• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sueoliver

• sandraW

• Didge

• brodders

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick update. Mum came home on Tuesday and seemed fine on Wednesday. She was getting her head around injecting insulin and doing really well! Thursday morning at 0640 phone rings and my stepfather says he can't wake my mum! I flew round thinking the worse! She was breathing heavy when I got there but we couldn't wake her! Called the ambulance and her blood sugar was very low!

Thursday was awful we were in A and E and then emergency medical unit. I was told she could go at anytime! Anyway to cut a long story short she is now on a ward! They are stabilising her blood sugar and treating her for an infection!

I have aged 100 years and I am a total wreck! Let's see what the next few days bring!

Love to everyone out there,

Sue xxx

Sue,

What more can your poor mum cope with, and you too, its so hard for you I am sure. Fingers crossed that they can get her stabilised, thinking of you love sandrax xx

Quick update... Mum seems slightly confused! Saying things that aren't quite right! She has also had 2 falls in last 24hours. She has a big bump on her head!

Has anyone else experienced confusion? Could it be because her sats are low?

What an awful illness!

Love Sue x

Hi Sue, hope your mum is a little better this morning. Jem was confused but that was due to high levels of bilirubin and the infection from biliary sepsis

Thinking of you all

love Jayne

x.

Hi Sue

What a roller coaster you are all having at the moment, I know exactly what you are going through after experiencing it first hand with my dad, and just being so helpless!

My dad suffered with confusion, but I think some was the medication as he seemed to be on a high dosage, and also when he had an infection and was dehydrated too was a factor.

I hope your mum gets well she truly is a fighter, just like my dad he suffered for a year he never got any peace from that awful illness, he died 3 weeks ago peacefully in bed,which I am relieved for, even though you know its coming its still a big shock, and I think that's the hardest thing to deal with is how they will be at the end? That was my hardest thing especially as my dad had all his faculties still.

Thinking of you Sue you are sadly not alone

Alison x

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear all this latest on your mum.

How are her blood sugar levels now? Are they still low? Low blood sugar levels can certainly cause confusion, and even aggression sometimes. Its just one of those things which happen when they drop.

If they were very low when she could not be woken up, then could be that they are fluctuating up and down now as well.

I am sure you have let the staff know, and perhaps impress upon them that this is not "normal" for mum.

Kind regards,

Jeni.

Hi Jeni,

Her blood sugar was 21.9 when I left the hospital! I have told them this is not at all like my mum! The occupational therapist saw her today and had a chat.

I haven't spoken to anyone yet even though I have asked and asked! I have said I want to see a DR tomorrow! The only thing the nurse told me was her electrolytes were all over the place but I don't know what that means?

This is all very worrying!

Thankyou for your reply and reading my post.

Sue

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Sue,

That makes sense.

When the electrolytes in the blood go out of balance, things like sodium, potassium etc..., then she certainly can get confused and seem not to be making sense. They can correct this by giving the fluid containing these intravenously, and also, adding in medication.

The high blood sugars are not helping - its not great that her blood sugar levels are fluctuating so much from low to high. Perhaps they will fit an insulin pump so that its more reliable?

Take care,

Jeni.

Today the levels were even higher 26.9! Spoke to a DR who just said they were treating the diabetes! She hasn't even seen an oncologist. I am not happy! The DR said they are working on getting her home with a different care plan! I have so many questions but nobody at the hospital can or will answer them!

What is going to happen if they send her home like this? I know she wants to go home but surely the blood levels have to be better!

Very frustrated!

Sue xxx

PCUK Nurse Jeni

Hi Sue,

Certainly would not be advisable while the blood sugars remain high, hence why I mentioned an insulin pump, a much more reliable way in the community to stabilise blood sugar levels.

Can you ask about this, or ask to speak to her diabetic nurse to see what the new plan is?

KR,

Jeni.

Hi Jeni

Thankyou for your replies. The sugar levels were back own to 8 and 10 today! Saw a DR but they don't really tell you anything apart from they are treating the diabetes! Mum is so tired and her legs are swollen again! They sent a physio round today so she did some chair exercises! Her breathing seemed quite quick.

She has a nurse(health assistant) sitting with her all the time! I questioned it and they said because of the risk of falls.

I questioned the cancer but the medical doctors have no idea! Surely this is the cancer "doing its thing" and causing havoc? Shouldn't she be under oncology? I don't really understand any of it. It is her birthday tomorrow and I have bought her a pandora bracelet and charm.

Love to everyone going through this it has been a long 18 months with some really good times but some really bad times as well!

Sue xxx

Sue,

I hope your mum has a good birthday as she can, and she likes her bracelet. hope you get it sorted but at least if her sugar had come down, that is better news, love sandrax xx

Hope your mum had a great birthday! I agree with you 100% that good times and horrible times, but I hope the good times have made those tough times worth it

Rob

x

Hi Sue,

Sorry I haven't post here for a while. Have my reasons, but it is no excuse and I am sorry.

So sorry to read about your Mum, I really hope she has improved by now? Also hope you have seen someone about the actual cancer. I know when my Dad was in hospital, they seemed more interested in the stroke rather than what the cancer was doing to him. Very frustrating.

Hope your Mum managed to enjoy some of her birthday, and the present you got her sounds absolutely beautiful and I sure she loves it.

Always thinking of you

Leila xx

Thankyou Leila and please don't apologise! Mum was discharged yesterday and is now at home! She really wanted to be at home! Her stomach and legs are very swollen again, especially the legs! She says they are very sore!

I am very wortied about her and I'm not sure how much more she and her body can take!

This morning her blood sugar was 3.9! This is low! It just doesn't seem to regulate.

I have convinced myself something else will happen and I am on edge! She is very weak and very poorly!

Sending my love to everyone.

Sue xxx

A quick update... Mum is at home and her blood sugar levels are actually much better at the moment! She' s very tired and her legs and stomach very swollen! Her legs are leaking fluid again. She has cold hands and feet and a slight cough. She is also suffering with diaorrehea especially during the night!

She is deteriorating and it is heartbreaking. I know there is never a good time but with Christmas looming it is so sad as you just can't feel happy and festive!

I send my love to you all dealing with this disease.

Sue xxx

Hi Sue,

So sorry to hear about Mum not doing so well, as you say its even harder at this time of year, I am thinking of you, and sending yet more love and strength to you, love sandrax xx