Mum's diagnosis

Sueoliver

Sending you lots of Strength to both you and your Mum Sue. You are one amazing lady who not only supports your lovely Mum but so many others who are on this awful PC journey. xx

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sueoliver

• sandraW

• Didge

• brodders

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad the hospital is behaving itself this time! It's always a shock when you don't have to fight the system! Hope your mum is feeling a little better from the food!

Rob

x

Thankyou for the lovely comments. Mum had the dye and it showed the stomach is swollen so food not going down properly yet! Still soft foods soup and ice cream. I think this is going to be a long process! She is weak and tired and I really hope she has some recovery from this as she has been through so much.

Sue x

As long as she is getting nutrition one way or another! I do hope she keeps fighting on - as you say she has been through so much but her determination means she would not have done anything different. Thinking of you both, Didge x

Sue,

Glad the procedure is over and done with, your poor mum she has been through so much bless her.

Hopefully now she can get some strength back and slowly start to eat again.

Sending you all, love and the best of wishes you are in my thoughts all the time, try to take care of yourself too, love sandrax xx

Visited tonight and Mum is very down. She said they don't leave her alone! While I was there they took blood which took them 15 minutes to get any, pricked her finger to check blood sugar, gave her insulin injection in her stomach and then tried to put another canula in where they tried 11 times! Then they were calling another DR to try again. Her heart was racing and her blood sugar was 26 . Does anyone know if this is dangerous when you have pancreatic cancer? Her hand is also very swollen and when I asked the nurse she said it was because she's not eating much! Is this true?

I was so upset when I got home because I felt so sorry for her. She just wants to go home.

Trying to stay strong. Sue x

Ah sue so sorry to hear your mum isn't getting any peace .Steve's sugar levels have reached 30 at its highest , I'm sure her levels will go down soon keep strong so hard to watch loved ones in pain x

Sue,

I have been wondering how you were all doing, sorry to hear Mum is still not feeling any better.

Is her hand swollen where she had previously had a canula fitted? because I know the fluid can sometimes go into the surrounding tissue, if the line gets blocked, and cause swelling. I'm not surprised her heart was racing if they tried 11 times to get a canula in place.

As for the high blood sugar it obviously isn't good, but as insulin is produced by the pancreas its bound to make it more difficult to control and being generally unwell and not eating will also affect it.

sending you love and hugs sandrax xx

Mum has hit rock bottom! She is exhausted and very down! Managed to get hold of a lovely oncology nurse yesterday who went to see her as I was so worried. She phoned me twice to talk to me. She thinks it is mainly due to tiredness as they woke her every hour to prick her finger throughout the night. Her blood sugar is back down to 9.1 now so hopefully they don't need to do this every hour any more.

The next couple of days are crucial to get her eating solids to see if operation has been successful. Mum doesn't want to eat! She can't go home until she eats!

This is so hard she has been through so much this isn't my full of life, lively energetic Mum any more but this is still the Mum I love with all my heart.

Love to everyone. Sue xxx

Mum should be out of hospital Friday or Saturday as soon as the TPN has finished. You have to be weaned off it! The last two and a half weeks have been hard. Mum's recovery will be better at home as she has had enough of the hospital and cannot stand the food, she told me this today. She is very down and being at home will lift her spirits! She can watch the tennis next week.

The pallative nurses will be going to help her everyday with personal care while she needs it. She is very fragile. We have now been told that there is nothing else that they can do if she gets another blockage.

I hope she can have some quality time now without any issues. She told me today that she will not ever go back into hospital!

Thankyou Chris and Jeni for e mailing me it really helps to have information.

I am praying she gets to see her Granddaughter on her wedding day on the 29th August.

Love to everyone.

Sue xxx

Hi Sue,

I am sure when she gets home she will feel happier, and its better for you not having to go to the hospital, for visiting, I am not surprised she is fed up bless her, she has had a rough time.

I hope she is well enough to go to the wedding, it will be so special for you all.

Thank you for letting us know thinking of you take care love sandrax xxx

What good news that she is coming home - there's no place better and she will get the care she needs with less stress on you regarding visiting. I know my husband hates being in hospital and I know he won't go back unless he's desperate. Fingers crossed for the wedding, at least she has a little time to get over this ordeal.

Good luck.

Sue

Hello Sue

Wishing your mum a smooth recovery and hope she is soon feeling stronger. Look after yourself too Sue. Thinking of you both xxx

That's great news for both of you! It's no good having to deal with the hospitals all the time, she will feel far more comfortably in her own bed.

Rob

x

So pleased your lovely Mum is able to go home.

How is she Sue? Is she managing to eat ok now?

Keep staying strong. You have it so very hard, but you are doing so well, and your Mum will appreciate this and she will stay strong because of you.

Leila xx

Your mum sounds amazing, I hope she is doing so much better being at home and will enjoy next week's tennis. You are amazing too, so hard being on edge the whole time and being strong.x

Very strange day today. Hadn't seen Mum over weekend as I went on my daughters hen weekend to Cambridge. It did me good to get away! Phoned her up to say I was popping round and she was really touchy on the phone. She said the mobile and phone never stopped and it was disturbing her sleep! I didn't go round till about 4p.m and she hardly spoke just sat in her chair and dosed on and off. I ended up watching Andy Murray on the television!

I know she is exhausted but it was upsetting. It is sad to see her like that. She is eating and drinking which is good. She has help morning and evening which seems to be working and certainly helps me.

Not really sure what to expect now just hope she improves a little day by day.

Love Sue x

Its so good that your Mum is eating and drinking again, and of course she will be tired after all she has been through, and coming home after a spell in hospital is always exhausting, but as you say just lets hope she continues to improve, she certainly is a fighter.

Good too that you had a break, and enjoyed your weekend, I am sure your Mum was pleased to see you, and at least you were there with her, and watching Andy win was a bonus. love to you all sandrax xx

Quick update mum was very uncomfortable today and kept saying how hard it all was! She managed to have her hair cut at home though and it looked really nice.

She is still very tired and her feet and legs are swollen! The swelling in her hands and arms seems to have gone!

I feel so sad watching her and I feel like I'm drowning a bit at the moment!

Love to everyone out there going through this emotional roller coaster.

Sue xxx