71

Daddysgirl71

I'm so glad I came across this forum as my subject heading says it all!

5 weeks ago my dad was a healthy, happy, fit just retired 65 year old. Over the weeks he was losing weight but put it down to being more active, then thought something wasn't quite right. Nearly 2 stones in 4 weeks without dieting is wrong so he went to his GP feeling otherwise ok. Well since then it's been a whirlwind, blood tests showed raised enzymes and then the jaundice came. An ultrasound last week showed a mass on his pancreas. This week he is off for a CT scan and a stent to ease the jaundice, with a biopsy being done at the same time. I am just stunned! How can he go from fit with no symptoms to having a life threatening cancer??? He is also Ill and tired now due to the jaundice...will that ease with the stent? Is chance he will be ok if the cancer is only in his pancreas? Will he be offered chemotherapy? I have read of whipples etc but don't really know what to expect now. Any help would be appreciated, I am just so scared he is going to leave us too soon!!!

Thanks for reading, it's probably garbled but I am all over the place,

Daddy's girl xx

Hi Daddy's Girl

Yes, it's amazing that something so serious can be going on when the person doesn't feel unwell. It happened to my husband that way. You might like to read the "Just Diagnosed" part of the PCUK website: www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/just_diagnosed.htm just to know you're not alone!

The jaundice should ease after the stent has been inserted. What happens next is very much dependent on how far the cancer has progressed and you'll know more about that this week. If it gives you any hope at all, my husband was told 6 to 9 months in February 2009 and is not only very much still with us, but fighting all the way!

Let us know how your Dad gets on this week and hopefully you'll have a little more information.

Regards

Nicki

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Daddy's girl,

I am sorry to hear about your dad, and the diagnosis he has had.

It is likely he will be offered chemotherapy.

When you have more information, and if you have more questions, please email me at the support@pancreaticcancer.org.uk address and I can hopefully provide more information for you.

Kind regards,

Jeni.

Daddysgirl71

Hi,

Thank you both for replying ... I feel a bit calmer today! Dad had his scan this afternoon, stent tomorrow so hopefully we should know what's happening by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted! Cross everything for us !!

Thanks again

X

Daddysgirl71

Hi,

Just thought I would give you all an update....Dad's stent procedure was unsuccessful as the tract has narrowed so he will prob have to get it done surgically then his CT scan showed possible traces on his duodenum so as we speak the medical board are discussing his case and he will hear at the start of the week what the course of action is to be. Yet another waiting gameto see if he will be a candidate for surgery....everyone is so non-committal it annoying!!!!

Anyway, back to having everything crossed!

Thanks for reading my rant

Suzy x

Daddysgirl71

I take it all back!!!! Hospital just called, he is to be re admitted tomorrow, stent put in and whipple next week!!! Woohoo. At last some positive news. I'll keep you posted xxxxx

Hi Suzy

So sorry to hear what you are going through but glad your dad is being readmitted and whipples is going ahead. That is positive news!

There are success stories with this awful disease. I had a whipples in 2006 and the tumour was also in my duodenum and here I am still with probable discharge from the hospital in October. The op is a big one but I was very lucky and was home eight days after. I will be following your dad's progresss. Please keep us posted.

thinking of you and your family.

Margey x