My Journey So Far

MSH

I am sorry to hear of your recent troubles Mark. I really hope the outcome of the scans are favourable.

Ruth

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J_T

• MSH

• PCUK Nurse Jeni

• Slewis7313

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick update. I was contacted by the endoscopy unit this morning who have asked that I have an ERCP with stent this coming Friday. This is marvellous news as it would suggest that my problems have been more mechanical and hopefully relatively easily fixed. When you have this you are heavily sedated and I can't remember much that the doctor said post procedure last time. I do recall him saying it was quite tricky, which I can well imagine. There must be a lot of scar tissue around there. I was gardening for an hour this afternoon which represents real progress. We can but hope.

Mark

That's very positive news. Glad to hear this. I was very fearful of my ERCP but found it nowhere near as horrible as I had anticipated. Good luck!

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Mark,

Good to hear about the repeat stent procedure. I hope it goes really well, without any hitches.

As Dianne said, you are doing remarkably well. Keep it up - we are all behind you!

Jeni.

Hi Mark,

My Grandmother had very similar symptoms and ended up having a stent fitted into the common bile duct. Her oncologist thinks it's scar tissue from the NanoKnife that caused the blockage. She is now feeling good again. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

"We can but hope", and we all do Mark.

Good luck with the new stent, hope all goes well and you continue to improve daily.

Best wishes

Julia x

Proud Wife

Delighted to read your last post Mark. Really delighted.

The very best of luck. Hope the procedure goes well for you. Keep us posted.

I fear this will be my last update. I had an ERCP last Friday which found a stent which was obstructing at times, fixed by inserting a second plastic stent. It also found gastroparesis. Who'd have thought that the stomach was so important? Essentially nothing seems to get past my stomach, even fluids, so I'm starving to death. I have minimal pain no nausea, it's just that I feel weak and without energy.

I suppose this must be related to the pancreatic cancer in some shape or form, but it is hard to see how. Anyway it looks like my greatest fear, that the bony metastases would start playing up won't happen. Looking forward I think we are probably down to days judging on the past week or so. I've tried sub-cut metoclopramide but it just made me uncomfortable and full and I've decided to try and avoid needles.

I planned my funeral over 3 years ago when I was told I had cholangiocarcinoma. From that respect I have had 3 years of quality life, with holidays to treasure. I have asked my wife to close this thread at the appropriate time.

So I bid you adieu my forum friends. We have come quite a way. May those still struggling with this disease go a great deal further.

Mark

Mark, I don't think I have posted on your thread before but since I joined the forum you have been an inspiration to me and many others. I am immensely saddened by your post but I find great joy reading about your quality of life over the past three years and the pleasure you have had from holidays. Thank you for the help and support you have given us all. Catherine

Dear Mark,

I have followed your story and You have been inspirational. I am saddened to read your post and I have tears in my eyes but I am happy you have had such memorable holidays and a good quality of life over the last 3 years. Mark you have been an amazing support and your posts have been informative and supportive. I can only wish you weren't going through this latest development. Take care Mark and I wish you and your family strength and love.

Thinking of you ,

Love Sue xxx

Proud Wife

Dear Mark

Having just read your last post, I am struggling to find the right words but the fact that you posted makes this forum such a special place.

I am just so very sorry, very to hear your news. When I read you were able to tend to the garden I really thought things were looking up for you again. I can only ditto what Sue and Catherine have said about you being inspirational on here and such a help to others, myself included. Thank you so much for that.

All the very best to you and your family. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Love PW xx

Dear Mark,

I have "no words". Your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for the emails and support that you provided for Tracy, we so appreciated the kindness you showed. As others have already said you inspired us all and always provided such useful information and gave us all hope with this vile disease. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Love Annette x

Mark, you truly are a brave and courageous man to post and let us know what is happening, its such a shock to us all and I too write this with tears in my eyes.

You have been such a tremendous help and inspiration to us all, I am sure you were an amazing GP too.

You certainly never let this horrendous disease stop you doing it your way, and I loved to read about your holidays and how much you enjoyed them. sending you a cyber ((hug)) love and strength to you and your family love sandrax xx

Mark, not sure if you mean you will not be on here to read posts either, but would just like to mention nutrient enemas should you wish to keep going a bit longer to explore if there are any options. I am sure as a doctor you will be aware of nutrient enemas but appreciate that it would be considered a temporary measure as would intravenous feeding (which never seems to be offered when a patient nears the end anyway). Other than that, you have been a sane and inspirational presence here, keeping up with and sharing medical advances and research including 'alternatives'. But if this really is nearing the end for you, I just wish to thank you and hope that you are at peace and pain free. Didge xx

WifeampMum

Dear Mark, I think this is the first time I've post on your thread and I am so sorry that I'm doing it at such a sad and difficult time for you and your family. Your posts have been warm, wise, educational, uplifting and sincere, and I'd like to thank you for each and every one of them. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones. Wife&Mum xx

I am so sorry to hear this Mark - You have been an incredible inspiration to me. When I was first diagnosed yours, Tracy and Steve's stories were of great hope to me. They were the only stories I could find which gave me some hope of prolonged life after this terrible diagnosis.

I am glad you have had some wonderful times and holidays with your family. Thinking of you and your family.

Love Ruth

Dear Mark

So very saddened to read your latest post. As you know, I have followed your story from the start as you were diagnosed at a similar time to Ray. You have handled your illness with such dignity and positivity and as you say, three quality years to share with your family. Memories I know they will treasure. I am really hoping that you will be able to post again, if not

adieu my friend, you will be missed.

With much love

Julia xxx

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Dear Mark,

As with all the others who have replied to you, I wanted to respond personally to you to say how very sorry I am to read your post.

From meeting you at the APPG first meeting, where you spoke as a patient, and having a lovely Christmas dinner with you and all the others, it really has been a pleasure.

I loved reading your positive posts as well, describing all your wonderful holidays, and the manner in which you wrote in particular. It was always so positive.

You have certainly defied the statistics of pancreatic cancer, and it was great to hear of all the treatments you had, and how well you did after these. Everyone looked forward to your updates.

Inspiring has been mentioned a lot here Mark - you certainly were that. Its great to hear that you have minimal pain - long may this be so.

Mark - you are in our thoughts. And as you said yourself, adieu for now at least.

Jeni, on behalf of the support team.

Dear Mark

Thank you for your positive, straightforward posts, sharing of information and help you have given.

Thank you for speaking to my Dad.

I can't imagine how you must be feeling.. You've been such a support to so many others I truly hope that this forum, at least, has been a source of support for you too.

Wishing that you remain pain free. Sending love and strength to you and your family.

Goodbye for now.....

X

Dear Mark,

I haven't posted on here for a long time but always keep an eye on everyone's stories. I have followed your journey from the start, I think you posted for the first time at around the same time as I did about Chris.

I am so sad to hear your news, I hope your remaining time continues to be pain free and peaceful. I am sure you will be surrounded by love, with a million memories in your mind.

Sending love to you and your family

Bee xxx

Mark you and Steve were the two guys that I kept telling my hubby about when I joined the forum in sept 2013 sadly my OH only lived 8 weeks after diagnose when he was poorly he would say ask the Dr on the forum and the chap from Swansea what should I do ! It was people like you and the ladies on this forum kept me sane we all go through the journey with this vile disease with as much hope as we can muster and you had plenty of that ! so if you think your journey is coming to its end may it be pain free and peaceful and know you made a difference .

Love EmmaR X

Dear Mark,

I'm struggling to find words to express how sad I am to hear this. You have been such a strength and support to all on this forum. I remember your first response to me when we didn't know if my husband had cholangiocarcinoma or pancreatic cancer. Sadly, my husband only lived for 7 weeks following his diagnosis in July 2013. I am so glad that you have had the opportunity to have three good years and hope these memories will support you and your family in the coming days.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Hilary

Dandygal76

Hey Mark, I did write a post on here earlier and before my other posts but it hasn't worked. I hope you get to post again, you have been such an inspiration to many. When I felt all was lost... there was your post of hope. And your thread will go forth and help so so many people. And if it helps all those people survive 3 years... with things as they are now, you may have saved a lot of people. I wish you no pain and calm. I am not religious but agnostic.... there has to be more than this. I would rather see you back on here but if not... we will see you on the other side. Stay strong and much love to you and your family. x

Dear Mark,

I am so deeply saddened to read your latest post, I am so sorry to hear this. I have followed your story since you joined and you have been such a tremendous support to others on this forum, my Dad found your updates so uplifting. You have given others so much hope. The lovely holidays you have had with your wife will be beautiful memories treasured always. You have been so inspirational, continuing to go on skiing holidays is incredible. I just don't quite know what to say l, thank you for all the support you have given and for keeping the forum updated at such a difficult time, I will miss seeing yor updates.

Thinking of you and your family.

Paige

Xx