Mum's battle

bevstar

I haven't posted for over 12 months but have read the posts almost daily. Mum was diagnosed last April with inoperable pc a tumour at the head of the pancreas. She had a stent fitted and decided not to have chemo. The stent helped with jaundice but her appetite slowly declined she has lost 3 stone. Mum is 83 this year and has been doing really well she has had good days as well as bad. This last few weeks she has had stomach pain and back pain so had a scan last week the results came back the cancer has spread to her liver and lungs. She is on morphine now to help with pain but has been sick and dizzy. Mum is a very positive person I am sure that has helped her on this journey she will carry on fighting it.

Bev x

Sueoliver

Hi Bev,

My mum was diagnosed last May and is also very positive and a fighter! My Mum did have chemo but has had a break for last 3 months , she actually has an oncology appointment this afternoon.

Your Mum has been amazing and sounds like she has truly fought this wicked disease! I am so sorry to hear it has now spread but hopefully she will stay positive and keep fighting.

The only thing we can do is be there for them and be supportive. I have good and bad days as well as I am sure you do too!

Stay strong,

Love Sue x

Leedslass82

Hi Bev and Sue,

So sorry to hear of both of your mum's diagnosis'. Mine is exactly the same. She had the whole pancreas removed in April 2014 with lots of complications and now she has a recurrence where the pancreas was. She is also on Morphine (tablets twice a day and the liquid stuff every 2 hours).

We also have her oncology appointment tomorrow to decide what other treatment she has. She said no to chemo at first as the last lot made her really ill so only had one session (on the advice of her oncologist).

My mum was only 60 last month so it is a really big shock for us all.

Good luck with your appointment Sue and let's keep the positive thoughts flowing for all of our mums.

Love Becky x

Hi Sue and Becky

Good luck with both mum's appointments. Mum's having a bad day today she feels really down. I think it's the first time she has said that. I will call the doctor if she feels the same tomorrow.

Thankyou for your support its a great help knowing we are not alone.

Love Bev x

Hi BeV, sorry to hear your mums cancer has spread, being positive has got to help, it's so hard when the people you live have down days. Hope you are ok too rachel

Bev, sorry your mum's news isn't better, but she has done so well without any treatment and to stay positive with this most devastating of dieases. I hope she feels better tomorrow.

Sue and Becky I hope your mums' appointment go well. Fiona X

Sueoliver

I hope all the Mums are feeling a bit better today! The oncologist was very pleased with mine and she doesn't have to go back until June when she will have a scan and see what the Cancer is up to! Worrying but she is happy!

Sue x

Mum has continued to feel down this last few days. She has not eaten very much. Her stomach is swollen and she seems to have a lot of wind and is nausea. I called the doctor out and she gave her some anti sickness tablets and some mintec to help get rid of wind. I only live a mile from mum but I am staying at her house as she lives alone with her two little dogs. I've not seen mum look so bad this awful disease is basically making her starve to death I hate it!!!

I hope all other mum's are having a better day.

Love Bev x

Hi Bev,

Sorry to hear your Mum is not doing too well, this is such a terrible disease. Just to let you know I am thinking of you both, kind regards sandrax

Hello all

Your mum's all sound truly amazing stay strong and take care of your self's . Bev do you have support from your local hospice they were brilliant for support and advice for my mum they made most of the decisions re pain relief and they also had dietitians for advice and support .

Tara x

• 2 months later...

Mum is now in hospital, she had an awful week of pain and sickness. She was vomiting black and then changed to red. She had a procedure to stop the bleeding they found she had an ulcer very close to her bowel. Mum lost a lot of blood and had 3 transfusions. She is very weak and has lost loads of weight. She wants to come home but at the moment doctor is trying to get everything under control. Mum has battled on for 18 months and won't give up without a fight. This is a sad time trying my hardest to stay positive and not get upset in front of her.

Love Bev x

Its awful to watch your parents like this, i am the same with my dad, he was once this big strong man and now he is just so weak and frail. You do have to take one day at a time and try to remain positive, its hard but i find you do get stronger. Take Care x

Sorry to hear your mum has had an awful week...hope the medical team can get the pain and sickness under control very soon.

You and your mum are in my thoughts, stay strong xxx

Hi Bev,

Sorry to hear you mum is not doing too well at the moment, just to let you know I am thinking of you and I hope there is some improvement soon, take care sandrax xx

Thankyou all for your kind words. Mum is very much the same still in the hospital, her only wish is she wants come home. Hopefully today things can be sorted out with palliative care team. I am thinking of you all in the same situation fighting this dreadful disease.

take care

love Bev x

• 2 weeks later...

Mum spent 5 day's in the hospital and came home. Things were ok for a few days but had to go back in last Tuesday. She had another camera procedure to see what was happening and the tumour has come through the bowel wall. It is bleeding a lot and can't be stopped. She lost a lot of blood so had blood transfusion so she could come home. Mum is at home now and we have a team of carers and nurses looking after her. The doctor has said it will only be a few days as each day passes she gets really weak and sleeping a lot. My mum has battled this awful cancer since last April but so sad it has caught up with her.

Thinking of you all

Love Bev x

Bev, so sorry your Mum is so poorly but at least she's home with her family around her and getting the care she needs. It must be very difficult for you but you're doing everything you can. Take care.

Sue

Hi Bev,

Sorry to hear that your lovely mum is so poorly, this disease is relentless, and so cruel. I am glad your mum is getting good care, and as Sue says at least she is at home, which is something I couldn't manage for Trevor.

I hope she just drifts away as Trevor did and that you can all be with her as she passes, thinking of you all love sandrax xx

Today mum is very tired she is feeling sick and cold. The doctor is on his way when she is part awake she is uncomfortable and very thirsty. Today is dad's birthday he passed away 4 years again mum mentioned it early morning. I'm thinking has she been waiting for today. I just want here to be peaceful.

Thinking of you all

Love Bev x

Today mum lost her battle against this relentless disease. She was at home and was peaceful. From her diagnosis 16 months ago she has been a fighter staying positive all the time. She declined chemo and managed with pain relief. I have found this forum invaluable and knew nothing about pc at the beging of mum's journey but know lots now. I have lost my mum and best friend I can't express how much it hurt.

Thank you and stay positive

Love Bev x